The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Counterfeit Spellbound (Nano Coins) - Tommy Wonder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. But I got some recent inspiration from currently reading The Jerx, and then finding an old video of my experiments with Counterfeit Spellbound by Tommy Wonder.

So I came up with a new sequence, and would be interested by your thoughts:

https://youtu.be/X1beSy9WyiY

I have since reread the section on the routine by Wonder himself, and realised that I was directly disobeying his advice on not abusing a certain principle. I kind of agree with him in a lot of ways, but I think I counter the issue in other ways. I would be very interested to hear what others think of this idea.
I've only played with the idea for a few days, so the presentation is still in progress. What do people think about calling them gimmicked coins from the start, but hopefully getting them to question what that even means by the end?

Thanks,
David Fillary
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1796 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The routine is a real fooler. Good work. I know you haven't worked out the presentation yet, but being American, I sometimes have difficulty understanding someone who speaks with an English accent. I think it would be good to work on articulating your words a little better. A minor point, I know, but nothing is too small when attempting to perfect our tricks.

The idea of claiming the coins are gimmicked is interesting. When doing copper/silver in the spectator's hand, I have been accused of using "heat-sensitive" coins. Now, when I do the trick, I point out to everyone that the coins have different designs on each side so they don't think the coins are gimmicked in that way.

Spectators will grasp for anything that might explain what they have just seen or witnessed. That's why many times they will simply say, "It went up his sleeve," even though that couldn't possibly be a true explanation. To them, it satisfies their need for one. So I think that telling spectators you are using gimmicked coins may give them an explanation they can hang on to, even though it's false, and therefore detract from the magic.

To sum up, I think saying the coins are gimmicked is not a good idea.

But the trick is great. Your handling is superb.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8564 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Very nice, David. Smile Very proud of your efforts all along the way my friend. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4827 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Hope to see this on Aaron Fisher's CC? Have not seen you present any coin stuff for a while. Do you still work for them (or however that works)? They don't do much coin stuff so yours were always a nice break and we'll taught.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Nice and fresh. Very good thinking. This is what coin magic should look like! Congrats!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Counterfeit Spellbound (Nano Coins) - Tommy Wonder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL