The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » My 2020 "Self Working, Sleight Free, No Set up, FASDIU" Trick List (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
88 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Years ago, I accepted the fact that I would never have the time to perfect card sleights and practice them regularly to my satisfaction. Also, I discovered that I could set up a deck for an initial trick that required a set up, but then after that I needed to be able to do stuff that could be From A Shuffled Deck In Use... or FASDIU. So my focus has been on finding the best self working tricks that are sleight free and can be done with a shuffled deck. What I like most about these tricks is that they make it so much easier to focus on presentation which is often that one thing that can mean the difference between a good trick and a great trick.

That being said, here is my list so far of card effects I like and use. I will update this list as I discover new effects and I am open to suggestions to add to the list.

"Applesauce" - in "AppleSauce" by Patrick Redford

"Degrees of Freedom" - in "Dear Mr Fantasy” by John Bannon

"Pedal to the Metal" - in "Destination Zero" by John Bannon

"4, 5, 6" - On the DVD “Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks” by Big Blind Media

"Impromptu Out of this World" – in Harry Lorayne's "My Favorite Card Tricks"

"Gemini Twins" in Karl Fulve's "More Self Working Card Tricks"

"Braude's Mental Card Trick" in John Scarne's "Scarne on Card Tricks"

"Automatic Ace Triumph" - on DVD "Awesome Self Working Card Tricks"

"We Meet Again, Doctor Jones" - in "We Meet Again, Doctor Jones" by Atlas Brookings

"View to a 'Skill" - in "View to a 'Skill" by John Bannon
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2036 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I would like to add DESTINY, found in PRISM by Max Maven
Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
88 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Wravyn wrote:
I would like to add DESTINY, found in PRISM by Max Maven

For some reason I had completely forgotten about this one. Just went back and read it and it an extremely clever effect. I'm going to have to try this one again soon. Thanks for reminding me of this one!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2036 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Brad Ballew wrote:

For some reason I had completely forgotten about this one. Just went back and read it and it an extremely clever effect. I'm going to have to try this one again soon. Thanks for reminding me of this one!

What I enjoy about it... on more than one occasion, I have nailed the thought of card.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1088 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Prophet Motive III by John Bannon

Mark
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6605 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2020, mlippo wrote:

Mark

Why do you prefer III over the others?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1088 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2020, mlippo wrote:

Mark

Why do you prefer III over the others?

Well short answer is that I find it the most elegant of the three versions I'm aware of.

When I read Prophet Motive in Destination Zero, I kinda liked it, took note of it as a "maybe" in the future, but later set aside because there were better items (in my opinion) in the book. What I didn't and still don't like is the Bluff Oracle procedure (who owns the book will know what I'm talking about).

When I read Prophet Motive Redux from Mentalissimo, the Bluff Oracle procedure was given as an optional handling. But I much more preferred the second alternative (who owns the book will know what I'm talking about).

Then came Prophet Motive III (not aware of a II version - does it exist?) which I found in Genii July 2018. This version removed the Bluff Oracle part, retained the second option I was referring to, added the possiblity of the spectator shuffling the pack after the removal of the "prediction" and added the "burning" of the cards of the packet left after the procedure required by the trick.

All three versions are self-working and inevitably procedural. The III one is the most elegant, streamlined of them. IMHO

Mark
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
638 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Two of the greatest from last century: You Do As I Do and Out of This World.

(Admittedly, OOTW isn't strictly FASDIU, but if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can probably pull off the arrangement while chatting with and listening to the spectators.)

I am also pretty fond of Dream Card by Daryl.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Another nice one you could add is "Eight of Diamonds" by Paul Gordon
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6605 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, mtstic44 wrote:
Another nice one you could add is "Eight of Diamonds" by Paul Gordon

That is a great item. Harry's version is called Gr(eight), and it is.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Jim Steinmeyer's 9 card problem
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
69 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
Hey man I love the list, this is an area of particular interest to me as well.
I'd add Vernon's Emotional reaction and Ben Earl's Red Herring to the list Smile
(And even Earl's The Answer)
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Great list and I love self-working material.

Let me toot my own horn for a moment ...

"As Above So Below" couldn't be easier and it's effective and fun to perform, at least for me. It's featured in "Connectivity". On that same manuscript there's the "Ancient Gypsy Experiment", using just 4 pairs of cards and also self-working.

On another manuscript I have a remote viewing experiment that is completely self-working and can be done over the phone. It was in my book from ages ago The Black School (it was named "Eight" on there) and now it's called "Dr. Wendy Woo's Remote Viewing Experiment V2". This routine is in the "Dr. Wendy Woo's Black Swan".

I thought I'd add these here because I've been doing them for years and still enjoy them.

Link on my signature. Any questions let me know.
stevie c
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, JoeHohman wrote:
Two of the greatest from last century: You Do As I Do and Out of This World.

(Admittedly, OOTW isn't strictly FASDIU, but if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can probably pull off the arrangement.

UF Grant's NWOOTW is completely impromptu, and there are also a couple of refinements to the original manuscript which make it even stronger.

Loving this thread!!

Cheers

Steve
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
69 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
Another suggestion is Joshua Jay's Impossible 3, very nice trick (download from Vanishing Inc).
My Gf rumbled me on View to a 'skill though Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3202 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Great list and I love self-working material.

Let me toot my own horn for a moment ...

"As Above So Below" couldn't be easier and it's effective and fun to perform, at least for me. It's featured in "Connectivity". On that same manuscript there's the "Ancient Gypsy Experiment", using just 4 pairs of cards and also self-working.

On another manuscript I have a remote viewing experiment that is completely self-working and can be done over the phone. It was in my book from ages ago The Black School (it was named "Eight" on there) and now it's called "Dr. Wendy Woo's Remote Viewing Experiment V2". This routine is in the "Dr. Wendy Woo's Black Swan".

I thought I'd add these here because I've been doing them for years and still enjoy them.

Link on my signature. Any questions let me know.

I purchased these mentioned e-books and I can attest that they are really good reads and the effects are excellent!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8709 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just a decent-at-best coin guy here, but like the idea given by the OP as to such tricks...And with that, I offer up here, "Untouched" by Daryl. It is very clever and is big on presentation.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Thanks for the nod, Rowdy! My other stuff is almost self working, too, maybe a charlier here or false cut there ... but thank you, glad you enjoyed them.

MB! Love your coin stuff!

So for this thread, let me add ...

1) Sal Piacente's "The Encore Card Trick"
2) Sudo Nihm's "A Simple Truth"
peirceman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of peirceman
What, no 21 card trick?!?!?!?! I'm shocked.

I don't know the actual name of the trick, but it is by Martin Gardner. It involves three piles of three cards and spelling out the chosen card. Performed it hundreds of times, even over the phone.

I also get a lot of mileage out of the piano card trick from Royal Road.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
252 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Untouched by Daryl is my favorite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » My 2020 "Self Working, Sleight Free, No Set up, FASDIU" Trick List (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL