The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Visual Box by Smagic Productions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2248 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looks pretty good.

https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=66333

Description:

This is the 'magic effect inside the box' that you've been waiting for! No hiding, no sneaking, everything clearly in front of your audience.

Present your audience with a box having a transparent lid - show that the box contains nothing. Then, with a single shake, anything you'd like appears inside the box. Very visual. You can use chewing gum, cards, coins, money, change an object's color, and much more ... Perform without worrying about the audience's perspective -- everything is 360 degrees angle-proof.

The box is made of plastic, very nice and durable. You can use it for many other purposes.

Check it out now.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Looks cool. But more advertising BS I guess. They say "Perform without worrying about the audience's perspective -- everything is 360 degrees angle-proof"... but Vanishing Inc say it's more like 180 unless you perform at waist height.

If performing at waist height is not a perspective restriction, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the gimmick, whatever it is, really is totally invisible? I mean, could you perform this in bright daylight without anything untoward being seen?

I'm thinking of using it as a business card production. So lighting consideration is important.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2305 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yes magic_tony, very good questions, I am also wondering if it requires advance setup or could you do a card to box in real-time?
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Looks good, what about noise?
sebola
View Profile
New user
Germany
36 Posts

Profile of sebola
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2020, magic_tony wrote:
Looks cool. But more advertising BS I guess. They say "Perform without worrying about the audience's perspective -- everything is 360 degrees angle-proof"... but Vanishing Inc say it's more like 180 unless you perform at waist height.

If performing at waist height is not a perspective restriction, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the gimmick, whatever it is, really is totally invisible? I mean, could you perform this in bright daylight without anything untoward being seen?

I'm thinking of using it as a business card production. So lighting consideration is important.

Hehe, a bit funny you are reposting the description fom Vanishing Inc...cause they also say "Surprisingly, no black art is involved, either, so this can be done under harsh or stage lighting conditions." and answer one of your main questions also Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2181 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Looks nice. Hilarious music BTW.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
623 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
This was a disappointing purchase. Some things you should know:

1. Whatever you produce in the box must be very thin and taped to the box. It cannot then be easily removed.
2. The material to which the item must be taped does not take tape well, causing mostly failures in my attempts and spectacular ones at that with items flying across the room. Kinda cool but not what I was going for.
3. The "tutorial" is two minutes long, has no words, and tells you almost nothing. There are no routines. No information on how to repair the box if it breaks. No information on how to replace the material in the box or use alternate materials. Very sparse and not nearly enough information for what you are paying.
4. This thing is NOISY. I think the noise betrays the method and is not easily concealed. Maybe if you performed in a crowded train station at rush hour.
5. Due to the method, you cannot really switch things out. This is intended for producing something from an empty box. But then, also due to the method, that thing cannot really be removed from the box. Nor can the box be examined. The spectator will just have to be happy looking at the item in the box before you quietly put it away.
6. It would also be very difficult, though not necessarily impossible, to load something for production such as a signed card. It is theoretically possible, though I don't know how you would do it reliably and of course the video tutorial provides nothing useful in this regard.
7. Mine arrived completely non-functional. I had to "repair" it before it would work -- again with no guidance. If yours arrives the same way, good luck.
8. Overall, this might be okay for Instagram but I see very little if any practical value in performing for real people. It was not anywhere near worth the $50 price tag to me.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
623 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
One more thing. The ad copy says no black art is used. That is both accurate and inaccurate. It's true that black art is not used to conceal the item being produced as in most applications. But it is used to hide the mechanics of what is going on so nothing flashes, and in this sense I think it's mostly effective. This can be performed with or without the clear lid, but I do believe the glare of the lid may provide a bit of helpful cover. Generally, I don't think anyone will see what's going on if looking at it from the right angle. So in that sense, it gets a star.
Jack Lu
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Jack Lu
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, lumberjohn wrote:
This was a disappointing purchase. Some things you should know:

1. Whatever you produce in the box must be very thin and taped to the box. It cannot then be easily removed.
2. The material to which the item must be taped does not take tape well, causing mostly failures in my attempts and spectacular ones at that with items flying across the room. Kinda cool but not what I was going for.
3. The "tutorial" is two minutes long, has no words, and tells you almost nothing. There are no routines. No information on how to repair the box if it breaks. No information on how to replace the material in the box or use alternate materials. Very sparse and not nearly enough information for what you are paying.
4. This thing is NOISY. I think the noise betrays the method and is not easily concealed. Maybe if you performed in a crowded train station at rush hour.
5. Due to the method, you cannot really switch things out. This is intended for producing something from an empty box. But then, also due to the method, that thing cannot really be removed from the box. Nor can the box be examined. The spectator will just have to be happy looking at the item in the box before you quietly put it away.
6. It would also be very difficult, though not necessarily impossible, to load something for production such as a signed card. It is theoretically possible, though I don't know how you would do it reliably and of course the video tutorial provides nothing useful in this regard.
7. Mine arrived completely non-functional. I had to "repair" it before it would work -- again with no guidance. If yours arrives the same way, good luck.
8. Overall, this might be okay for Instagram but I see very little if any practical value in performing for real people. It was not anywhere near worth the $50 price tag to me.

Sounds terrible. But the trailer shows removing gums, card and candy from the box. Isn't it true?
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
It reminds me a bit of the "card appearing in a picture frame effect". Useable in certain circumstances, however I think there are more versatile ways to achieve similar results.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
One more thing. The ad copy says no black art is used. That is both accurate and inaccurate. It's true that black art is not used to conceal the item being produced as in most applications. But it is used to hide the mechanics of what is going on so nothing flashes, and in this sense I think it's mostly effective. This can be performed with or without the clear lid, but I do believe the glare of the lid may provide a bit of helpful cover. Generally, I don't think anyone will see what's going on if looking at it from the right angle. So in that sense, it gets a star.

Wow January (first half) and I think we are to a winner for flop of the year! WOW - amazed but not in a good way!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2181 Posts

Quote:

I’m sorry to hear this is such a piece of cr@p. I would like to thank you for informing us and give a big compliment for your very thorough, clear and eloquent review. You should do more reviews! You’re really good at it!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2248 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Totally agreed! A BIG thank you for letting us know.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1241 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Great honest review thank you
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Think I will dig out my old Adams plastic vanishing/appearing box!! Much more veratility!! And 360 degree, no bad angle!! LOL
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
623 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
[/QUOTE] Sounds terrible. But the trailer shows removing gums, card and candy from the box. Isn't it true? [quote]

Not impossible, just not practical. I suppose it’s possible you could hit that sweet spot where the tape item is taped securely enough to keep it in place but not so much that it’s apparent you are picking up something taped down. Maybe you can get that stickiness just right. Maybe they will supplement the tutorial with an extra 30 seconds or so (I wouldn’t want to strain their production budget) to explain that process.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4404 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great review. How sad that Sans keeps pumping out dud after dud and misleading trailer after misleading trailer. The employees clearly get paid on quantity vs quality.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
This isn't SansMinds fyi

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
Great review. How sad that Sans keeps pumping out dud after dud and misleading trailer after misleading trailer. The employees clearly get paid on quantity vs quality.
Jack Lu
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Jack Lu
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds terrible. But the trailer shows removing gums, card and candy from the box. Isn't it true?

Not impossible, just not practical. I suppose it’s possible you could hit that sweet spot where the tape item is taped securely enough to keep it in place but not so much that it’s apparent you are picking up something taped down. Maybe you can get that stickiness just right. Maybe they will supplement the tutorial with an extra 30 seconds or so (I wouldn’t want to strain their production budget) to explain that process.

Such a misleading trailer then. Thanks for your review.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2181 Posts

It isn’t SansMinds. But... I can see where confusion arises: an overproduced, pompous trailer tries to make some boy with zero aura look like a star and a product that greatly underdelivers. That’s classic SansMinds in my experience. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Visual Box by Smagic Productions (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL