The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sliding coin box (old version) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xseven
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of xseven
Greetings from Portugal.
I hope this is the exact place to put my question ...
Does anyone know or remember seeing something like: "Sliding Coin Box"?
The version I'm looking for has 4 doors, open downwards (not laterally as the versions you find on youtube) the box has a Chinese decoration and the coin (s) is made of balsa wood.
I had this version 30 years ago and would like to review it ...
Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you are referring to the old Grandma's Nitemare coin Box, that is a version of the Sucker effect, the sliding Die Box, they come and go on the market. I have not seen one advertised in a while. They were offered some time back. I never seen one with the doors opening down. Most used a Silver Dollar and opening to the side.

I believe they were called Grandma's Nitemare Coin Box. I am going by memory, so that may not be exactly correct. None I have seen had any Chinese decoration, nor were they made of balsa wood, as that is a soft wood and not hold the hinges well. Most were made of hard natural wood.

Sounds like you might be mixing up two different tricks. The coin slide had Chinese decoration on the case. That is the trick were you put a nickel in the recessed slide, shut by pushing in the slide, and it vanishes when opened or changes to a dime or penny. They are all made of plastic now. They originally were made of light colored wood. No doors involved, but you could call it a drawer.

I found this latest offering of the coin die box here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23063

Here is the current coin slide: https://www.amazon.com/Coin-Slide-Magic-......0WVFF9TE

I think you are talking more like 50 or 60 years ago, not 30. That Gradma's coin box was from the 1940's or earlier, maybe even the 1920's. The sliding coin was around that same time period.
xseven
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of xseven
Thanks for your help.
I'm preaty shure that the doors opened down (i had one!)
Maybe it wasn't a balsa wood, but it had a chinese decoration. The coin was very big. Almost a hand size.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, if you sure, I just cannot help you any further, as you did not respond to any part of my post. Good luck in your search.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Sliding coin box (old version) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL