The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lippencott box question (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Hello everyone,
You can see by my posts I'm a newbie and learning valuable info on this forum all the time.
I'm wondering about Lippencott boxes...is that just the person who invented it?
I'm looking for a locked box to have a coin or ring end up in after vanishing it.
Is there one that you'd suggest over another for quality.
After doing some research I'm a bit confused if they all do the "same thing".
Thank you
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
As Spellbinder describes in his e-Book "The X-Box" (Mini-Mysteries Book 4-07) the Lippencott box is a variation of the "Watch Box" described in Professor Hoffmann's 1876 book "Modern Magic." Then he proceeds to show you how to perform the same trick with any ordinary locking wooden box from any craft shop or Dollar Store for a lot less money. So you're right, all wooden boxes can be made to "do the same thing." The difference is how much you are willing to pay for one. His premise is that if you have the skills needed to make a coin or a ring (watch, wallet, i-phone, etc.) disappear, those same skills can be used to make it reappear in any bag, box, or container of your choice.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey bobinsdakota... The Lippencott Box is a great piece of apparatus. If you are going to invest in one make sure to get a good one, the quality of the boxes out there vary greatly.

Something you might want to investigate that you can make and in my opinion shows just as well is The Coin in the Ball of Wool which can be found in many magic books (check out one of the many versions of the Mark Wilson books). Many years ago I had a neighbor kid make the gimmick for me in his high school shop class. He made it out of metal and I have had it for 40 years or so.

Good luck... take care,
Bruce
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi bobinsdakota!
The Lippencott box is a classic prop for good reason. It's innocent looking and does not look like a magic prop. It's versatile, small, and resets in seconds.

I think a good model is Viking's version, which now includes a built in bonus for even more routines. Viking's been around for awhile, and their props are made well for the modest investment:
https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/quarter-go-magnetic

The routine described here kills. Rather than vanishing the coin and simply producing a locked box with the coin inside, the retention by the spectator in this presentation leads the audience to believe that the coin has never left the volunteer's possession until the very moment the coin travels to the locked box. I don't believe the kit comes with the handkerchief, but this one will do the trick; https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/ring-vanishing-hank or you can make your own.

You cannot lose with the purchase of a Lippencott box. And, quite frankly, one doesn't see these classic props used much anymore, so you will most likely stir up some immediate interest with your performance.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
Thank you everyone for the responses.
That's exactly what I was looking for!
Bob
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Yes... I agree with Oz, the Viking is a good box and the retention vanish is the way to go.

The box I have is from Milson Worth... it was called Quarter Go. Unlike the a Viking handkerchief... mine came with a white handkerchief with a quarter attached by a string. This allows the spectacular to hold the quarter under the handkerchief and drop it into a glass with an audible clink. When the magician whisks the handkerchief away the coin is gone.

Back in the 70s I paid around $20 for the box... the box is made of walnut with an oiled finish. It still looks beautiful after all these years. The quarter is dated 1963.

Take care,
Bruce
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
I decided to go with the Viking Quarter-Go box magnetic version.
I'm very excited to add this to my vanishing coin routine.
Thanks for all responses and advice....love this forum!

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lippencott box question (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL