The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Not Another Derren Thread!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
What do you guys tell Muggles when they ask you about Derren Brown?

As most of us here know that Derren accomplishes his feats with more conventional methods then initially is apparent, I'm at a loss as to what to say to Laymen.

A couple of them really think he's a jedi master (which of course he really is...) =P
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I'm just wondering what I should tell Fraggles when they ask me about Derren.

Nathan Pain

It must be nice for me to be from the USA, because none of the Fraggles here know about Derren!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When Kreskin had his weekly show, he was the subject of as much speculation as Derren is in the UK. How did the considerate magician and/or mentalist handle the question? The same way that we handle the question when someone asks us how we do it, ourselves.

I would say, "He is quite amazing. I have no idea how he does it. Maybe he really can read minds. If he can't he certainly makes it look like he can."

Here's something to think about. Nobody but Derren REALLY knows how he does everything. That's a fact. We may have some ideas, but we don't actually know. Does it hurt us in any way to have a fellow like that in the spotlight? No. Does it help us? You bet your bippy. Every successful magician, mentalist or other similar performer creates interest in the layman for that art form. We can ride the crest of the wave of his success.

So, do the same thing that you do when anyone is successful. Tell the layman that you don't know how he did it. After all, he is really good. If they ask, "Can you do that kind of thing?" Then tell them that you have one or two things that you do that are similar. And do the best effect you have.

The layman really doesn't know OOTW from what they see Derren do on the telly. If you can do one or two really good items for the layman, on the spot, then they will like it.

OTOH, if you knock a fellow who is obviously good at what he does -- good enough, in fact, that he has a television show from time to time -- then you will have a negative effect on the layman's perception of you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of David Numen
A beginner's book on magic I read many years ago had this advice on a similar topic: - What to do when a layperson asks about a trick he's seen another magician do.

Basically the answer is along the lines of smiling, saying you haven't seen them but it sounds very impressive.

Why would you feel the need to do anything otherwise?

Regards,

David.
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Great post Bill.

It really made me reconsider. Too often in the past, I've let my ego get in the way and say something along the lines of, 'well I can't really say...'; which even though isn't that bad, isn't that great either.

I'm going to make it a point to follow your lead.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I agree.
I've been thinking about this recently, too. To say something like, "Hmmm, there are a number of ways his effects could be achieved..." removes the wonder to some extent and is therefore detrimental to both you, as a performer, and whoever is being discussed (Derren, in this case).

"He is quite amazing. I have no idea how he does it. Maybe he really can read minds. If he can't he certainly makes it look like he can."
What a great way to put it, Bill. I hope more read your post and follow your lead.
Well done.
Hello.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Right, this is the last thred on Derren I'm going to look at, there are just too many!!!

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
ScottJ
View Profile
Regular user
Hertfordshire, England.
143 Posts

Profile of ScottJ
Resurrecting them is alright, then? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Not Another Derren Thread!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL