The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
I've been contemplating getting a set of polished copper Cups and Balls by Legend. Anyone have them? Would like your thoughts on quality, weight, etc. So hard trying to figure it out looking at a picture. https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13020

Cheers!
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
They appear to be a version of the pdx or pfd? cups that penguin was offering. With that in mind, they are made in China and, in my opinion, the quality was ok for a beginner but definitely not for the professional. The mouth opening was 2.75". As far as whether you should spend money on them, that all depends on your needs for the cups and what type of performer that you are.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Is it just me, or are these the copper versions of the TCC Artistic Cups (Brass)?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, yin_howe wrote:
Is it just me, or are these the copper versions of the TCC Artistic Cups (Brass)?

Yes. Upon further review of the cups and watching the actual trailer, I would say that you are correct. Vanishing Inc. also puts out a set very similar to these. It says that they weigh about a half a pound each. I would definitely beware of the lemon final load. It will hold a lemon but not a large lemon.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Look like TCC in copper. If so they will hold a wilson tennis ball. Waiting on confirmation. Definitely not the PFD's. Which, I used for years as my workers. Not taking a pricey set on the streets.
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Just finished a chat session with the folks at Penguin Magic. They said the cups are 3” tall and 3” wide. Hmmmm. Would not confirm if these are TCC wannabe’s or not. I noticed Vanishing Magic sells the same Legend set. That price is hard to resist for a knock around set. I was originally waiting for the PFD cups to come back in stock but no one seems to able to get them. Drats!
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
You can pick up some PFD's at
https://www.propdog.co.uk/pfd-cups-balls, they have them in stock.
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Wondering if one of the Legend cups is a ‘combo’ cup?
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
The more I look and study these the more I’m convinced they are a replica of TCC Artistic cups in copper as mentioned earlier. They don’t appear on the TCC webpage.
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
From what I have heard, creating copper CNC cups are a pain which is why you don’t see them often. Obviously it isn’t impossible. Johnson created a limited amount in copper.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
TCC has released Artistic Cups & Balls ver 2 in Nov last year.

It is currently only available in China.

I got a set and it is gorgeous.

https://alexhuimagic.wixsite.com/magic?p......a57c9e4f

I am thinking to get Legend Cups too cos the color is different. I think they are the same as TCC's.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2020, alexhui wrote:

I am thinking to get Legend Cups too cos the color is different. I think they are the same as TCC's.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Thanks Alex. I saw the Artistic version 2 cups on the TCC website as well. They do look nice. If you get a set of the Legend cups I hope you let us know what you think of the quality, feel, and weight.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The ring confuses me. Copper does not ring.
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Actually sound travels through copper at is 4,600 meters per second. The fastest is aluminum at 6,320 meters per second. Copper alloys of brass and bronze are preferred metals in musical instruments. According to Wikipedia, “Bell metal is a hard alloy used for making bells and related instruments, such as cymbals. It is a form of bronze with a higher tin content, usually in approximately a 4:1 ratio of copper to tin (typically, 78% copper, 22% tin by mass)”.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2020, Kingry wrote:
The ring confuses me. Copper does not ring.

Copper will ring, but as Icantsleep pointed out the alloys play a big part. In cups, the if the mouth bead is open from the side of the cup it will allow
the copper to ring, nothing like brass or bronze or even stainless for that matter, but it will ring. Another factor is the annealing of the metal that
depends on whether is will ring or not.

I ordered a set of Legend cups from Hocus-Pocus, just out of curiosity. I hope to get them this week and will share about their properties and quality.

-MJJ
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts Mad Jake!
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I have ordered a set. I will do a in-depth review next week.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
I picked up a set of the polished copper and here are some initial observations. They are just about 9 ounces each and they stack very well. They sort of take a brand new regulation Penn tennis ball, but it is a little tight and I have to wiggle the cup a bit to release it. Maybe Wilson balls are a tiny bit smaller, and maybe a used ball would work. That is how close it is. I have a bunch of Chinese tennis balls that are closer to 2.5" and they fit easily. The only criticism is that the insides are not polished. They aren't as bad as the Penguin cups but they aren't pretty either. Mine have some mild burn looking marks on the inside. I actually don't care too much about that, but if you do, you can get something like Wright's copper cream or Penny-Brite and scrub the inside of each cup for a couple of minutes. It still won't make them perfect but it will improve it. The outside of the cups look perfect. I don't have any ACAB cups but I have the TCC ACAB 2.0 cups from Michael Ammar and they are a little different.
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Thanks for the information BobMc. Very helpful. I followed the “Instant Patina” method by Bruce Smith on a set of polished copper cups I had and was pleased with the results. It took out some minor imperfections in the finish. Literally took about an hour of work time and the results were amazing inside and out. They ended up looking like the patina on Gazzo’s cups. Not everyone likes that look but for street work I think it lends to the effect.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2020, BobMc wrote:
...but I have the TCC ACAB 2.0 cups from Michael Ammar and they are a little different.

besides the different metal and finish?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Legend Cups and Balls? (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL