The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
TheGreatDane
View Profile
Regular user
White Plains, NY
183 Posts

Profile of TheGreatDane
I can't believe no one's mentioned Simon Lovell! Granted, he's originally from England, but he's been working in the States for a long time.
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." ~Vincent Van Gogh
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
As noted already many different times here and in other threads, is the fact that this question is very subjective. The question had no parameters so the answers carry little weight. Every time a question like this is posed, everyone feels compelled to chime in and give an opinion. Eventually threads like these die because the people you were going to mention have already been mentioned by someone who never saw them but heard about them from someone who borrowed the DVD and forgot to give it back to the person they originally borrowed it from ad nauseum.
So why don't we try to ask questions with parameters? The answers you all seek will be more defined. For example instead of asking a vague question such as "who is the best card magician", maybe we should ask "who is the best using the diagonal palm shift or pass or whatever". On top of that, maybe we should write WHY that person is the best at that certain thing. What road did that person travel down to become the "best" at that certain thing? (That would be interesting in itself).
There is no best or top ten. And if there was...do you really care that much? Are you a better magician for it? Did you get any useful info out of it? What can you possibly gain knowing the names of the top ten magicians? (Also keep in mind that this IS the internet and you should consider your sources). If questions can be structured in a way that the person posing the question can really narrow it down to find out the information they need, maybe their answers will be more...shall we say...informative.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 17:43, roya wrote:
Michael Ammar? Top 10? Are we talking about the same guy? Smile

Yes, we are talking about the same guy.

For me a great cardician is not only a great tecnician. He should be a great magician, and in my opinion Michael is a great magician and cardician and sure he is one of the best close-up magicians in the whole history, and a great person also. That´s why I voted him, but if you like I could explain the others votes also.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Thomas J. Polis
View Profile
New user
Maryland USA
3 Posts

Profile of Thomas J. Polis
My opinion limits me to only the performers I have seen in person, and that has not been too many.

I like Buddy Farnan - He makes cards fun. Great interaction with the audience!

From what I remember, Frank Yuen was really creative with cards.

And if you think of card productions with gloves on, or have ever seen him do a cold, classic force - it's Billy Bishop!
(Yes. I know he passed away, but he lives eternally in my heart!)

And there was this other guy a very long time ago who taught me a handful of "Aces" routines. His technical skills were awesome and had quite a lot of patience in showing a lanky, clumbsy guy how to do some awesome card routines.
The guy was a pudgey little kid who use to manage a magic shop in Oak Park, Illinois and he had a bit of a wandering eye. He moved away from the Chicago area and I think he went on to do great work with a hyno show.

What is his name? .... I am trying really hard to recall! Sure wish I could remember his name! Ummmmmm....

Oh, yeah. His name is Glenn Bishop.
(...and it is spelled with 2 "N"s!)
"Whatever you do, do it with all your might. Work at it, early and late, in season and out of season, not leaving a stone unturned, and never deferring for a single hour that which can be done just as well now." --- P. T. Barnum
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
As stated before, Alan Ackerman and Jamy Ian Swiss undecidedly make the list. The best of the best.
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of hnegash
A couple of nights ago I had the oppurtunity to witness the magic of "Jack the Ripper". The card trick he did was more stunning than his name. He had me shuffle and cut the pack. He then asked me to cut a portion into his hand. After receiving the packet he looked me in the eyes and said 15 cards. He then proceeded to count the cards, and there were in fact 15 cards, but as an extra bonus the last card counted was an Ace. He did this three more times, each time it was a different number of cards and the last card counted was always an Ace. A stunning piece of magic. I'm still losing sleep over it.

Henok
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
What comes to mind right now,

Juan Tamariz
Darwin Ortiz
Allen Ackerman
Steve Forte
Andrew Wimhurst
Bill Malone
Martin Nash
Jerry Sadowitz
Michael Vincent
Guy Holliworth

saludos
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Gracias Camador for the remember!

How could I forget Andrew Wimhurst? What a great cardician he is!

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
Ditto for Andrew Wimhusrt. The devil from down under rocks. I love Andrew's Awesome Foursome routine and his Ultimate Topsy Turvy Aces.

We have never met but look forward to the day when we do.

Mike Vincent
London
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Michael, if you want meet him you only have to come to Spain in less than a month to the Spanish National Convention of Magic, take a look here for more info http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......31&0

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
There is not a thing wrong with Ammar. I am sure you have learned something from him. So get off it
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
256 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
My take on top ten living, performing card men.
Juan Tamariz
Alan Ackerman
Johnny Thompson
Andrew Wimhurst
Bill Malone
Daryl
Jerry Sadowitz
Eric Anderson
Guy Hollingsworth
Darwin Ortiz

Of course, limiting to ten, there will always be disagreements. But hey, that's what a forum is for. Good topic.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
No way can this be limited to ten. So many great names have already been mentioned. Just to be different and come up with a couple new ones:
Bob Stencil
Ron Bauer
Nick Trost
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2004-06-02 03:42, Dorian Rhodell wrote:

What can you possibly gain knowing the names of the top ten magicians?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell

Top ten CARD MAGICIANS IN THE USA...

The reason I started this thread was to find out who and what people like in card magic. I already started a thread on on card magic as to who are the best card magic entertainers.

The information was that the two top card entertainers were Ricky Jay and Bill Malone.

There are other great card entertainers out there but they were the most often mentoned in that thread.

So I started a thread on skill not entertainment. And because card magic is an art form when done well. And art is a personal point of view and is subjective...

I wrote the post in the manor above.

What this tells me is several things. Because the information comes from many different points of view. People like different kinds of skill with card magic. They like the teaching and routines of Michael Ammar...

And they like the skill of the card sharp methods of Steve Forte...

Two different sides of the same yard stick.

The interesting thing is that back in Dai Vernon's day there were no video's or DVD's when the Spix gave us a list of the top ten card stars.

So when Vernon went to New York the only way you could see him was Live - and you would have to go to New York to do so.

Now we have video's and DVD's and if you get the video or the DVD you can see a great card magicians work in your own living room.

This has not only let us see them but also learn from them...

The video/DVD has pushed card magic forward and I find it most interesting to read who likes who in card magic.

Thank you all for posting...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2877 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Awhile back Jon Racherbaumer had a top 10 list. It may have been in MAGIC Magazine. Two names from Jon's list that I haven't seen on other lists in this post are Bill Kalush and Paul Chosse.

Mike
Chris Larson
View Profile
New user
Sacramento Ca
20 Posts

Profile of Chris Larson
Earl Nelson is the best that I have had the pleasure to watch
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
And I consider Mike Powers a great many with a deck of cards. Also Jon Racherbaumer of course. And two less known magicians that I used to hang out with Al Bach and Jim Gleason.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Ok.. here's mine: Ricky Jay
Andrew Wimhurst
Darwin Ortiz
Martin Nash
Jack Carpenter
Allan Ackerman
Lennert Green
Greg Wilson
Jon Racherbaumer
& more recently Simon Lovell
Self concept is destiny..
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Might I just say that Andrew Wimhurst is a close personal friend of mine and that actually he is a very poor magician who kicks puppies for kicks.

(just kidding andrew)

I've known Andrew for many years and he has taught me a great deal. His attention to detail and dedication to his style and presentation has set the bar very high for me. If it wasn't for him and Phil Bevan I wouldn't be full time pro today.

In fact, for many years I wouldn't accept a booking for someone asking for a card sharp or card magician unless I knew that Andrew had turned it down first because I didn't think it was fair to sell myself as a card magician when someone like him was in town.

But since I learnt about the puppy kicking....
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of ASW
I'm speechless.

It was me or the puppy. I swear.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL