The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins on the street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I rarely do coin work on the street due to the way my hands sweat in the southern weather. Is there any routine in particular that you use while outside?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
You can do a one coin routine, that way you don't have to deal with palming certain amounts at a time. I can see it would be a problem if you have sweaty hands. Do a one coin flurry with a jumbo coin production.
You can even keep loading a coin onto a person's shoulder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I actually like my hands to be a little moist while working with coins. For me, it makes palming easier. I do a Roth coins across and end with a jumbo coin transformation.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use the Chanin routine on the street, producing coins from a silk. Cervon may have published a great routine called, I believe, Hanky Panky. Hard to beat.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
How close is this routine(Hanky Panky) to Roth's Coins & Silk Routine from Ultimate Coin Magic Collection Vol. 3?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Ammar's coins through silk is something that would play well for crowds. It is pretty and visually astounding.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Try using jumbo coins and perform a version of Cellini’s “Devil Handkerchief” routine. Or use either of the versions that Pete mentions. They both work with jumbos (I am not familiar with Roth’s version and cannot compare it to “Hanky Panky”).

Misers dream has been used on the street as an opener and crowd stopper/gatherer it has lots of action, potential for comedic by-play, and noise.

Check out Fred Kaps coin manipulation routine. It is very fast paced, very visual, and would play well on the street with only a couple of modifications.

There are a couple of nice CD manipulation (production/vanish) routines available that are enough like coin routines that would play well also. They are big and visible!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Yes I have to agree w/ Harry that the MD is indeed a great routine. Not unlike the Linking Rings it is noisy, which is exactly what you want to draw in the crowd.... I saw one performer called "Mikel" from Paris do a version of it a few years ago that was simply... devastating!!!

Now many performers seem to think that thier audiences think that if he (the performer) can just reach into the air and get $ then why do I have to give...Hmmm. Now this is something worth thinking about. I would have to say that a short routine, maybe at the start of your act, as a way of "hooking em," may have potential.

Get out there and give it a try

Coins don't like to be dropped.

Michael Lee
danedover
View Profile
New user
Central Arkansas
22 Posts

Profile of danedover
Assuming that you have a table of some sort and a fairly small crowd have you tried a matrix routine of some sort? Some of these don't require palming.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-02 06:54, danedover wrote:
Assuming that you have a table of some sort and a fairly small crowd have you tried a matrix routine of some sort? Some of these don't require palming.

Yes, personally, I like matrix routines... probably one of my favorite effects to see. I have another thread in regards to Shadow Coins on the street, but have decided that may not be the route to go on the street.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 06:52, Brian Proctor wrote:
Ammar's coins through silk is something that would play well for crowds. It is pretty and visually astounding.

I agree.

Matrix seems very scary due to wind concerns
if you're covering coins with cards.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
The thieves and sheep coin effect is easy to do if you have sweaty hands.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The problem I have with Matrix, Shadow Coins, and Thieves and Sheep is that they are tabletop tricks and not big ones at that.

I think they might work for a small doorway act with just a few people around your table but I don’t think they would work well for a big circle crowd. Honestly, they are not that visual and don’t play that big.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
One of the great buskers of the early days in England did some kind of coin routine using the Gypsy Switch. He was also a great Punch and Judy worker. Anyone recall his name and what the coin routine was?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Charlie Edwards?

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No it was Percy Press... also a great Punch worker... he did a Royal Command performance and after the Queen asked him how he did the funny high-pitched voice. Press brought out a punch whistle and described how it worked. The Queen, being more than curious, asked if she could try. He handed her the whistle, she put it in her mouth and couldn't do it (I can't either).

When she gave it back she said, "It's a small thing, have you ever swallowed one?"

He said, "That one's been through me twice your Majesty."

:kermit: Smile Smile

Charlie Edwards' FLICK BOOK was the main pitch of Ken Brooke.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 20:15, JamesinLA wrote:
I actually like my hands to be a little moist while working with coins. For me, it makes palming easier. I do a Roth coins across and end with a jumbo coin transformation.

Jim

I agree! My sleights work better when my hands are a bit moist.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, RJ.

I would love to do Cellini's jumbo/silk routine. Does anyone know where I can get info on it? Thanks.

JIm
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Jim, It is in the royal touch under the name Devil's Handkerchief.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Dan. I love that book.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins on the street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL