The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Visual Box by Smagic Productions (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, lumberjohn wrote:
This was a disappointing purchase. Some things you should know:

1. Whatever you produce in the box must be very thin and taped to the box. It cannot then be easily removed.
2. The material to which the item must be taped does not take tape well, causing mostly failures in my attempts and spectacular ones at that with items flying across the room. Kinda cool but not what I was going for.
3. The "tutorial" is two minutes long, has no words, and tells you almost nothing. There are no routines. No information on how to repair the box if it breaks. No information on how to replace the material in the box or use alternate materials. Very sparse and not nearly enough information for what you are paying.
4. This thing is NOISY. I think the noise betrays the method and is not easily concealed. Maybe if you performed in a crowded train station at rush hour.
5. Due to the method, you cannot really switch things out. This is intended for producing something from an empty box. But then, also due to the method, that thing cannot really be removed from the box. Nor can the box be examined. The spectator will just have to be happy looking at the item in the box before you quietly put it away.
6. It would also be very difficult, though not necessarily impossible, to load something for production such as a signed card. It is theoretically possible, though I don't know how you would do it reliably and of course the video tutorial provides nothing useful in this regard.
7. Mine arrived completely non-functional. I had to "repair" it before it would work -- again with no guidance. If yours arrives the same way, good luck.
8. Overall, this might be okay for Instagram but I see very little if any practical value in performing for real people. It was not anywhere near worth the $50 price tag to me.

Thanks, lumberjohn, this was very helpful...I always thought the price was kind of high anyway. And seems to be very true given the poor quality.
peterdilger
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of peterdilger
Happy new year to all

One of the great advantages of the café forum I was seriously looking to buy this but always check reviews here first - looks like I have saved £45 thanks for the review
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Thanks Lumberjohn saved me some money, sorry for your hit
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10261 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Why am I not surprised? Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2225 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Well, let’s be honest. You couldn’t afford this anyway after buying 2 copies of Thaddeus’ book.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2025 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Is the object taped to the bottom and flipped round?
Hopefully not but from what i’ve read it sounds like it.
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
123 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Unfortunately, I ordered before Lumberjohn's review. Mine too arrived completely non-functional. Rather than trying to repair it, I am returning it. The box itself is very poorly made. It looks like something you would not pay more than $5 for at a joke shop. I thought it would be a sturdy, hard plastic box, but it is made of very flimsy material. I cannot believe this made it to market, much less at a $50 price tag. I agree with all of Lumberjohn's comments except "kind of cool." There was nothing about this item that I found appealing.

While I am glad I purchased it through Vanishing as they are accepting the return, I am disappointed that they even sell it. They pushed it hard in their e-mails and new items section. Vanishing was founded on the idea that Andi and Joshua would curate their collection and not sell junk like this. While I will continue to purchase from them as they do have good items, I will be much more cautious next time and await a Café review.
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, dunraven wrote:
While I am glad I purchased it through Vanishing as they are accepting the return, I am disappointed that they even sell it. They pushed it hard in their e-mails and new items section. Vanishing was founded on the idea that Andi and Joshua would curate their collection and not sell junk like this. While I will continue to purchase from them as they do have good items, I will be much more cautious next time and await a Café review.

I too find it disappointing that many crap products are being brought to market, especially by companies that claim the won't sell garbage. That philosophy must seem like a good idea when they start out, and they shout it from the rooftops...but then they become more and more of a big-box retailer in their mentality, and want a cut of every product—including the crap. Really unfortunate.

Another recent example is CLICK, which turned out to be a total disaster, is on open box all the time with Penguin, and has terrible reviews. Yet, Vanishing still carries it. How in the world did a product like that, or this Visual Box make it through Andi and Joshua's "curation"?
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2251 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
It's sad that trailers don't really tell the truth these days.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
I doubt Josh and Andi have much to do with day to day operations of VI any more.
Josh is constantly all over the world or presenting a new show.
I think they may have actually curated for the first year or so but I’ve also heard that Murphy’s has methods to persuade (require) vendors to carry the items they want them to, so it may be difficult to really curate the products you carry.
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey everyone,

I posted a review of Visual Box on my YouTube channel.. it includes a performance as well!

You can watch it below:

https://youtu.be/65zRiDF55Oo

Hope this is helpful Smile
Tyler
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
If you know the "card into frame"-version with the quick black art release: it's the pocket version of it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Visual Box by Smagic Productions (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL