The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Opus by Garrett Thomas (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
So then you cannot do what is shown in the trailer? Or am I confused about Banded? From :58-1:01 of the sales trailer looks like Banded. Can you do the effect specifically from :58-1:01 of the sales trailer with what you get with opus only?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2020, jljones83 wrote:
So then you cannot do what is shown in the trailer? Or am I confused about Banded? From :58-1:01 of the sales trailer looks like Banded. Can you do the effect specifically from :58-1:01 of the sales trailer with what you get with opus only?

I'm pretty sure the Opus project has additional ideas for Banded but it does not come with the Banded gimmick. The actual ring with Opus appears to be a match with the Banded ring though.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2020, jljones83 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Opus project has additional ideas for Banded but it does not come with the Banded gimmick. The actual ring with Opus appears to be a match with the Banded ring though.

Showing the Banded effect was perhaps an oversight in editing the trailer. In the 5-minute OPUS discussion video posted on Page 1, Garrett does state that OPUS was designed to match the look of the Banded gimmick. You cannot perform Banded with OPUS alone.
But OPUS does come with the same gimmick as his other effect, Profile/Skewer (just in the style of the OPUS “coin”).
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
Also, I got confirmation that the effect I was asking about is NOT performed with the banded gimmick. It may not be taught it Opus, but it was not performed with a different gimmick than included.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
There are ring through finger effects with ungimmicked rings of course. I don’t remember but one may have been taught on banded. I don’t have this new project yet
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, jljones83 wrote:
Also, I got confirmation that the effect I was asking about is NOT performed with the banded gimmick. It may not be taught it Opus, but it was not performed with a different gimmick than included.

Okay, sorry to add to the confusion. I was almost positive the effect shown at 0:58-1:03 in the trailer was the last penetration of Banded.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
For sizing. Should we order the ring one size larger or two sizes larger?
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
597 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I wear a (US) size 10 on my index finger and ordered the 20mm ring. Based on what Garrett mentioned on the live stream he did with Luke Dancy and Murphy's, you want to be able to slide the ring off with one hand, but not so big it flies off your finger unexpectedly. This site might help you decide what ring to go with https://www.brilliance.com/ring-size-conversion-chart
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Thank you
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:

I'm confused by your comments. Banded consists of 2 things. The banded gimmick and the matching non-gimmicked ring. Opus uses this same non-gimmick ring effect thus you can incorporate the Banded effect and gimmick since the rings all match. There's probably going to be ideas for Banded in Opus in terms of routining and choreography for getting into from or to Opus from/to Banded but you still need to own Banded to learn and do the Banded main effect (since you will need the gimmick).
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:

I'm confused by your comments. Banded consists of 2 things. The banded gimmick and the matching non-gimmicked ring. Opus uses this same non-gimmick ring effect thus you can incorporate the Banded effect and gimmick since the rings all match. There's probably going to be ideas for Banded in Opus in terms of routining and choreography for getting into from or to Opus from/to Banded but you still need to own Banded to learn and do the Banded main effect (since you will need the gimmick).

You're probably confused by my comments because I was very confused when I was commenting. I am not familiar with how Banded works, but I know of the effect. When watching the trailer for Opus, there is a part where a portion of the Banded routine is shown (0:58-1:01). Titanas said "Opus gimmicks can be done with Garrett's Ring Thing and Banded effects as well. " and that confused me, because I saw part of the Banded routine.

I was informed by someone via email (If they want to say here they can, but I don't want to put out private emails with names) that "Banded uses a gimmick however that move is not the gimmick. [...] That section of Banded is non-gimmicked. I do not believe that its taught in OPUS."

Sorry if I added to the confusion.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2020, jljones83 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:

You're probably confused by my comments because I was very confused when I was commenting. I am not familiar with how Banded works, but I know of the effect. When watching the trailer for Opus, there is a part where a portion of the Banded routine is shown (0:58-1:01). Titanas said "Opus gimmicks can be done with Garrett's Ring Thing and Banded effects as well. " and that confused me, because I saw part of the Banded routine.

I was informed by someone via email (If they want to say here they can, but I don't want to put out private emails with names) that "Banded uses a gimmick however that move is not the gimmick. [...] That section of Banded is non-gimmicked. I do not believe that its taught in OPUS."

Sorry if I added to the confusion.

Ha ha ha, all good Smile
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Does the coin gimmick aperture size vary along with the ring size - or is it standard sized throughout all versions.
I ask because my gimmick from Garrett's "Skewer" is too big for my finger, and I don't want $100 worth of a similar issue.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2020, Obviously wrote:
Does the coin gimmick aperture size vary along with the ring size - or is it standard sized throughout all versions.
I ask because my gimmick from Garrett's "Skewer" is too big for my finger, and I don't want $100 worth of a similar issue.

The skewer gimmick is roughly the size of the hole in a karate coin. You basically use it as a karate coin. They are all the same size.
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2020, trickyat86 wrote:
Ad copy says to pick a size slightly larger than what you normally wear. Would this be a half or whole size? For example, I wear a US size 10 on my index finger, so would I want to go to the equivalent to a 10.5 or 11 size?

I went up a full size and wear it on my index finger. You will also notice a slight difference as the seasons change. Regards, Byron
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
There's an ungimmicked method taught in Banded, but the piece of the trailer everybody is talking about is not it.

I mean, there's a small cut in there, so it could be, but it would be a weird way to do it.

The ring goes all the way down to the base of the finger, visibly, and then is pulled onto the little finger. That's Banded, and that's gimmicked, and that cannot be done with the Opus set.

If people want to correct me they can drop me a PM and I'll happily recant, but I have both (and perform parts of both) and I'm 99.9% sure.
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
A followup - the teaching here by Garrett is excellent. If you don't do a bunch of ring/coin stuff already then this is a masterclass, and if you do then you'll still find plenty of nuance along the way.

Only small issue is that within a couple of days the rings no longer match between Opus and Banded. They're visibly different - the Opus one has gained a quite lovely dark patina.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well the thing is I produced it....so that makes it bullet proof...email me and I will take care of you
kozmomagic@me.com
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
You're not wrong, that's as fast a turnaround as is humanly possible. Thanks Kozmo.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
You're welcome... I sent you 2....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Opus by Garrett Thomas (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL