The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
What about Jay Sankey and Oz Pearlman?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Joint top cardician --> Guy Hollingworth & Darwin Ortiz

IMHO
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
The issue of Michael Ammar is very interesting.If you are judging his performance from what you saw in ETMCM,think again.In ETMCM,granted he uses mainly Double Cuts ect.(not the most difficult sleights).But that's exactly why the DVDs were called EASY to Master Card Magic.Michael is very proficient in all sleights.If you have a look at his Early Ammar tapes and Dai Vernon's Revelations you will see this.Even the Pass which he shuns,he could very well(see his book).
To me Ammar should be in the top 10,because of his knowledge,teaching and ability.
Jaun Tamariz,Bill Mallone,Guy Hollingworth,Darwin Ortiz are up there.And although their technical ability is up there with Ortiz,Paul Harris and John Bannon for their creations.
Andre
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
One name that's missing here, and should be given some consideration, is Kostya Kimlat. He's easily in the vanguard of younger magicians. His thinking and his work are top-notch.

Also, I do believe that Andrew Wimhurst should be mentioned again. He has become, without even trying, the best card magician in the entire Middle East.

And what about Jason England? He's contributed to this thread, but should not be overlooked.

On another board, Paul Rooney wrote, "Don't trust any magi over the age of 30 and you will miss out on most of the best magic ever created, in my opinion. These creative types, many of whom are on this board, are eager to share their knowledge." I have seen and experienced this generosity first-hand.

I'm more than twice the age of some of these guys, and I realize (more than somewhat ruefully) that I will never possess even one-fourth of their talent.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
green
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of green
Juan Tamariz and lennart green
DrSammy
View Profile
New user
Greater Toronto Area
52 Posts

Profile of DrSammy
Quote:
On 2005-05-15 05:53, andre combrinck wrote:
To me Ammar should be in the top 10,because of his knowledge,teaching and ability.
Jaun Tamariz,Bill Mallone,Guy Hollingworth,Darwin Ortiz are up there.And although their technical ability is up there with Ortiz,Paul Harris and John Bannon for their creations.
Andre

As far as I can tell, this is the first mention of Paul Harris in this thread. I've been deprived in that I've never seen him perform, but based on the creativity of his published material and the ubiquitous praise for his effects I find his absence surprising. I'm not trying to put down the other choices made here - I can find fault with very few (*ducks the incoming bricks from the "Blaine/Oz/Copperfield is the greatest" club*), but would have expected to see him mentioned sooner.

DrSammy
Many an ancient lord's last words had been, "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh." -- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
Mike aka Duffy
View Profile
New user
York, PA
8 Posts

Profile of Mike aka Duffy
[quote]On 2005-05-15 10:08, Steve Friedberg wrote:
One name that's missing here, and should be given some consideration, is Kostya Kimlat. He's easily in the vanguard of younger magicians. His thinking and his work are top-notch.

This Past weekend, I had the pleasure of seeing Kostya perform and lecture at Magical May Day in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. If you get a chance to see him work, DO IT! He has phenomenal technique, entertaining and creative presentations, and on top of all that, he's a genuinely nice guy.
- Mike
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Is it just me...or am I the only one who thinks Harry Lorrayne should be on this list?

Mike
MysticK
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MysticK
No one opted for Oliver Macia?

In no particular order -

Alan Ackerman
Lee Asher
Larwin Ortiz
Lennart Green
Ray Kosby
Jeff McBride
Bill Malone
Richard Kaufman
Oliver Macia
Aerodynamically the bumble bee should not be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Two other really great cardmen who have not been seen much on video but were proficent in written media are Doug Edwards and Gene Maze.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Jimmy "Cards" Molini
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I'm only listing people I know personally and have seen work, talked to, and who are - "Living Today":

1.) Ron Bauer
2.) Bruce Cervon
3.) Gary Plants
4.) Bill Kalush
5.) Steve Freeman
6.) Ricky Jay
7.) Bob Stencil
8.) Jon Racherbaumer
9.) Bill Goodwin
10.)Darwin Ortiz

Best, PSC

P.S. Another list - all gone - Vernon, Miller, McMillen, Marlo, Kort, Skinner, Hamman, Jud Brown, Vic Kirk, Jim Cooper - ten who I saw who are no longer with us, but would have made the list...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
THis is only my opinion. I don't think oz pearlman jay sankey or piacente are on the list. They are fare from being on the top 75 list. Just my opinion though.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'd have to add Simon Lovell... Only saw one mention

Best,
Tom
daffy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of daffy
With no order, my favorites:

- Daniel Rhod
- Bébel
- Steve Forte
- Richard Turner
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Does anyone have top favourite card workers in NY? Spending 2 weeks there in August - would appreciate links/contacts to hook up with.

Thanks peeps.

(Might forget about this post - if anyone knows of NY workers *or sharks* I'd be hugely appreciative - a simple list of names over PM would be super kind.)
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
1. Al Smith (England)
2. Paul Gordon (England)
3. Roy Walton (England/Scotland)
4. Peter Duffie (Scotland)
5. Jerry Sadowitz (Scotland)
6. Juan Tamariz (Spain)
7. Roger Kelly (Flitwick England)
8. Me ! (England)
9 & 10. ????
Please note we currently have 2 vacancies - not being biased but you have to be from Europe (and preferably the UK)!!!
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
1. Chad Sanborn
2. David Roth
3. Michael Ammar
4. Richard Osterlind
5. Tabary
6. Curtis Kam
7. Dean Dill
8. Criss Angel
9. david Blaine
10.Oz Pearlman
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lists are a joke, sorry...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Pete - don't agree with you on this one.

Why? Well lists can throw up a name for other magi (especially those new to the game) that they haven't heard of and subsequently generate further study.

For example, a guy on my list is Al Smith. I doubt if many guys across the pond have heard much about Al Smith other than his book Cards On Demand (1980 reprinted 1982) yet the guy has produced a wealth of card material and brilliant ideas in other booklets that range from self working to complex over the past 20+ years.

If simply a name generates further investigation/study, then in my view lists do indeed serve a purpose.
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Top ten card stars... Living today! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL