The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Books with lots of self working content? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
88 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
I'm always on the for new great books to read. What are your favorite books that feature a good amount of quality self working card tricks?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Difficult to suggest "new books to read" if we don't know which ones you've read so far..

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I own:

Card College Light series
Fulves Self-Working Card Magic Series
Bannon's Destination Zero

These are all on self-working card magic.

If you don't mind some simple work, then Bannon's Mentalissimo, Steve Beam's Semi -Automatic Card Magic are also great resources.

Then, of course, you are spoilt for choice in books by Colombini, Trost, Carey, just to name a few, filled with easy to execute and sleight-free card magic.

Now let us know your favourites

Mark
stevie c
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of stevie c
HL's books contain plenty of great self workers, or effects that require only very simple moves. Sometimes the older ones are the best ones!!! Smile
nyborn
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of nyborn
I'm a fan of Liam Montier's Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks series.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6592 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Card Tricks Without Skill- Paul Clive
Russ182
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Russ182
Check out
John Carey any of his books have lots of self workers
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Both of my books contain self-working tricks.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1580 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Here's a relevant excerpt from my article "Why You Should Try Self-Working Card Tricks, And Where To Learn Them" [link] which addresses this, and has some titles I'd recommend:

=========

If you're looking for a book full of self-working card tricks to explore, you can't do much better than Scarne on Card Tricks. It's an older title that has been reprinted by Dover in an inexpensive edition, and teaches 75 self-working tricks.

Also very cheap are several books by Karl Fulves, each of which is chock full of over 50 self-working card tricks. Although you may have to pick and choose, there are some gems to be found in the pages of the Fulves' books, including the terrific "Gemini Twins". Of his many titles, the three best ones are probably Self-Working Card Tricks, More Self-Working Card Tricks, and Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic.

You'll also find some good self-workers in the card magic books by Bob Longe. I can also recommend Garcia & Schindler's Magic With Cards, and used copies of this can be picked up very cheaply online. It has some terrific material for beginners, including Paul Curry's famous self-working miracle "Out Of This World", which some consider the best ever trick in card magic.

But my top choice is easily the set of three brilliant titles by Roberto Giobbi, entitled Card College Light, Card College Lighter, and Card College Lightest. Most magicians will recognize the titles as a play on his best-selling Card College course that teaches the fundamentals of card magic. This course also has a companion video series of the same name, which I can highly recommend as one of the best starting points for learning sleight of hand card magic. But the Card College Light books teach some of the best self-working magic you'll find anywhere, and unlike some of the older books mentioned above, they also tell you how to present them well, and routine them together.

To get an idea of Roberto Giobbi's work, I highly recommend getting his 150 page ebook Roberto Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic [link], which includes half a dozen simpler self-workers.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6592 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"Scarne on Card Tricks. It's an older title that has been reprinted by Dover in an inexpensive edition"
-True, but I recommend spending a few more dollars to acquire the older Hardbound edition. Much nicer to hold, lovely dustjacket, and easier to learn from.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Another vote here for Scarne. He’s got many of the greatest magicians of the era contributing to his collection of self-working card tricks. There’s some fantastic stuff in there!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Gonzalo Mateos
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Gonzalo Mateos
I recomend you to read “The semiautomatics” by Dani DaOrtiz, it have some amazing ideas
Gennovense
View Profile
New user
Santiago
63 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Steve Beam's Semi Automatic Card Tricks books are the way to go!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I agree with Gennovense. Steve Beams books are pretty much all Self working to some degree but very very very clever AND he gives you really great presentations and scripts for loads of tricks. It is worth reading the books just to get presentation ideas but the tricks are great too. They are definitely worth the money. I have learnt more principles and got more ideas from Steves’ series than any other.
dustrod
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
113 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Another vote for Scarne on Card Tricks. Loads of great effects, All slightless, and many self working.
It's a collection of different effects by many of the greats in magic.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
336 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Scarne’s is awesome.
Just wish there was a sleight of hand version. If I remember correctly the effects were modified to make them sleight free. It’d have been nice to compare the differences.
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I'll second the Card College Light books (three books), Bannon's Destination Zero (note there is a book AND a CD; sold separately), and you can't go wrong with Scarne's book. The Nick Trost Subtle Card Creations series is good choice (seven volumes at the moment... they seem to add a new one every time I turn around). A side story... when I was in Junior High in 1969-70 I checked Scarne's Guide to Gambling out of the public library and bought it to school to read... the teachers gave me strange looks... another kids mother actual called my parents to complain about my influence on him. In actuality it was the mathematics I was fascinated with, not the gambling. I ended up majoring in Applied Mathematics. Scarne was a cool character to me... anyone remember his Teeko game? I still have it... and I loved playing it. His card magic book is still in print and that says a lot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Books with lots of self working content? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL