The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
478 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Just curious, what the difference between the different material ?
Copper, Brass, aluminum ?
Just the weight ? The sound ? Or any other feature ?

Does the material matters when performing ?
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, unclesamayen wrote:
Just curious, what the difference between the different material ?
Copper, Brass, aluminum ?
Just the weight ? The sound ? Or any other feature ?

Well, in my opinion, the material matters. Aluminum cups will not hold up depending on your routine. Thin copper does not hold up. Thick copper doesn't hold up. When I say that it doesn't hold up, I am solely talking about in my routine and the fact that, until recently, I would have to buy a new set of cups every year because of damage to the cups. Some cups would only last me a weekend. I have not used brass, however, I am not a big fan of the look of brass. The sound is another big difference. I am a big sound person and I like it when the audience can hear the sound as well.

To answer your second question, to me, the material matters primarily because of the sound and durability. I put my cups through the ringer and aluminum will not withstand that. With my routine, aluminum would not last a day. Copper lasts me longer but I still have to replace my cups after a year. Last year, I had to buy 3 sets of cups, copper. My cups must have had a rough year last year. To me, as a working professional, and not a collector, I want to purchase a product that is going to last me for a long time, if not a lifetime.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Quote:

I see kcmagic1 already responded but I will give my thoughts as well. His large street cups are great and definitely built to be durable. I hope he continues to make cups.

For most people who are not slamming their cups to make noise to attract a crowd in a busking situation, copper cups will hold up great. Brass cups don't look as good as they age in my opinion unless you keep them shiny or if they have some sort of finish on them. Aluminum is definitely lighter. The one cup I do like in Aluminum is the Don Alan Mini chop cup. It is very light and easy to keep in my front jeans pocket without noticing it throughout the day. That aluminum cup is only 1 ounce and the copper cup is 3.5 ounces.

The other thing to consider is a CNC cup versus a spun cup. CNC cups are often thicker, heavier, and more durable. When I first heard someone on this forum say "spun cups have soul" I laughed, but now I know exactly what they were talking about. It sounds silly to say, but a spun RNT2 cup or Sherwood cup definitely has a different feel than a CNC cup. I don't know how to describe it but I enjoy practicing with them more for some reason. That said, people like Jake Jr. and kcmagic1 sell very durable CNC cups that would be okay if dropped on a hard surface. That is definitely a consideration too. All just my opinion at this moment of course.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
751 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Personal preference mostly.
Some like shiny Stainless steel, Silver or Gold.
I like the look of copper, but brass is more durable(?). This set seems like the best of both the copper/brass worlds.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1873 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I've uploaded my in-depth review of the Legend Cups & Balls here.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109

Hope it help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
751 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Anyone had their cups develop patina uyet?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5230 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wonderful review Alex. Thank you for putting in the time and sharing your opinions with us.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
No patina yet on mine Yin. They're in a display case.

Alex, excellent video review, but a few a few questions as you have Satin Antique finish and I have the Mirror finish. The first thing,
you say Murphy's says they are copper, not copper plated. But in another breath you say Murphy's is a good company. Thanks sorta
of an Oxymoron. Just saying.

The satin cups are plated, then are dipped into an Ammonia or Oxidizing batch. Afterwards, they are rinsed they are satin finished.
What I'm leading up to is burn marks on the outside. There is no anodes on the outside, or did you mean "Hot Spots?" that are sharp
on the outside?

The sound test for the cups were stifled copper clanks against each other. All cups will make that sound. The true sound test is setting
them mouth up and tapping them lightly on the body or mouth bead of the cup to get the true sound of the cup.

I don't mean to sound critical because your review was awesome, just trying to understand the differences between the polished and
the satin that you have.

Kindest Regards,
Jake Jr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1873 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2020, Mad Jake wrote:
No patina yet on mine Yin. They're in a display case.

Alex, excellent video review, but a few a few questions as you have Satin Antique finish and I have the Mirror finish. The first thing,
you say Murphy's says they are copper, not copper plated. But in another breath you say Murphy's is a good company. Thanks sorta
of an Oxymoron. Just saying.

The satin cups are plated, then are dipped into an Ammonia or Oxidizing batch. Afterwards, they are rinsed they are satin finished.
What I'm leading up to is burn marks on the outside. There is no anodes on the outside, or did you mean "Hot Spots?" that are sharp
on the outside?

The sound test for the cups were stifled copper clanks against each other. All cups will make that sound. The true sound test is setting
them mouth up and tapping them lightly on the body or mouth bead of the cup to get the true sound of the cup.

I don't mean to sound critical because your review was awesome, just trying to understand the differences between the polished and
the satin that you have.

Kindest Regards,
Jake Jr.

Thanks Jake for the honest opinion and comment on my review. I always value frank exchange of opinion. Really appreciative.

I always try to assume people good intent. As the surface of the cups are obviously Copper, I would kind of forgive Murphy states that it is a set of Copper Cups. And whether the cups are made of copper or brass seems only matter to hardcore cups fan or perfectionist only, but not ordinary performers.

When I talked about 'Murphy's is a good company', I mean if the cups are defected, I think they will replace it for another set. In fact, they promised to replace my set after the review. Please forgive me if that comment of mine sound like a promotion for them. I have no affiliation with them at all.

As the the mark on my cups, it is something black and like a liquid dip. They are obvious.

For the sound test, I totally agree with you. I made that wrong. I will improve it in future.

Again, Jake thanks for comment. I did learn a lot from you.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Alex,
your video review was excellent. Thank you for taking the time to present the review in that form.

My consensus of the advertising by Murphy's Magic is they purposely mis-represented the cups. Wether the customer
is a collector or performer, the cups were represented as Copper when in fact they are copper plated brass.

I very much liked the "Rolling" test you did. Something I have never considered with any set of cups I've used or collected.
That test alone shows the mouth beads are uniform from cup to cup. After seeing that I gathered some cups of mine and was
rolling them. Very interesting results.

As to durability, the cups are solid workers. But then there is the durability of the plating. That is my concern for people
that will be working with them. Which they are definitely worthy of. But how long with the thin plating hold up? Time will tell.

I look forward to seeing more reviews of magic on your Chanel, I of course subscribed to it.

Kindest Regards,
Jake Jr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1873 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Hi Jake,

Thanks again for your kind words.

I totally agree with you that Murphy should make a better statement on the product instead of making a misinterpretation.

I am not sure abt the plated copper durability either. But since I will use the cups, I will write my findings here if there is any.

I am really happy that you have subscribed to my channel. Will surely post more reviews in future.

Alex Hui
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2020, BobMc wrote:
From what I have heard, creating copper CNC cups are a pain which is why you don’t see them often. Obviously it isn’t impossible. Johnson created a limited amount in copper.

If you use C110 copper you end up with Taffy shavings. Buryliam Copper machines 90 percent better on a CNC, but is more than double the price of C110 copper.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, juggler357 wrote:
You can pick up some PFD's at
https://www.propdog.co.uk/pfd-cups-balls, they have them in stock.

Yes, you could if they were In Stock <LOL>. Those PFD cups are inferior to the Legends cups 2/3rd lighter than the Legends, poor shoulder beads, if that is wha
you would want to call them. In most cases if you take a copper cup from China and do a cross cut, then do a lead test on them, you'll want to put gloves on to
toss them away. -MJJ
MagicVin
View Profile
New user
Staten Island, New York
85 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
Mad Jake,
I liked your input on the legend cups and balls, did you get your hands on a set of the tic artistic cups and balls? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on them.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, MagicVin wrote:
Mad Jake,
I liked your input on the legend cups and balls, did you get your hands on a set of the tic artistic cups and balls? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on them.

I don't have a set of the Artistic cups, but I'm considering a set. Alex did a great video review and included a comparison of the Legend vs. Artistic set. They are very
very close.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1873 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, MagicVin wrote:
Mad Jake,

Thanks Jake for mentioning abt the reviews.

I have done YouTube reviews for both cups
Legend Cups: https://youtu.be/2_xP7BJ9L7g
Artistic Cups: https://youtu.be/6rvnhCUeFTc

Btw, if you are thinking which one to get, I would say Artistic Cups is better.
First of all, their color look different from other cups. This will set you apart from other performers (assuming not many ppl using these cups)
Second, their appearance is more uniform and suffer from less surface issue (I saw a few set of Legend Cups, most of all have issues)
Third, Artistic Cups comes with excellent blue balls (we seldom get) and a super nice velvet bag.

Hope these info help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Btw, if you are thinking which one to get, I would say Artistic Cups is better.
First of all, their color look different from other cups. This will set you apart from other performers (assuming not many ppl using these cups)
Second, their appearance is more uniform and suffer from less surface issue (I saw a few set of Legend Cups, most of all have issues)
Third, Artistic Cups comes with excellent blue balls (we seldom get) and a super nice velvet bag.

Hope these info help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong [/quote]

Alex, I have the Legend polished cups. That's what I based my review on. The Artistic cups are very nice cups as well.
I just can't wrap my head around how China managed to pull off 3 solid brass CNC cups for a retail of 180.00, yet alone
150.00 for copper plated brass. For us to CNC that same exact cup would run us 85.00 per cup just in material costs.

I'm off to go watch your Artistic Cup review. I'm sure it will be just as great as your recorded Legend Cup review.

-MJJ
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1873 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Hi Jake,

I have recorded the video regarding the Artistic Cup sound for you.

https://youtu.be/6eyY2gGKg7Q

Please tell me if it helps.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2020, alexhui wrote:
Hi Jake,

I have recorded the video regarding the Artistic Cup sound for you.

https://youtu.be/6eyY2gGKg7Q

Please tell me if it helps.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Alex,
Thank you for taking the time to do that for me. I like the sound of Artistic cup. Ordering a set tonight.

Jake Jr.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
They are a bit too heavy for my liking.
Selling my set if anyone is interested
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/sear......=9543400
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL