The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Repair Lassen Gravity Flipper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Trying to repair what I now confirmed is a LassenGravity Flipper. Very frustrated as even if I can get (after a dozen tries) the two pieces connected with the band - they are too loose and wobbly. Perhaps I am using the wrong size 3/16 ortho bands. I do see on an email search that he did send me some bands several years ago. Would anyone happen to know exactly what size / strengthI need? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
If I may suggest, switch over to “stretch magic” jewelry cord. It’s what is used in all modern flippers. The cording makes it so you can set the tension AND it will not break for a very very very long time.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Thank you. Where would I find this ?
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
I had problems with the stretch magic knot fitting in the groove due to Todd's tolerances.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Jxb1989

May I ask have you had luck with this chord specifically on Lassen flipper?
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra That’s where I learned from. Yes, specifically on an old Lassen flipper with the groove on the outside. Since then I’ve converted cig coins, new flippers (Schoolcraft, tango, and Johnson) and even use it on my quarter flippers. I forget the original users name who posted it, but I believe it was inigmntoya where I found the how to manual. Kries magic was my first flipper I bought retail that came with this style thread about 8 years ago.
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Thank you all.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of magojose|
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of towledge
Thank you. This uses the elastic chord I assume mentioned above?

For now I’m good. A friend actually was able to repair it at my local magic club meeting with a rubber band. He’s a working pro and is always prepared for emergencies.

If using rubber bands though does anyone know where to buy for a Lassen gravity flipper? As mentioned 3/16 in bands from my local dentist were to loose.

Bill
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of magojose|
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2020, towledge wrote:
Thank you. This uses the elastic chord I assume mentioned above?

For now I’m good. A friend actually was able to repair it at my local magic club meeting with a rubber band. He’s a working pro and is always prepared for emergencies.

If using rubber bands though does anyone know where to buy for a Lassen gravity flipper? As mentioned 3/16 in bands from my local dentist were to loose.

Bill


You should ask at any local dental supply store for Orthodontics elastic bands, I think they should be 1/16 strenght (don't remember right now the exact tension that you need, but it's different for half or dollar size)
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1242 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi I had the same problem with a different size band. I just folded it, and doubled it and it works great. Also, put a little bit of
a light cooking oil on a band. It makes them last longer. The stretchy elastic cord sounds like a great idea,..... until you try it. Too much hassle to tie it and get it right and so on for me. My rubber bands last a long long time.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2034 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, Jxb1989 wrote:
Https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra That’s where I learned from. Yes, specifically on an old Lassen flipper with the groove on the outside. Since then I’ve converted cig coins, new flippers (Schoolcraft, tango, and Johnson) and even use it on my quarter flippers. I forget the original users name who posted it, but I believe it was inigmntoya where I found the how to manual. Kries magic was my first flipper I bought retail that came with this style thread about 8 years ago.


Yeah -- that's my write-up.
It's probably time to review it again and edit for anything I've learned since, but the basics are all there.

I threaded up Videoman's Lassen Morgan flipper for him around this time last year - last I heard it's still going strong.
Let me know if you have any questions.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1242 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Another thing. The slots in the coins are cut and when the coin is cut to fol..... it leaves sharp edges at the joint where it will fol.....

If you have a dremel and some tiny tools, you can get in the joint there and round out the sharp edges of the channel. This is probably a major reason why rubber bands break.
Mine last super long with oiling the bands once, and rounding the sharp edges from the joint.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4806 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2020, inigmntoya wrote:


I threaded up Videoman's Lassen Morgan flipper for him around this time last year - last I heard it's still going strong.
Let me know if you have any questions.



Yes, inigmntoya converted my flipper to elastic thread and it still works great. So nice not to have to dig out the rotted rubber band and then spend ridiculous amounts of time getting a new rubber band seated properly with even tension all around.

But since there was no way I would be able to tie a long-lasting knot and set the proper tension with the elastic thread, I sent it off to inigmntoya and he did a fabulous job for a very reasonable price. I am so much happier with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Repair Lassen Gravity Flipper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL