We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Nobody ever picks me Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 16:16, Mike Powers wrote:
Awhile back Jon Racherbaumer had a top 10 list. It may have been in MAGIC Magazine. Two names from Jon's list that I haven't seen on other lists in this post are Bill Kalush and Paul Chosse.

Mike

Hi Mike!

That was an interesting list Jon did. He later amended it and did several other lists. The criteria for each was different, and I think there was a good reason for that. There are dozens of great cardmen alive, and how you draw a top ten list is a very subjective thing. So, Jon did the next best thing: he defined the qualifications for the list, and made them different for each list. He ended up with three "Top Ten" lists!

He had the "Theatrical", "Pure Skill", and "Old Guard" categories, and then the "Those Who Do Not Easily Fit Into Any Category" (which suits them just fine!) Category! That was the one I wound up in!

Hell, I'm glad I'm on any list at all, even a hit list! Come to think of it, maybe Rockie was doing just that, setting us all up for the young guns... I notice he didn't put himself on any of those lists - and that ain't cuz he's modest!

Best,

PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Franks Starsini heads my feces roster Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Bill Malone and Daryl .

Hey Pete, when are coming out with a DVD?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 12:47, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-02 03:42, Dorian Rhodell wrote:

What can you possibly gain knowing the names of the top ten magicians?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell

Top ten CARD MAGICIANS IN THE USA...

The reason I started this thread was to find out who and what people like in card magic. I already started a thread on on card magic as to who are the best card magic entertainers.

The information was that the two top card entertainers were Ricky Jay and Bill Malone.

There are other great card entertainers out there but they were the most often mentoned in that thread.

So I started a thread on skill not entertainment. And because card magic is an art form when done well. And art is a personal point of view and is subjective...

I wrote the post in the manor above.

What this tells me is several things. Because the information comes from many different points of view. People like different kinds of skill with card magic. They like the teaching and routines of Michael Ammar...

And they like the skill of the card sharp methods of Steve Forte...

Two different sides of the same yard stick.

The interesting thing is that back in Dai Vernon's day there were no video's or DVD's when the Spix gave us a list of the top ten card stars.

So when Vernon went to New York the only way you could see him was Live - and you would have to go to New York to do so.

Now we have video's and DVD's and if you get the video or the DVD you can see a great card magicians work in your own living room.

This has not only let us see them but also learn from them...

The video/DVD has pushed card magic forward and I find it most interesting to read who likes who in card magic.

Thank you all for posting...

Hi Bish,

I agree with you. But I feel the readers would strongly benefit as to WHY they believe that person should make the list. What good does it do if I tell you that Mr. So and so should be on the top ten because he "rocks"? You gained nothing from it but an opinion that bears no weight. I could name off ten people that many others on this forum have never heard of mainly because they are not very visible in the magic community. But if I did that you wouldn't find out what I like in card magic. Instead you would just get a list of ten names. That's not helping anyone. So all I'm saying once again is, let's put a little WHY in there.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 21:20, Pete Biro wrote:
Franks Starsini heads my feces roster Smile

Finally, I'm on someone's list.
Does this mean I'm almost famous?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
Hmmm, he may not be a performing magician unless you visit him at his store in Glasgow. I don't see how you could mention Jerry Sadowitz (who is a pretty brilliant card man) and not mention Roy Walton who Jerry thinks is the best.

You only have to look at some of the effects from some of the great card guys today which invariably include phrases like " based on an idea by Roy Walton" to know what a contribution he has made over the years.

Type "Roy Walton cards" into Google, and you'll see what I mean.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Lennart Green, Bill Malone, and for a tie, Allan Ackerman and Daryl. Smile
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I couldn't get 10 but I got these:

* Daryl
* Bill Malone
* Michael Ammar
slakk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of slakk
Darwin Ortiz
Steve Forte
Andrew Wimhurst
Eric McMillian
Lou Lancaster
Bill Malone
Jeff McBride
Paul Chosse
Bruce Cervon
Martin Nash
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
58 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
Andrew Wimhurst
Steve Forte
Darwin Ortiz
Martin Nash
Ray kosby
Lennart Green
Jerry Andrus
Allan Ackerman
Earnest Earick
Jack Carpenter
Pit Hartling

I know, that's 11. I can't get rid of any one of those guys before the others.
lchemist
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of lchemist
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Bill Goodwin yet.
houdini33
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of houdini33
Everybody forgot Bebel the French magician.
One of the best for sure!
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Speaking of leaving off names, I can't believe no one has mentioned Steve Beam. He has devoted years to the art of card magic and is truly an outstanding entertainer with cards. He published The Trap Door and has five volumes of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks.

Steve can truly made card magic entertaining and not just a demonstration of skill.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Frank Garcia was spotted at a Burger King in Little Rock, Arkansas last week, so let's add his name.

Anybody heard of Howard Schwartzman? One of the best out there.

Don
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I'm sure it was a mistake guys, but you forgot KUKRAM. It's OK, though. The name is kind of funny.

Just remember Kukram. Smile

OK, Also Sadowitz, Vincent, Kukram, Ortiz, Wimhurst, Kukram, Forte, Walton, Kukram, England, Chosse and---what's that guy's name? Oh, yeah...KUKRAM. Smile

(I hope this subliminal messaging works.)
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
marcus2
View Profile
New user
uk
78 Posts

Profile of marcus2
Jay Ose
Howard Schwartzman
Bill Malone
Stephen Minch
Richard Kaufman
Ortiz
Elmsley
Lorayne
Zarrow
Ackerman
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Would I get in trouble if I said John Bannon?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4930 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fred Kaps, a true master.
He did an amazing card trick for over 73 million people 1964:

- He was the guy who had the unenviable job of following the Beatles when they made their debut appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show":

Ed Sullivan's February 9, 1964 installment truly was "a really big show. Some 73 million viewers tuned in to watch Fred Kaps' card (Homing Card) and salt-shakers trick and Wells & the Four Fays doing their unique brand of "acrobatic physical comedy."
Oh yeah, there was also a little outfit from Liverpool called the Beatles making their U.S. television debut. "
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1211 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Francois Dupont.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL