The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Simple Street Table 🎩 (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Hello fellas,

I'm after a simple portable table (outside of the magic shop variety) for cards, coins, a cup, book nothing overly heavy. Steardiness is important though.

So far I've found a couple which could do the trick but would like to know if anyone has had experience with:

- Percussion table https://derringers.com.au/xtreme-heavy-d......e-tdk418

- Laptop/projector table https://www.amazon.com.au/Pyle-Projector......8&sr=8-7
-
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I'm a big fan of this. https://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fi......2#TA9521

It's strong and sturdy and lock I to position well. I like it because I use my case as a table top. My show fits in the case that fits in shoulder bag which the table legs fit on top and held in place with the flap of the bag.

Hope this helps take care!
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I also meant to say really check the steadiness of those table's. I'm worried they migth tilt easily.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
The whole 'Which Table' is dependent on what and where you use it.

If you are performing locally and mostly a table show - than something more sturdy and maybe heavier works. Waiter X stand with table is fine.

The Tripod that everyone suggests here is fine if you are only using the table as a 3rd hand. They are not sturdy enough to hang your bag or props off of.
Plus anything more aggresive on top of the table like a 3 cup routine or slamming coins down....the tables are flimsy.

Speed Table Pro makes a great table for the street. Awesome! But many peope here might not want to invest that much money for something they only use occasionally.

The tripods out there work to a degree. I've modified and used a few myself. But they all have serious limitation when it come to sturdiness and stability.

If you are doing a serious street show where the table is part of your stage...then you need a sturdy but lite X stand with table on top.

If you are doing mostly other tricks such as Strait Jacket and the table is only for a couple card or coin tricks,,,,then the tripod might be fine.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Finding a level spot on the street is an issue. From a lot of experience, I vote for legs that can be adjusted as to length.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Thank you Yellowcustard, Zauberman and Yoder for your thoughts
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I swear by this thing on a regular basis. I need to cover it with a relatively inexpensive tablecloth, but it's light, stable, sets up in seconds, and is nigh-indestructible:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072X4......F8&psc=1
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
GMcAlpin
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of GMcAlpin
I just got a completely beautiful table made by Josh and Rochelle Thompson ( rochelle@luckyyouorganizing.com ). I'll post pictures soon. You might want to contact them. They worked with my budget and did an outstanding job.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
I have a table fetish... I think!

I am always trying to build the best table for my act. Currently, the table I've been using for over a year is a briefcase that I mount on a folding stand. The stand fits inside of the briefcase, along with the rest of my act. I used to use a tray jack with an 18x20 piece of plywood covered with a piece of fabric. While I liked that table and used it for years, its just easier to transport the act, inside of the briefcase table.

My suggestion is to make your own table, based on your specific needs.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Welcome any pictures you have as it helps us all

thank you Rook, McAlpin and Vandecarr for your advices!
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Found these speaker stands https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-2-Adj......LH_All=1

They look pretty sturdy all that's needed is to add a plywood top to it. Anyone used these before?
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
I have never used a speaker stand for a table, however, I did use one for making a trick that I use in the end of my stage show. I can say that it is very stable for what I use it for and would assume that, as long as you were not putting to much force on one side or the other, it should work well as a table.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Ive used various tri-pod stands to use as a table support.

This one looks very good and Im sure it will work great

The only possible problem that I can see is the weight. This one looks very solid. I could not find anything showing it's weight.

If you're just making your way to the local pitch, in a car perhaps..... that might not be a problem.

If you are travelling or using transit....you want as little weight and bulk as possible.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Thanks for the valuable input.
It weighs 4.8 pounds. My current table is double that and a real challenge to carry so you're right that it matters.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
An easier, cheaper, lighter alternative is the Ammar Performance Table. it is a simple Do-It-Yourself project that takes almost no time. It is a three legged table thus pretty stable under most uneven conditions.
PDF instructions and plans cost about $10.00 USD at: https://store.ammarmagic.com/ammar-perfo......ns1.html
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Harry how tall is the Ammar table?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
About 30 inches. It can be made taller or shorter. The over the counter hardware store legs dictate the hight of the table (legs + thickness of board + hardware = height). However three blocks of wood can add to the height. I'm under tall so 30" works for me.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2020, GMcAlpin wrote:
I just got a completely beautiful table made by Josh and Rochelle Thompson ( rochelle@luckyyouorganizing.com ). I'll post pictures soon. You might want to contact them. They worked with my budget and did an outstanding job.

....any pictures to share?
GMcAlpin
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of GMcAlpin
Hi @magic.99.

I'm sorry to be so slow responding. You can see my table and get the builders' contact information at:
https://www.luckyyouorganizing.com/magic/table.html

It is a thing of beauty!

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Simple Street Table 🎩 (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL