The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ MonKey by Jeff Prace (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5251 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, MadisonH wrote:
This is a great piece, but I think itís impossible to keep on a keychain long term.

Iíve been carrying mine on a keychain since magi-fest (just with a car key and no other keys)

And it has completely broken apart twice on me both times just in my pocket. The first time I lost all of the internal pieces. Jeff didnít offer to replace it. He just offered to send me the missing pieces and gave me a diagram of how to put it back together. I did this and used gorilla glue to hold it in place. It worked for about a month and then fell apart again in my pocket (despite me being VERY careful in carrying it.)

Guess Iím going back to get more glue. I wish it was welded together or something to prevent it from popping open.

Madison

Now that you mention it I had a similar thing happen, although not in my pocket, it just came apart while I was practicing with it. I emailed Jeff and he responded quickly but IIRC he said I could try and fix it or I could return it for a refund. Since I actually found it pretty easy to put back together I went ahead and fixed it. As I mentioned in my previous post mine could sometimes be tricky to reset, but after having had it apart and seeing the actual workings inside I had a better idea of what was going on so the reset became a little easier.

Hopefully Jeff has devised a way to keep it together more securely now.

Again, love the effect, itís just unfortunately not practical for me.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5251 Posts

Profile of videoman
A quick follow up...
The creator of this effect, Jeff Prace, apparently read my 2 recent posts on this topic where I wrote of a couple things I didnít care for about his prop. Jeff PMed me and was very interested in getting my feedback and opinions because he explained that he is continually striving to improve his props in any way possible.

I think itís great when a creator actually reaches out to a customer and is genuinely interested in getting honest feedback. That is all too rare and I applaud Jeff as being one of the very few who would take the time to do this. I can tell that he sincerely cares about the products he creates and sells and takes a lot of pride in his creations. Itís obviously not just about making the most money.
I wish there were more magic creators who felt the way Jeff does. Kudos man, keep up the good work!
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Videoman, I have to applaud Jeff as well. He went out of his way to make sure I was happy with my purchase and I have a new MonKey on its way to me. Heís one of the good guys in magic, and this just cements that idea further.

Madison
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1037 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
This is a great piece, but I think itís impossible to keep on a keychain long term.

Iíve been carrying mine on a keychain since magi-fest (just with a car key and no other keys)

And it has completely broken apart twice on me both times just in my pocket. The first time I lost all of the internal pieces. Jeff didnít offer to replace it. He just offered to send me the missing pieces and gave me a diagram of how to put it back together. I did this and used gorilla glue to hold it in place. It worked for about a month and then fell apart again in my pocket (despite me being VERY careful in carrying it.)

Guess Iím going back to get more glue. I wish it was welded together or something to prevent it from popping open.

Madison

Thanks for the heads up, Madison! I had it on my carry about key chain. Based on your and Videoman's experiences, I'm removing it post haste!!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5251 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:

Madison

Thanks for the heads up, Madison! I had it on my carry about key chain. Based on your and Videoman's experiences, I'm removing it post haste!!

Rosario,
Do you have one of the original silver keys or the newer brass key?
I had one of the originals and Jeff explained to me that based on user feedback, he improved the mechanism inside the key so it is easier to set as well as designing an entirely new tool to reset the key. In addition, he now uses an industrial strength adhesive to keep the key together.

So while I cannot guarantee your key will last for years on your EDC key chain, and obviously I cannot advise you to always keep it on your key chain, I do believe it will not come apart as easily as mine and Madison's did.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1565 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I just got in my newer brass key.

It does seem to be a genuine improvement over the silver version. The new resetting device makes it significantly easier to reset.

Time will tell if itís more sturdy. Iím adding to my keychain today and will report back with my results.

Thanks,
Madison
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1037 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks, videoman. I do, indeed, have the newer brass key. Still nervous, though... Smile
RichOrvec
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of RichOrvec
Just thought Iíd let people know this and Jeffís other products are now in stock again.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2303 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Got mine yesterday. Is the gimmick supposed to feel and sound ďtinnyĒ when you flick it so you can sense the key is in parts?
MagicVin
View Profile
Regular user
Staten Island, New York
191 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
Mine is on my keys all the time as is my reset tool .... have had zero issues I love it
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
335 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Looks great but a tad pricey for a non-working magician..a great every day carry...I'm wondering if the key can be cut to look more like a real key, rather than a blank...My wife will kill me if I order something for $100 bucks...I'm ordering a few other things from Jeff, yes I know its only money
Rand
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Rand
I suspect, no, but... Is there any chance a PK ring is strong enough to reset it? That would open some possibilities.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1319 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just received this and am in complete awe. It took a little time figuring out how to reset it but I finally got it down in about an hour. This is something I will definitely use often. Examinable magic that I can carry on my keychain that's ready at a moment's notice and packs small but plays big is right up my alley. Comes with the highest of recommendations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ MonKey by Jeff Prace (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL