The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Vernon Wand Spin Learning Meltdown (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
So I’ve been practicing the VWS and was having a heck of a time with the actual vanish. The wand always seemed in an awkward position. I learned the spin from the Michael Ammar’ DVD. In it he says the fingers begin and end in the same position. Well , that’s not exactly true. When the business takes place, the wand actually does another half rotation so your palm is facing down- Wand in fist and tip facing the hand supposedly holding the ball. Wonder why Ammar didn’t explain to add the extra rotation?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I too learned the spin from that DVD - technically what he's saying is true. The fingers do begin and end in the same position regarding the actual vanish, however that additional spin at the end is really for show. The vanish itself doesn't require that part, though admittedly it looks better.
I've been doing the spin for years in my routine. It's a matter of turning the wrist down once you've caught the ball. I do the whole thing as I turn my body to gesture to the right hand, so those combined motions provide plenty of cover.
It's a tricky move but SO worth it once you've got it. Keep at it!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Great points. Thanks Andrew!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Andrew for being so helpful to this user. It is rare posts like yours that are the best contributions on the M.C.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Can't resist.

I remember Bob Read doing it and getting the wand to finish by spinning around his upturned thumb.

P
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I’m learning the move from the same DVD. I really want to get it perfect, are there any other resources that any one knows of to learn that specific move?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Brian Watson put out an very good book on this.
You may want to contact him, he is a member here.
"But there isn't a door"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In David Regal's excellent version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_km0-c-n2g

he uses a wand spin. He explains it on his More Tricks video.

His explanation was very good, it filled in a lot of the gaps from some other explanations I had read and seen.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Landmark:

Thanks for posting this.....

David Regal does an OUTSTANDING cups and balls routine here.....and he should be very, VERY proud of it!
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Hey Icantsleep.....Thanks for starting this thread, because of all the time stuck at home I had a list of things to start working on and after reading this I've moved the wand spin/vanish to the top of the list!. I've been working on it for about a week and I happily have the wand spin down!......The vanish is another story, but that's slowly coming along, More practice to come. So far I've dropped the ball on the floor, a few times into my pouch, a few onto the table, and then there is the wand dropping and once even let the wand get away from me and if I was performing for an audience the poor person to the front left of my table would've gotten poked in the eye! Yup much more practice to come. I have been using the book and DVD of Ammar's complete cups and balls, it's got good detail and is a good resource and worked for me.
Keep up the spinning!!!!!
Bruce
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I plan on Starting work on the wand spin vanish, the strike vanish, & of course more work on my Cups and Balls routine as a whole this weekend. Any advice on any of it (either vanish or just the C&B)? I have both of the Michael Ammar DVD’s, I have all 3 of the DVDs by Darryl ( Essentials in Magic Cups and Balls, & Master Course Cups and Balls Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 ) as well as the bob white DVD & the Jamy Ian Swiss A Masterclass in the Cups & Balls - DVD. I usually learn better from Video but I’m not out right opposed to written material if some one has a suggestion on something that they think will Be a real game changer.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Great resource list and I'm sure you'll find most of the same info in each other than presentation differences. I always approached the C&B by learning the moves first, loading, displaying cups empty, holding out, different moves with stacks of cups etc and then I learned the basic routine I think it was Vernon's and then worked to come up with my own routine, that's the part that took some time. But once you have the moves and process, (the vocabulary) then you can work on your own routine (the language)
that's how I did it.....
Bruce
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
May I suggest practicing over a bed or a sofa but facing a mirror (at a safe distance of course). I learned that here at the Café and it helped me achieve the spin. Also, make sure you have a good grip on the wand. Ammar’s rubber covered Mercury is great for that. Otherwise use Kwik Grip on your hands and maybe coat a bit on the wand. My 2 Centavos.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Vernon Wand Spin Learning Meltdown (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL