The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trying to Find Larger-sized Metamorpho Spots (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I have tried Google searches, posts to magic sites, etc.

Trying to find source for a larger size, (even a jumbo), good quality Metamorpho Spots.

I see that Abbots carries a larger one, but they have not responded to emails or phone messages.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Lou
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I really like and enjoy performing Metamorpho Spots effect since the 1970's. I wanted a larger version as well over the years, none ever was created. It is simple enough to make one yourself with a coffee can these day. It was the larger spotted silks was the problem. That has been solved by the India spotted silks in black and white, and white and black spotted silks that have been on the market for the last few years. They come in 18 and 24 inch sizes. I believe I got mine from Penguin Magic or Trick Supply.

Some coffee cans come with smooth sides in cardboard, no ridges have to be pressed to strengthen the sides of the can. Makes it easy to put in the gaff, and make the outside spots. Just get a circle punch on Amazon or any of the craft websites. This will allow a large spot as well. Just get some self sticking label sheets. Cover the spots with a smooth transparent tape, like the original effect, so the vanish of the spots is made easy, or come up with your own way of making the spots disappear.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back! I knew that you might come through!

The issue for me is making the holes in the middle of the sheet of cardboard. I will check out the circle punch that you suggest.

Warm regards,
Lou
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I like the earlier version that used a spotted bag rather than a tin can. At the end you turn the bag inside out and show your dog "Spot." It's included in Spellbinder's Dollar Store Magic section - "Tote Bag Change Bag" with lots of other uses for Dollar Store Tote Bags. Make the bag and silks yourself in whatever size you can handle. And unlike a big tin can, the bag version folds flat.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lou, FYI, the original prop used construction paper on the outside of the can, both layers. For a large stage, you should use larger spots then what is on the marketed product.

Yes, the holes on the can can be difficult.

The only other solution would be to buy a Cricket machine that cuts all kinds of different designs from paper. It works with your computer to design the layout. Look it up, it may be a good solution.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Thanks again Bill. I'll look.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lou, if it works great, you can make me a circle sheet.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

I just checked Amazon. It costs about $330 Canadian, or about $275 U.S.

I'll keep looking, but if I can't find a larger Metamorpho Spots, I may buy one and start manufacturing them! Smile

Thanks again!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Wow. You would think this would be offered.

Did a quick check of the archives and only found this reference from a 1975 New Tops.

"DON WIBERG was the M.C. for the show andfor the first act,introduced GEORGE KINNERY (Chalet Magic in Tennessee) with a unique act using effects that displayed spots. A black cane that changed to a white spotted cane, a plastic box that ac-quired orange spots then changed to green spots, silks that not only changed spots but lost their spots and a black parasol that became spotted magically. He closed with a super size jumbo Meta-morpho Spot can which during his show served as a table piece. A nice show that brought fun and a good idea of what can be done with a little work and routining. An act that was enjoyed by the lay audience as well as the ma-gicians."
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Thanks Frank! Interesting journey. I will probably need to make my own!

Lou
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Question: It looks like I will need to make my own. The biggest expense will be to either purchase a digital cutter that can do this, or go to a printer who can do it for me.

Would anyone else be interested in purchasing these if I were to make them? I imagine that they would be in the $75 range. I would line the interior with black felt or velvet.

Thoughts?
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2020, illusions & reality wrote:
Question: It looks like I will need to make my own. The biggest expense will be to either purchase a digital cutter that can do this, or go to a printer who can do it for me.

Would anyone else be interested in purchasing these if I were to make them? I imagine that they would be in the $75 range. I would line the interior with black felt or velvet.

Thoughts?

Absolutely would like to purchase.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, I searched for 4 hours, looking for a hole punch, can't find any that would work in the middle of a page. So if you have a Harbor Freight store up your way, they sell only one punch set that might work, but you would have to punch one hole at a time.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-pu......547.html

This has the best selection of sizes of any I could find, Not even the cookie and cake hole punches are in these sizes.

Just my opinion, but the 5/8" and 3/4" would be a good size for a larger can, as I suggested. Plus it would match the spots on the silks more closely.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Lou, this might work if you have the patience. I'm assuming you will be using construction paper like the original version. Cut the paper larger than you need and tape it down flat to a piece of wood. Use a power drill with the size bit you want. I'd suggest using a spade bit. Carefully drill the holes in the paper. I experimented with this in two different ways. First I tried drill directly through the paper but found sometimes the paper tears. The second way was to put another thin piece of wood on top of the paper and drill through both the wood and the paper. That seemed to work better.

If you're not familiar with a spade bit, it looks like a 3 tonged fork. The center being a drill and the two ends are sharp cutters. It will make a perfect circle. It's time consuming but may be the only way to get the holes in the center.
Where the magic begins
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Hi Bill & Dave,

I appreciate your suggestions. Actually, I will try going to a place that does laser cutting of vinyl signs. They work from a digital program, and I should be able to design any pattern and size of holes that I want.

If That doesn't work, I will be trying your recommendations.

Should it work, I promise to send pictures!

Lou
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Update - I am getting bids on making the outer sleeve laser-cut from Matte Black Vinyl. The spots are 1/2” in size, to be easier to see from stage.

I am using a coffee can for the base.

I am trying a different method than the outer sleeve going up and down to vanish the spots. I am excited about how this will work in theory - but won’t be able to test until I actually get the sleeve made.

Again, pictures will be shared on completion.

Lou
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
I am trying a different method than the outer sleeve going up and down to vanish the spots. I am excited about how this will work in theory - but won’t be able to test until I actually get the sleeve made

Lou, if the holes are spaced correctly, you could make the sleeve turn rather than going up and down. Just a thought.
Where the magic begins
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

That’s exactly how I’m making it. Already being cut at laser place. Thanks Dave.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, illusions & reality wrote:
That’s exactly how I’m making it. Already being cut at laser place. Thanks Dave.

Is it possible to get an update on your progress?

What did you find worked for you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trying to Find Larger-sized Metamorpho Spots (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL