The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Airship CNC Stainless Cups and Balls First Impression (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thegreatscungilli
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I got a set of the Paul Fox style CNC stainless cups from Airship and I have to say they are REALLY nice... and service from Airship was top notch.

These things will last forever and it would be hard to dent or ding them even if your routine really clangs and bangs the cups.

They are heavier than the spun stainless steel cups and the Johnny Paul steel cups that I also use, so you have to get used to them but they balance well and they fit my medium sized hands very well.

The fit and finish are excellent and done in a nice satin on both the outside and interior with a mouth of about 2 5/8". The saddles are nicely dimpled.

Even though the finish is satin there are a couple of moves (like the Fako) that could flash a reflection if someone is close by and you are not careful. I used yellow or red crochet balls ..not a big problem but you might need to use a little more cover in those instances.

Two moves that I found took some extra practice are the galloping post and the cup thru cup move due to the weight..

They are expensive so not for everyone but they will definitely last with no concerns about the getting out of round etc.. All in all if you can pony up the price they are a really nice set.
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Jake’s stuff looks great. I want to try to convince him to make a set bigger than the stroller cups but smaller than the Paul Fox cups that will handle a 2-inch load ball. That and the smallest cup possible that will handle a baseball.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Jake is a good guy.. He even said that if they ever got dented for some reason I could send them to him and he would polish any dents out at no charge but given the weight I think the only way you could dent them was to drop them directly onto concrete.. I asked him about a matching chop cup and he said he was designing one that he hoped would be out in spring..
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6723 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2019, thegreatscungilli wrote:
These things will last forever and it would be hard to dent or ding them even if your routine really clangs and bangs the cups.

I cannot imagine anyone doing that! At THAT price?? >Shudder<!

Doug
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I think I got virtually everything Jake I made in stainless steel. Starting with the very first set of PF cups. He was not happy with them and produced a second run that I still treasure. These were sent at no charge. Class act. I think it is the overlooked best choice of metals.

Hopefully, they will sell the last set while I'm still honoring my New Years' Resolution. They do look beautiful.

Hold me back....
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2019, thegreatscungilli wrote:
Jake is a good guy.. He even said that if they ever got dented for some reason I could send them to him and he would polish any dents out at no charge but given the weight I think the only way you could dent them was to drop them directly onto concrete.. I asked him about a matching chop cup and he said he was designing one that he hoped would be out in spring..

Dents will not polish out, period. Try to polish out a dent in a car fender.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The best PF cup I've ever handled. The weight is perfect, not too light, not too heavy. The steel is just a wonderful, magical metal, although I love brass and copper. It's like handling a classic PF Danny Dew cup but only a bit beefier. I love the brushed finish. Get one of these while you can!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2020, BSutter wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2019, thegreatscungilli wrote:

Dents will not polish out, period. Try to polish out a dent in a car fender.

These cups will not Dent, poor choice of words on my part. If you drop them and put a nick in them it can be polished right out. Sorry for the poor choice of word of Dent over Ding.

-MJJ
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Leo H wrote:
The best PF cup I've ever handled. The weight is perfect, not too light, not too heavy. The steel is just a wonderful, magical metal, although I love brass and copper. It's like handling a classic PF Danny Dew cup but only a bit beefier. I love the brushed finish. Get one of these while you can!

Thank you Leo. Most of the customers that received their cups insister I used 050 copper because the weight was heavier than a standard PF cup by Danny. I used the same gauge copper, 040 like Danny had them spun in. The extra weight comes
from the fact that I added 1" to the diameter of the disc used for spinning, which meant a thicker body, but like Danny I stuck to 040. The stainless steel was 048. The thinner stainless allowed the 2 beads in the center to crack and collapse, so I went up to 048 and had the discs annealed 2x before they were shipped to me
and still needed to keep a torch on them while spinning.

My spinning was ok, but I think I'll stick to CNC, it's easier on my rotator cuff :/

-MJJ
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of Leo H
You're welcome! Original PF/DD cups are beautiful to look at but the 40 gauge makes them too light and flimsy to use. The first thing I noticed about these stainless steel cups was their weight. It's perfect.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

When I talked to Jake about these cups I knew that he meant little nicks and dings and not "dents".. none the less these cups are GREAT if you can pony up the price. They will last forever.. and the balance and weight are really nice..I am hoping the Jake does produce a matching Chop Cup....
CopperChopCup
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
The have a set of these, and they are a work of art. They make beautiful singing sound when tapped and are a joy to handle. I had some issues with my shipment when they come, and Jake was more than attentive and went above and beyond handling g my issue for me. Top notch customer service!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Airship CNC Stainless Cups and Balls First Impression (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL