The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Alice in Wonderland Book Test by Luke Jonas (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
I just wanted to let you all know that my latest Book Test is now available from your favourite magic dealers.

Limited to only 250 units. Will not be remade.

From the creative mind of Luke Jonas, co-creator of the Jekyll and Hyde Test, comes a new, perfectly created book test with truly uncapped potential that will withstand the test of time for any performer. Created with the performer in mind. Welcome, to The Alice In Wonderland Book Test.

OVERVIEW

A freely chosen spectator is chosen to join the performer on stage and is handed the book Alice in Wonderland. The book can be freely examined from cover to cover, the performer remains 100% hands off throughout the entire performance. The spectator freely selects any page and the performer is able to reveal the first word. Another page is selected and the performer is able to name a freely selected word from another line on the selected page. A spectator can land on another page and another freely selected word can be chosen -- this time the performer is able to tell the audience the exact paragraph that contains this word. A separate spectator from the audience writes down 3 or 4 page numbers, unseen by the performer, and the spectator on stage turns to one of those pages without telling the performer (who can be blindfolded). Another word selected by the spectator is deduced and can be revealed as a drawing duplication.

Throughout the book, there are illustrations. Any of these can be freely selected by the spectator. The book is then closed and without seeing the chosen illustration, the performer is able to describe intricate details about the selected illustration through a miraculous drawing duplication and an astonishing color reveal!

This book test is 100% readable and examinable, meaning that any book-test methods you already use with un-gimmicked books can also be applied to The Alice In Wonderland Book Test, making this probably the most versatile book test on the market.

100% examinable.
A fully readable book.
A book that people will know and recognize.
No fishing, stooges, or sleights.
No dual reality.
Suitable for both stage and intimate performances.
No preshow.
Fully detailed instruction booklet.

Take your book test performance to a whole new level.

Welcome to 'The Alice In Wonderland Book Test'

here is what a few people have said about it.
"I'm a big fan of people that take time to perfect something. To work on every single angle to make sure what they want to show people is nothing short of flawless. If you got the Jekyll and Hyde then you will know what I'm talking about. Luke is someone I have nothing but time and respect for."
- Ben Cardall, mentalist and deductionist.

"This book test is brilliant. I've done in it a few shows now and it kills!!"
- Morgan Strebler

"After many years of research, development and refinement, Luke Jonas shared this diabolical tool in confidence with me ... and to call it a 'book test' would be a dis-service. He has cleverly taken the universal innocence of 'Alice in Wonderland' (the title in itself encourages imagination!) and inserted various hidden mentalism mechanics and presentation approaches, to create an accessible and powerful device. This is a special book that enables you to develop professional effects beyond a book test and be remembered."
- Steve Drury.

any questions feel free to ask.
Luke.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
There is review for it here: https://youtu.be/DFHeH7yEz3c

I will hopefully write my own review soon.
Thesaintinscarlet
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Thesaintinscarlet
I can highly recommend, this book test as my review states.
It is a highly versatile performance tool that looks very authentic. I personally really enjoyed the drawing duplication aspect of it the most. As it can be performed straight out of the box and allows for some very visual reveals and some fantastic moments of connectivity between you and your audience.
Not that you are just paying for a drawing duplication book test. For the price, You are getting four separate systems which let you run the book test as described. As well as Lukes tips on memorizing some of the more extensive parts of the system.

Well worth the price of entry, and is fully examinable unlike many of the book tests that have hit the market of late.
(Bonus points for being about one of my favourite topics)
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
"If you like book tests then you’ll LOVE this one. A lot of time and thought has gone in to making this practical and giving lots of different variations. You could do this by itself or certainly add it to a collection of books. It would make a great addition to any book test routine you might currently perform." -Paul Romhany, *Reviews Vanish Magazine
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Does the performer need to know the page number?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
Does the performer need to know the page number?

yes, however only for the first phase.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay thanks
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
If this book is titled 'Alice in Wonderland', then it marks the second occasion upon which a book test product has gotten the title of this classic work wrong. That would be a big deal-breaker for me, were I considering this.
It's all in the reflexes.
dogmonkey
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dogmonkey
I was about to post exactly that.

Also, it's such a popular book, I have to wonder how "readable" it is, how the language is similar to the real book. Carroll's writing style is so specific, anything sketchy would stand out a mile.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
The title of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is commonly shortened to Alice in wonderland in many printed versions of the book and also in the original Disney production of the animated film and the Tim Burton version of the film.
I feel that for most modern day audiences the title Alice in Wonderland is more suited and probably the better known of the two titles.
As for the writing style, I have tried my upmost to keep inline with the Specific style of Lewis Carrol AKA Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
I always aim to explore all avenues and keep true to original texts where ever possible, I hope this helps.

Many Thanks
Luke
dogmonkey
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dogmonkey
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, Luke Jonas wrote:
The title of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is commonly shortened to Alice in wonderland in many printed versions of the book and also in the original Disney production of the animated film and the Tim Burton version of the film.
I feel that for most modern day audiences the title Alice in Wonderland is more suited and probably the better known of the two titles.
As for the writing style, I have tried my upmost to keep inline with the Specific style of Lewis Carrol AKA Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
I always aim to explore all avenues and keep true to original texts where ever possible, I hope this helps.

Many Thanks
Luke

Great. Could you post an example paragraph or two so we can see the writing style?
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
If this book is titled 'Alice in Wonderland', then it marks the second occasion upon which a book test product has gotten the title of this classic work wrong. That would be a big deal-breaker for me, were I considering this.

And Lewis Carroll's, uh, extracurricular activities would not be? Yeah, I went there. I don't think any magician (of any age) would want to be associated with accuracy vis a vis this book - if renaming the book helps save Alice from the "ick" factor, I'm all for it.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quote:
Great. Could you post an example paragraph or two so we can see the writing style?

CHAPTER VIII.
The Queen's
Croquet-Ground

A large rose-tree stood near the entrance of the garden: the roses growing on it were white, but there were three gardeners at it, busily painting them red. Alice thought this a very curious thing, and she went nearer to watch them, and just as she came up to them she heard one of them say, 'Look out now, Five! Don't go splashing paint over me like that!'
'I couldn't help it,' said Five, in a sulky tone; 'Seven jogged my elbow.'
On which Seven looked up and said, 'That's right, Five! Always lay the blame on others!'
'YOU'D better not talk!' said Five. 'I heard the Queen say only yesterday you deserved to be beheaded!'
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
To my knowledge, the title ‘Alice in Wonderland’ has only ever been used for animated and film versions. I am not aware of any printed versions of the book that do not go by the author’s given title. This would most definitely stand out to me were I handed a copy of the book and expected to accept its authenticity.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
To my knowledge, the title ‘Alice in Wonderland’ has only ever been used for animated and film versions. I am not aware of any printed versions of the book that do not go by the author’s given title. This would most definitely stand out to me were I handed a copy of the book and expected to accept its authenticity.

To my knowledge... there are a few.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alice-Wonderlan......6&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alice-Wonderlan......&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disneys-Wonderl......&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alice-Wonderland-Illustrated-Lewis-Carroll/dp/069253797X/ref=sr_1_16?hvadid=80058222335838&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=alice+in+wonderland+book&qid=1580198248&sr=8-16.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.
dogmonkey
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dogmonkey
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, Luke Jonas wrote:

CHAPTER VIII.
The Queen's
Croquet-Ground

Quote:
A large rose-tree stood near the entrance of the garden: the roses growing on it were white, but there were three gardeners at it, busily painting them red. Alice thought this a very curious thing, and she went nearer to watch them, and just as she came up to them she heard one of them say, 'Look out now, Five! Don't go splashing paint over me like that!'
'I couldn't help it,' said Five, in a sulky tone; 'Seven jogged my elbow.'
On which Seven looked up and said, 'That's right, Five! Always lay the blame on others!'
'YOU'D better not talk!' said Five. 'I heard the Queen say only yesterday you deserved to be beheaded!'

Impressive! Thank you.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Disney children’s version excepted, I hadn’t seen those other two. Thanks for sharing.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Disney children’s version excepted, I hadn’t seen those other two. Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem, hopefully this goes a little way to explaining my reasoning.
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
The latest review is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuoFJaKFHMM
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
159 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Full review available in the latest edition of Vanish magazine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Alice in Wonderland Book Test by Luke Jonas (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL