The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tables and cases (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
In process of designing a fold up rolling table in a case form with shelves in back. There are several builders out there but the price is pretty high so will build myself. Will use 4x8 plywood sheets so can make the height best for me, I am tall guy. Have all designed and am trying to decide on finish, which would be best lacquer or acrylic? Also have wondered about some kind of adhesive contact paper with some kind of design on it. I can paint nice design on it but am too lazy to do so. What do you guys advise on finish?

Gerald
I don't understand all I know about this
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Hi Gerald

Rustolium 2x is what I use. They say the one can is primer and finish but it is not. Buy the primer and the finish separate. 5 light coats of primmer and sand the next day then 6 light coats of Finnish. As far as decorating heavy duty vinyl graphics can be ordered from a sign company. That would make a pretty durable table.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I would advise not to use too thick of plywood, as the weight will be too much to carry with all of your props. Stick with 1/4 to 3/8 inch plywood, 5 to 7 ply when you can. Do not buy cheap casters for it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Think carefully before you over-decorate your tables. If you must, a simple geometric pattern of shapes is better than cartoon figures even for Kid show use. Stay classy.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've always made my own tables whether one as you describe or box type tables on a rolling pedestal. In all cases, I did not paint them. I used Velcro around the edges and attached either felt or decorative cloth. That way it can be cleaned and more importantly, it can be changed depending on the venue. Plain black for a formal stage show and more whimsical for parlor and kids shows. Magic evolves and if the finish on your table is permanent, you're stuck in a mode unless you make another table.
Where the magic begins
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Building your own Rolling table is fun-you always get the right size. Over the past 60 years I've built 4 - 2 for myself and two for my Wife. Wish I knew how to send pictures and wish you lived closer (central Florida), my Wonderful Wife (married Wonderful 63 years) peacefully passed away 10/04/19- the 2 tables are available. Ralph
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Cover it with speaker carpet like the Lefler tables. It's tough, durable and takes a beating. This is velcro friendly as well. You'll be able to add whatever decorations/signs etc. you want and change them out as needed.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/15ft-Speaker-Carp......1J67LTWU

John
Gerald Blankenship
View Profile
Loyal user
Lake O The Pines Texas
206 Posts

Profile of Gerald Blankenship
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, John Martin wrote:
Cover it with speaker carpet like the Lefler tables. It's tough, durable and takes a beating. This is velcro friendly as well. You'll be able to add whatever decorations/signs etc. you want and change them out as needed.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/15ft-Speaker-Carp......1J67LTWU

John

Thanks for info. John. You know I never thought of that but it seems the very thing I need. Thanks for reply.

Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, Dave Scribner wrote:
I've always made my own tables whether one as you describe or box type tables on a rolling pedestal. In all cases, I did not paint them. I used Velcro around the edges and attached either felt or decorative cloth. That way it can be cleaned and more importantly, it can be changed depending on the venue. Plain black for a formal stage show and more whimsical for parlor and kids shows. Magic evolves and if the finish on your table is permanent, you're stuck in a mode unless you make another table.

Thanks Dave the velcro attach method is a very good idea. Will consider this and thanks to all that replied many good ideas.
I don't understand all I know about this
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tables and cases (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL