The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Catch - Marcus Eddie (Blackpool) (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
CoinBoy101
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of CoinBoy101
Just one other thing to say. Vanishing Inc advertise this as requiring "no magnets, elastic (or anything else!) attached to the coin". While this is true for the majority of the effects shown in the advertising video, there is one vanish for which this is not the case and it does require something attached to the coin.

I do wonder whether Vanishing should be more accurate in their wording. However, as the vast majority of effects do not require any kinds of attachments, magnet etc, I think it's fair comment by them. The one vanish which uses an attachment is not one I would use in the real world, which is acknowledged in the tutorial. For video it looks great, but the setup makes it impractical for me in live situations.

Don't be put off by the above. The vast majority of what can be done is simply with a coin and the gimmick, which looks easy to use. I'll update when I receive the gimmick in a few days' time but I'm highly confident this gimmick will work well.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Interesting. It says Catch by Vanishing Inc now.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Great review. I've actually been toying around with creating a gimmick like this for years but never did. Oh well. I don't think it would have been nearly as good as this looks from the instructional download. I just may have to start wearing a watch again.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
Looks great. I am curious about the exact dimensions of the gimmick. Just viewing the official video, I can see some flashing. I would think a wide band would work better, or not. I have a watch band that is very wide, 1.25", like a cuff really. Just wondering if this gimmick will work with such. Thanks for any details on sizing. -JP
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The thing is I never wear a watch and I only perform smartly dressed so I do the the same thing by sleeving. I just borrow or use a UK 10p that are made with a steel core and have a sweat band with a magnet built in just before my elbow. That gives me 2 options vanish as per the demo or fake pretend to pull on the sleeve holding the coin (indicating subconsciously nothing up my sleeve) French drop then immediately fake pull on the other sleeve now holding the coin which in the process holds out the coin on the back of my sleeve. Although this looks a clever gadget to me there is only one place the coin can be under a great big f..c. o.f contraption under your watch.
Sure looks interesting but I doubt many pros will use this in the real world as vanishing a singular coin is bread and butter stuff and normally just a small part of the bigger routine imo Gaz 😊
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
My only concern: does it make sense to put a gimmick on a spot that laymen would normally point to at first after a coin has vanished when wearing a watch?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Can it vanish just a quarter shell or is it too light?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:
My only concern: does it make sense to put a gimmick on a spot that laymen would normally point to at first after a coin has vanished when wearing a watch?

Good point. I think, as with all vanishes (all palms, sleeving, TTs, my own blackout coins) it's best to either do a transposition or reproduce the coin without too much of a delay. No matter how clean you are, you never want people looking you up and down asking 'where did it go?' The signed coin to pocket is brilliant. Regarding the question of the gimmick flashing (it does) but way you show your hands the very subtly exposed gimmick isn't seen.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The thing is I never wear a watch and I only perform smartly dressed so I do the the same thing by sleeving. I just borrow or use a UK 10p that are made with a steel core and have a sweat band with a magnet built in just before my elbow. That gives me 2 options vanish as per the demo or fake pretend to pull on the sleeve holding the coin (indicating subconsciously nothing up my sleeve) French drop then immediately fake pull on the other sleeve now holding the coin which in the process holds out the coin on the back of my sleeve. Although this looks a clever gadget to me there is only one place the coin can be under a great big f..c. o.f contraption under your watch.
Sure looks interesting but I doubt many pros will use this in the real world as vanishing a singular coin is bread and butter stuff and normally just a small part of the bigger routine imo Gaz 😊

I think you're right. I look at this a bit like fickle nickel. in the long run, probably not worth the effort, especially if you don't normally wear a watch. But it does look pretty *** good. A hair cleaner than the vanish of single coin using pure sleight of hand.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Already out of stock.
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, Newb2 wrote:
Already out of stock.

seems to be in stock at https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
86 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
When the coin is vanished, are there any restrictions to hand motion? Could I, for example, do the vanish, go on to do something else, and then reproduce the coin? Is there a risk of it falling out?
CoinBoy101
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of CoinBoy101
Quote:
On May 28, 2021, michaelpenkul wrote:
When the coin is vanished, are there any restrictions to hand motion? Could I, for example, do the vanish, go on to do something else, and then reproduce the coin? Is there a risk of it falling out?

Yes, there is a restriction. It's certainly possible to do something else but you would have to be mindful of a specific hand/arm movement which would release the coin
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
The way he shows his hands empty looks pretty much like the way you show your empty hands after a watch vanish.
McIntyreMagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn, NY
88 Posts

Profile of McIntyreMagic
Is it possible to take the watch off w/o revealing the gimmick or quickly palm it off? I wear a Turner Watch and love the look of this, but want to make sure that I could still perform the Turner effect with this added on.
Thanks
John McIntyre
My website: http://mcintyremagic.com
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Yes you can still perform the TW effect. The gimmick just slips under your watch.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On May 28, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
Yes you can still perform the TW effect. The gimmick just slips under your watch.

In order to use the TW you need to take it off your wrist, so the question is how easy will it be to take your watch on and off with this thing hiding under the band.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I was wondering why this looked so familiar. I actually release a version of this vanish through the magic estate in 2014. Coin through nose with Tyler. ( not a plug ) Joshua jay also has something from penguin way back with “corner” I believe. ( also uncredited ) The gimmick for Catch is too bulky for my liking. That’s probably because I’m use to a much thinner gimmick ( that I created back in 2010 ) As for the restrictions on the Catch gimmick. The mouth is too wide IMO. Causing the coin to fall out when putting your arm down in a normal position. There is absolutely a way to prevent this from happening and you can move your arm freely without fear of the coin falling out also retrieving it at any time. I know. I know. My post may come off as a bit bias. It is. Because I’ve been performing this vanish for over 10 years and I have a lot of pride and experience with this Specific style of vanish.
The gimmick itself is pretty cool but, just prefer to have more control. Which is why I’m sticking to what I’ve been using.

Marcus Eddie has my upmost respect. The man has created so many necessary effects and added a great wealth of knowledge to our community. He also has the greatest smile 😊 in the magic industry.

Just my 2 cents
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 30, 2021, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:

Marcus Eddie...has the greatest smile 😊 in the magic industry.

Certainly can’t argue about Marcus’s smile. Talk about being able to light up a room!
That is no doubt his superpower.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Catch - Marcus Eddie (Blackpool) (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL