The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » An Improved Typewriter Typeface (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

balzar
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of balzar
Given that the creation of aged documents seems integral to many Bizarre effects, I thought this might be of some niche interest. For those who find the majority of available typewriter fonts to be a bit too ersatz to be convincing, this new offering might be worth checking out:
TT2020: an old-timey typewriter typeface that doesn't look fake
https://boingboing.net/2020/01/03/tt2020......ite.html
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
745 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Cool! I also love the HPLHS prop documents and fonts:

https://www.hplhs.org/resources.php#fonts
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
745 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
I have used services similar to this in the past and they have been very authentic in look and feel - especially feel:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/718275617/c......_click=1
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4313 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you want to be truly authentic, you do what I do and use your old mechanical typewriter and appropriate paper (typically onionskin, so you could "erase" your mistakes), and actually type out your message.

I do the same thing for handwritten documents. There's nothing that annoys me more when I see a handwriting font being used and I can instantly spot letters being made identically throughout.

I also have a problem when supposedly hand-drawn illustrations are being used, and you can see the bitmap artifacts. Nothing ruins the verisimilitude faster.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2876 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I agree with Philemon, but what gets me even more is seeing a "typed" document that was obviously printed on a printer. Real typed docs have a bit of a surface texture created when the keys hit the paper. And unless it's an electric typewriter, not all keys hit the paper the same way due to different fingers being used.

Nitpicky? I wouldn't expect to find a criminologist in the audience, but people are used to seeing stuff run off on printers, and giving them something that looks a little different might help sell the effect.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » An Improved Typewriter Typeface (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL