The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Confidence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fifia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of fifia
I've mainly performed person to person and only like twice on stage. Every time I perform my hands start to shake and I lose lots of my "cocky magician vibe" that I like to portray. Not to mention the shaking really isn't good for sleight of hand.

I've also noticed I end up focusing more on my cards/props than I do on the audience and I think that draws people's eyes to what I'm trying to hide more often than not.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6723 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Welcome to the Café, Fifia! I have learned never to show a trick unless I know it backwards and forwards. I don't do cards, but something quick and simple. I've been doing Magic for more than 40 years, and I still have confidence issues...

Doug
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
396 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Well said, Dougini.

Some people are naturally confident, like James Bond. The rest of us mortals need to step up and just fake it until it becomes reality.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2429 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Well, in my experience very few people are truly without any form of stage fright when the performance starts. The experienced people have just learned to transform their nerves into excitement for the performance. So don't feel like you're less for those nerves - most people have them. The more you perform the easier it gets to handle them.

Couple pieces of advice -

1) As Dougini mentioned- rehearse. A lot. The material should happen without conscious thought. Practice the physical sleights, and rehearse the full routines/show. I was once told that if I'm not bored of the material then I probably haven't rehearsed enough.

2) Start with something fool proof. "Self working" tricks are great for this. Things that don't require a ton of fine motor control - that way if your hands are shaking you can still do it. Personally I usually open with a poem. I've also opened with human blockhead. On rare occasions I open with a dumb joke (ren fair audiences). This gets people's attention, commands the stage, and lets you relax into the performance.

And remember - it gets easier. The more you perform the easier it is to control the nerves. That's part of why rehearsal helps a lot, the mind sees that as a sort of performance.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Confidence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL