The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with upgrading Wooden Box Lock Hardware (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3139 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I had a fantastic version of this box years ago. Unfortunately it was lost at some point. I bought a replacement box that was identical except for one problem.

When you put the key in the keyhole it is not held in place at all by the lock. This means you have to understand how to hold the key at the correct angle and depth to get it to engage the mechanism. It's awkward for adults to do and impossible for kids.

It's easy to imagine how the key/lock should work. You put the key in and if you let go the key stays in the lock at right angles to it. You can then turn the key with no concern about anything but turning it.

Instead what happens is you put the key in the keyhole and let go of it and it slouches down and doesn't engage anything inside the lock.

these boxes are a cottage industry and there is no gurantee that any two are alike. I'd like to order one and if necessary change out the lock mechanism.

I need to know the proper terminology in order to order the part I need. How would I order a lock mechanism that supports they key as I describe? (It's not really anything sepecial it's just the way most locks work. It's frustrating that these box manufactureres have chosen a really lousy mechanism)

https://www.amazon.com/Tubibu-Walnut-Tre......&sr=8-15
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1905 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
145 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Without seeing a front view of the box its difficult to know what you need to do. There are a couple of possibilities, one being that the keyhole could use an Escutcheon plate to help support the key, although most Jews of this type are generally held in place (some better than others). It may also be missing the key pin in the lock so its not supported. A front close up photo would help. You can also PM me. I've installed many of these types of locks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with upgrading Wooden Box Lock Hardware (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL