The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne - Half Gone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Hello guys and girls.
I recently have purchased Andrew Mayne's Bisection. It is something that I liked very much, but, on his introduction, he talks about an illusion called Half Gone. What I would like to know is if Half Gone looks the same thing as Bisection, or looks better or worse, and also would like to know how the illusion looks to the audience.

Thanks
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Half Gone appears in his Illusion book. It does not look the same as Bi-Section. Half Gone was similiar in appearance to the Disembodied Princess but the vanishing of the body looks different.

Bisection is more visual, less expensive, and easier to perform.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Bisection is just a much better version of half-gone.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I'd like to know how you like bisection. I am thinking of getting that as well as the facelifter. Now being a chubby magician is bisection going to work for me? From the looks of things that, along with a few other things I've seen will work into my act. I'd like any info on Andrew Mayne's effects. He seems to be very creative. Just have to keep my toys away from the striped one. He tends to play with my toys until there's nothing left Smile
Thanks for your answers in advance.
Joe Comet
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Anything by Mayne is good. Go for it. To do the Bisection, you have to be a bit flexible physically but nothing you cant do. E mail him with your queries and he will reply. He is a nice guy. His Spectre cabinet is Brilliant too.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Downplay the physical practice required by Bisection at your peril, I compare it a lot to the Balducci or King's Rising levitations in terms of the importance of getting it right (ever cringed as you watched someone mess those up without realising?). The difference is the angle's not as important for Bisection (though you still have to consider it of course) and crucially you really can't practice it with a mirror, the only way to really get it down is to practice in front a suitably critical friend.

I bought it for my partner to do and we spent a lot of time on movement training; a bit of body balance and movement training would not go amiss at all. I won't say too much more here, but PM me if you want to know how we've worked on this.
mrmagic9414
View Profile
New user
Sweet Home Alabama
1 Post

Profile of mrmagic9414
This is a killer effect that gets a killer reaction! Mayne is a great thinker and I have almost all of his effects and I use them regularly in my show. This is on of my favorites, and you will definately get a great reaction. Buy it, you'll like it!
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
Andrew Mayne... MY suggestion is this w/ Mayne: Look at the effect and think hard for about an hour on how he could do it. If you can't figure it out, then buy it. If you can, then its up to you if you want ot buy it or not. I didn't buy Bisection or Pocket Sawing in Half cuz I figured them out but I did buy the illusion book (although that didn't much help me). Mayne is very creative and I like his effects. But often they seem 'see-through' to me. But he did inspire me to do a bisection style thing but with the bottom half of your body (ie. vanishing your legs)... looks okay.. still got 2 tweak it.

But yes, Bisection is clever and get's a great reaction. You do have to put a little time of practice in it though!

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Even if you know how things work, I think it is important to give credit where credit is due, and support the originator of the idea by buying his plans. True a lot of his ideas are "see through" but that doesn't stop me from buying them. They are reasonably priced, and in effect give me the right to perform them. Also remember that you are not only buying the secret but also the time and energy that the creator (Andrew Mayne in this case) put into creating such an effect. Sorry to get off topic slightly.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I love Mayne's stuff. All his stuff is absurdly easy, but I wouldn't say it is all see-thru. A few times I have thought I knew how some things would work, and was suprised at how simple they were. Even if they may seem see-thru to you, you are not a layman. I have fooled some people with extreamly simple things.
I was fooled by bisection for the longest time, before my step-mom figured it out. I know how it works, but I am a little hazy on the construction. I just ordered it, and it should be here tomarrow or thursday, along with pocket sawing, body morphing, and Ravina's Division. Can't wait.
Brian
The great Sandwich!
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Who really cares if it is see through. We are magicians, we shouldnt feel special or extra smart because you can see how something may work. If you have studied magic you should be able to see through a lot of things in magic, but that's not the point.

The point is all about supporting someones idea, concept and using it to entertain the public.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I would disagree that Andrew Mayne's stuff is "absurdly easy". The bisection especially, as I've pointed out, is by no means self-working and the practice needed to get it right should not be taken lightly (like with any good illusion, in fact).
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I'm not saying that the proformance of his effects are necissarily easy, but the concept, and secret are usually simple. I am not getting bisection untill tomarrow, so I will know then if it is easy or not. I tried doing bisection with no gimick, and my brother still said it looked weird. I can see that the rythm would take some practice to get down and stuff. But take a look at Andrew's Mayhem book. Everything in there is as simplified as possible. The same is true about Shock FX, and Touching Sky. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Andrew's stuff, and think he is incredibly creative.
The great Sandwich!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne - Half Gone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL