The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2020, yin_howe wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2020, BobMc wrote:
...but I have the TCC ACAB 2.0 cups from Michael Ammar and they are a little different.

besides the different metal and finish?

Yes, the shape as well. The Legend Cups and the TCC ACAB 2.0 cups look very similar, but they don't stack interchangeably.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I should be getting a set today to check them out.
Will post back some brief thoughts.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Well after the post office misdirecting our mail, the Legend Cups have arrived. I was first impressed on how much the delivery box weighed.

I ordered my set from Hocus-Pocus over the past weekend, 150.00 with free 2 day Priority Mail. Thanks to the gang at HP.

Upon opening the box, everything was very securely packed. The box containing the cups s a work of art in itself. Upon opening the box I
was greeted by a beautiful piece of printed parchment. I lifted the parchment to reveal the beautiful shiny copper cups, or so I thought. I'll get
back to what I mean by that further into the review.

I was a little dismayed by the fact that there was nothing between each cup ie. Tissue Paper. But to my relief there was no marks on any of the
cups, again so I thought. The silk interior of the box is just Classy. It includes (4) 1 1/8" crocheted balls in wool, I'm not a fan of wool yarn, but
the balls are nice.

Each cup weight is different, 8.7, 8.6 and 8.9, total stacked weight 1 lb 11oz. You can do a 3 ball stack with them and each cup took a Penn
regulation tennis ball with no sticking. Moves like cup through cup works great without effort. The stacking is solid, very little if any rock at all.
The rings like bells when mouth up and tapped. Again more on this later, as I know I made a post earlier stating copper will ring depending on
alloys involved.

I'll let others review the handling and performance of the cups. Ok, onto the "So I thought" notations.

The cups are not spun, they are definitely CNC cups, which is not a bad thing. This adds to their weight and consistency. The difference in weight
between cup was minor and also common in CNC mass produced metals.

I purposely did a scratch test and a density test on one of the cups. Why? Because you are NOT getting Copper cups, you are getting Copper Plated
cups, the base material is brass after doing an chemical test on the scratch test I made. This is why they ring like Bells. No copper I have ever machined
on a manual lathe or our CNC here ever resulted in the type of ring you get with these cups. To advertise these cup as Copper is just not right. With a retal
of 150.00 there is no way machinable Copper, usually C110 which is the cheapest of Copper right now. There was a reason Johnson could get 350.00 for
their limited Copper cups, they are real copper.

After using a chemical test on the scratch test I did, it turned Black which indicted Bronze or Brass.

The "So I Thought" on the statement of No Marks on the cups, I was wrong once I looked inside the cups. The are 4 dots in the cups, each identical in each
cup. These are what I refer to as "Racking Scars" they are left behind from the rack when electroplating. Based on the Racking Scars and the depth of the
scratch test the plating is not that heavy on these.

Another tell tale sign of plating is what we call "Hot Spots". On the exterior of the cup I felt little pricks, this happens when the density of parts vary on
an item being plated and more of the plating is drawn to one spot. All 3 of my cups have a bunch of Hot Spots. This does take away from the finish as
it is uncomfortable performing with cups that have so many spots.

All in all, for 150.00 you really can't beat these cups, but how soon they will wear the plating off is going to be determined on how much you use them. They
look nice out and in the box, but durability of the plating is my concern. Mine will never wear off simply because I won't use them, I use Paul Fox and Gazzo cups
exclusively.

Out of 5 Stars I rate the following:

Purchase 5
Price 5
Honesty from Murphys 0
Packaging 5
Finish 3
Durability of Copper Plating 2
Recommendation to Collectors only 5
Recommendation to Heavy Use Performers 0

-MJJ
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of BCS
Jake Jr... I hope you and the family are doing well.

That was one of the best Cup reviews I have read in a long while...Good job.

Take care,
Bruce
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
751 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Thanks Jake!
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Thanks Jake!! You will not have that problem with the 1000-G cups! They are exactly as described. No B.S. Just straight forward honesty. That is the best approach!
If you have to mislead customers to sell a product, why sell it? If you are a worker, why buy a product that is not going to last a lifetime?
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5230 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Holy smokes Jake! Can you please review EVERY new magic prop out there? What a thorough, honest, educated, and unbiased commentary. We can only hope you do more prop reviews in the future...we'll all benefit! Thank you sir.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Holy smokes Jake! Can you please review EVERY new magic prop out there? What a thorough, honest, educated, and unbiased commentary. We can only hope you do more prop reviews in the future...we'll all benefit! Thank you sir.

Hi Wiz, how have you been? I don't like leaving a review like this.

Thank you to those who appreciated the review.

One thing I did leave out is the Seat or Saddle of the cup. For the style of the cup they seem too small to me. But then I put the Penn Tennis ball onto the Seat of the cup and I was Wowed by it. It really helps the illusion of the
final load being too large to fit the cup. This is a plus to me.

Kindest Regards,
-MJJ
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, kcmagic1 wrote:
Thanks Jake!! You will not have that problem with the 1000-G cups! They are exactly as described. No B.S. Just straight forward honesty. That is the best approach!
If you have to mislead customers to sell a product, why sell it? If you are a worker, why buy a product that is not going to last a lifetime?

KC, I have no doubt about the G1000 cups. As soon as I square up with you, they will be replacing my Gazzo for fair performances & events here locally. I'm not a street
performer but I love performing for locals at our special town events. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

-MJJ
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I need to make a correction. The balls supplied are Cotton Crochet thread, not wool. I apologize for my error.

-MJJ
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

I got my set yesterday. Great packaging but I could really care less about that especially given conservation issues.
I think the entire world needs to simplify and start getting used to less waste. Nonetheless very nice if you’re into that.

The cups are heavy. Perhaps too heavy.
They feel like heavier, bigger Johnson cups.

They can’t compare to Sherwood cups.

Personally I I’ll take a spun set any day.
They have more personality and feel more “alive” in my hands.
It’s hard to describe but perhaps some will know what I mean.

Balls are nice.
They look nice.
Shape is good. Saddle is just right. Much like the Johnson saddle.

I could see myself using them with no complaints.

As long as you know what you’re getting you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Jake
Thanks for going the extra mile with the scratch test.
They do feel “brass-ish” for sure. Not surprised.

Frank
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
480 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Jake, thank you for the wonderful review ! Learned a lot from the post!
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Wow. Could not have asked for a better product overview. Thanks for the time you put into this detailed review Jake. Cheers my friend!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2211 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I may have missed it but is a set of balls included? If so what size and color and by chance will one cup be chopped?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
869 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2020, unclesamayen wrote:
Jake, thank you for the wonderful review ! Learned a lot from the post!

Ditto! Great, informative review, Jake. Thanks!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of BCS
Mike... Jake Jr review says 1/18 in another review I read the balls are blue.

Take care,
Bruce
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, BCS wrote:
Mike... Jake Jr review says 1/18 in another review I read the balls are blue.

Take care,
Bruce

Hi Bruce, hope you are doing well yourself. We're all fine here, or at least as well as to be expected Smile

The balls that came with my set were Red, they might vary in colors.

Kindest Regards,
Jake Jr.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
751 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, shomemagic wrote:
I may have missed it but is a set of balls included? If so what size and color and by chance will one cup be chopped?

BLUE balls were included with the Artistic Cups and Balls 2.0 (Micheal Ammar).
No Chop.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

I got red balls as well and they are quite nice, IMO.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I got red balls as well and they are quite nice, IMO.

Frank, with you on that, they are very nice. The reason I first thought they were wool, was because a thicker thread
is used, which is advantage with some moves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL