The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Offbeat (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You are about to perform a sleight that is not invisible--say a top change or a pass.

You tell a joke. The audience responds.

Do you perform the sleight

a. as you say the punchline
b. as the audience responds
c. after the audience responds
d. none of the above
e. I'm framing the question incorrectly
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Kinda going with E, but it may be pedantic.

It's difficult to give a hard and fast answer because it will change with each audience.

You do it when they are distracted and when a natural motion covers the move.

In the situation as given, I would probably do the move while making a gesture to emphasize the punchline, while they were laughing at it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I perform the Top Change using a Slydini principle - "Shoot Then "Rest.

The card to be changed is in my right hand - the selected card is on top of the deck in my left hand.

I raise both hands showing the wrong card and say "Ta da"

The I rest dropping both hands and make the Top Change.

Then I move my right hand away with the changed card and say something.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Landmark, it does depend. The typical response is to ask the spectator a question and do the move when they look at your face. That isn't always going to be practical. I do think Gerald's example of "shoot then rest" makes sense. Doing the move in the "rest" phase should hopefully result in less scrutiny. In general, when I see these kinds of questions, I wonder whether you somehow are inviting the spectators to look at your hands. I hope that is not the case.

One way that magicians unwittingly invite scrutiny is when they themselves look at their hands. The audience tends to look where you look and believe me they will most certainly look at your hands when you do.

I did an experiment once. I was teaching a group of young magicians and the trick that I used to demonstrate misdirection was 'The Professor's Nightmare'. I showed them how I did "the dirty work" with my left hand as I looked and reached down to grab the bottom of the longest rope. I made a big deal out of cocking my head, bending at the waist and reaching. They couldn't not look. Even when they tried, after I told them what was happening, they had to fight to not look down. So misdirection works. Or better yet, direction. I created a desire to look down, so I directed their attention.

Another thing that I've noticed on difficult sleights is the performer tenses up. There is almost a tendency to "look guilty". If that's the case, relax. When you relax, they tend to also.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
I think any of the above...
Many could make the mistake of practising their approach to doing a move alongside patter in a very rigid way.

When it may be helpful to adapt your timing to the live situation .i.e. wait for the offbeat to happen.

So I guess if looking at some of what has been written already, it would be about willing to wait for the rest?

I wouldn't be afraid to wait,and keep waiting for that sweet moment to do the top change for example. There's no need to rush. Beef up your presentation, develop your patter, slow down.
As time passed, heat cools off.
You will feel and seem like a much more natural and confident performer too.

So any of your options may apply,as they in that particular case may be the fitting time.
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, landmark wrote:
You are about to perform a sleight that is not invisible--say a top change or a pass.

You tell a joke. The audience responds.

Do you perform the sleight

a. as you say the punchline
b. as the audience responds
c. after the audience responds
d. none of the above
e. I'm framing the question incorrectly

I would go with d) although the rest is not necessarily wrong. When you tell a joke for example and people laugh, you should, according to Tommy Wonder, execute the move as late in the laugh as possible. If you do your move to early, the audience might be interrupted in their laugh catching your move. So you have to wait, until the laugh is almost! over.

As it is for me, I create the Offbeats not by lines or jokes, but by integrating the "moves" into my natural way of behavior and by moving my hands naturally while talking, making gestions towards a spectator and so on. Also, I have absolutely no attention to the secret move I have to do. My attention is to the move or the natural behavior I want the spectators to see.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Play with various ways, see what works best.
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
I agree with others when they say that it may well be different vin different situations, and so each instance should be assessed, so as not to blindly do the same each time.

I also agree that not all offbeat is created by patter or jokes.

But in the example you give, I'm inclined to go with 'when the audience responds'.

Funny moments are about tension and release, and so the release comes when they respond i.e. laugh. It is in this moment that they are no longer focused on what they were focused on before.

The idea of tension and release is good to think about for offbeat moments in general.
As an offbeat can be in-between phases, or after a moment of magic too. Again, another 'release'
KevinWisch
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of KevinWisch

Description From Youtube:
This audio clip was recorded at Tony Slydini's Studio of Magic in NYC on January 16, 1974. Tony is instructing me on the basic "tense" and "relax" positions in his philosophy on timing and misdirection techniques.

The key to Slydini's whole timing techniques is having a slight hesitation after the "tense" (shoot) position. That gives a natural drop of the hands to the table, otherwise the drop of the hands happens too fast. This is why Tony's magic is so deceptive; everything looks natural and as it should look to the spectator. You will hear him discuss how I, at first, bring the hands up too high. At the end, Tony says the following about my learning: “You must have saw already something about my magic. You went the right way some they do, they don't do at all, they try to do but then nothing.” I was so proud to hear him say that when I reviewed the footage.

This clip represents just 1.5minutes of footage of over 38 hours of audio lessons that Slydini allowed me to take during my time spent studying with him. Please "like" and "share" this, and subscribe to my Youtube channel if you want me to share more of these priceless clips publicly on Youtube for all to enjoy.

In addition, you might want to check out the Bill Wisch "Timing Techniques System", available at https://www.billwisch.com/store My father created an entire system of instruction utilizing the "beat" and the "off-beat". He showed this system to Tony, and Tony loved it. It has been lauded by many in the magic community as the quickest, simplest and most practical method ever devised for learning sleight-of-hand

Audio Clip Copyright Bill Wisch and Wisch-Craft Productions 2020
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Hi landmark,

Check out David Regal's non-obvious approach in executing the sleight under ephemeral concealment in these two trailers.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's very clever. I've seen Regal do that a lot, but I always assumed something else was going on. No wonder I couldn't duplicate it. That's really clever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Offbeat (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL