The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How to keep copper cups shiny? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1867 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Any tips to keep the copper polished cups shiny?

I had a set. And it seems it lost its shine quite fast.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Many people prefer copper to age a bit on their own, but to keep them shiny and new you may want to try a product called Nevr-Dull. The can includes disposable wipes so it is very easy to use. Another option is something like Wright's Copper Cream. That stuff will restore your cups to practically the brand new state but it is slightly more of a hassle to me. With the exception of trying to remove a stubborn stain or something like the inside of the Penguin cups, I typically just let them age.
CopperChopCup
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
You can have an automotive clear coat applied to freshly polished cups so they won’t oxidize.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Why would you want to do such a horrible thing? A shiny cup reflects the ball in your hand.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of BCS
Alex... clean them good with Flitz or something similar, then polish them with some automotive wax. That will keep them shiny for a good while.

Take care,
Bruce
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1867 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Hi Bruce.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate!

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
751 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Careful if you are polishing PLATED cups, some cleaners, like Brasso, can strip off the plating.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the most durable finishes for copper cups is Renaissance Wax. You can get it from woodworking shops. Just google it. It is not cheap, but it lasts well.

However, I would recommend that you allow the cups to develop a patina before you polish them. It will minimize the reflections in the cup surfaces if you do so.

I do remember this -- Johnny Ace Palmer told me that he polishes his cups before every engagement, as part of his "ritual."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How to keep copper cups shiny? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL