The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » REVIEW: Modern Mind Reading Magic by Zee J. Yan and SansMinds Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
REVIEW: Modern Mind Reading Magic by Zee J. Yan and SansMinds Magic
RATING: 4.5 out of 10
LINK TO REVIEW: http://straighttalkmagicreviews.com/?p=1877
PRICE: $30

The Modern Mind Reading Magic (MMRM) dvd by Zee and SansMinds presents 10 mentalism effects that use your cell phone, a pad a papers, a pack of gum, business cards and your own wallet. Zee presents 10 effects for $30 and SansMinds labeled a “Worker Series” project in an hour and twenty five minute dvd.

Unfortunately, I do not think this dvd is a compilation of workers and for the most part there is nothing new in here. When I review magic or mentalism products, I take many factors into account and come up with a rating. Many times the rating is personal to me. Would I perform these tricks? Do I think there is anything new here? Can I recommend that you spend your hard earned cash on this project? The answer to there questions is all “no”.

Other than a few moments when Zee is clearly being told what to say on camera, the production value is very good, except for a few shots where Zee if trying to show you something on white paper against a white backdrop which makes it impossible to see what is being shown.

To be honest, I think that this project is mislabeled and should have been called the “Hobbyist Series”. I do think that some of these tricks are great for sitting around with friends, but not working tables or close-up. To give an overview, the first trick, Apple Watch, with an iPhone I would have rated a 3 out of 10 and would never use it. I don’t think the effect is worthwhile or stunning in any way. I also do not care for the iBillet trick which seems a bit too fumbly and I don’t care for the presentation. The next two tricks, Bunny Star and Hello Bunny too are very basic peeks and there are so many better alternatives that I cannot get behind these either.

Breath Mint is too risky for anyone to perform and even Zee indicated that he has issues with this trick. I am staying far away from this one as it will not hit at least 50% of the time. College Tuition is a nice card trick, but nothing outrageously amazing. The Gum Peek is an old mentalism peek applied to a pack of gum in which a thought of word is written on a piece of gum and then inserted back into the pack. Pass on that one for me.

The $1000 Peek Wallet is nothing new and quite honestly, I don’t really know how some of these tricks get passed off as a new compilation. I am more frustrated by this than anything.

The best effect on the dvd is the Perfect Mental Epic in which the performer write a few prediction down on pieces of paper in a spiral notebook. Our of everything presented, this is the one trick that I would consider performing, if I would be willing to carry around a small spiral notebook. But, I am not going to perform this trick because there are so many other ways of accomplishing the same trick. And, a portion of this trick relies upon an app that you need to download.

Finally, and not in any order, 1818 is a really risky trick that is almost guaranteed to fail. I don’t care what Zee says, but this is a big loser and he offers no out! I like the idea, but I am staying far away from this baby.

Below is only a select portion of the ad-copy so you can see SansMinds own description of the various routines.

What you will learn:

Gum Peek (Exclusive content for DVD Format only) - Use a gum pack as a device. Technically a 50-cent peek device!

$1000 Peek Wallet (Exclusive content for DVD Format only) - Thanks to all those peek wallet makers for making awful-looking, unstylish wallets which pushed me to come up with this

Apple Watch -An incredible multi-phase mind-reading routine. (No, you do not need an Apple watch to perform it)

Breath Mint -100% Magician fooler

iBillet - Using any phone as a peek device!

College Tuition - Casually demonstrate the nearly impossible possibility

Bunny Star - Psychometry with a kicker ending.

Hello Bunny - A few pieces of paper and a pen is all that's needed to trigger a heart-warming emotion.

1818 - Inspired by Seances with slates performed by psychics back in the 20th century

Perfect Mental Epic - Hen Fetsch's Mental Epic on another level

The presentation and explanations are slow and there are no performances to real audiences.

So, I think you catch my drift about this one. I can’t recommend this for workers, but this is something that friends can use to impress their buddies at home on a Saturday night.

I appreciate Murphy’s Magic asking that I review this product and give it my honest review.
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
191 Posts

Profile of Zee
First of all, MMRMZ is promoted as a project of intimate mentalism. Which translates to casual situations.

"In MMRMZ, you will find incredible routines that only use borrowed objects for intimate mentalism performances. "

I like how you are leaving that part out of your review and starting with a biased bash.

-------------------------------------------------

I recently did a lecture tour in Asia, and I have done Breath Mint numerous times during the lecture and when everyone is hanging out, and I have never failed. I mentioned what can make Breath Mint fail, but those are all controllable elements.

Regarding PME. There are so many ways of doing same thing for sure, but there are also better and worse ways to accomplish virtually similar results. I have also shared a way of performing it without an app. Why won't a "straight talk" reviewer mention that part.

At this point, I'm starting to suspect that you rarely perform irl.

I mean, I acknowledge that nothing is groundbreakingly new. Or even brand new. Ad copy already mentions that these materials are work on old principles. I have seen too many people let possibly great things go fly over their heads due to a lack of experience. That is not your fault.

I just want to say that you are a very nice person who has entertained me during this quarantine by successfully triggering me with an ignorant yet somewhat untruthful review.

PS: The iPhone trick that you will never do because it's not worthwhile huh
I bet you to go out and actually do it and checkout reactions. Not to your friends or family but to a crowd of strangers. If you get no reactions or bad reactions due to sxxtiness of the trick itself rather than a terrible performance, then I will personally PayPal you a dollar as an apology. Or is that too risky since I didn't mention what to do if PayPal transaction fails
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
Hey dude, sorry you don't like or agree with my review. It is my own take on the project. Sometimes people have different opinions on the same topic and that is what this forum is for...to discuss. I am sorry that you felt the need to attack me personally because my review was not a personal attack on you, but just my own opinion and feedback. I have nothing against you and think you are quite talented. In fact I have previously given a review of another one of your releases a favorable review. In any event, I wish you great success in the future.
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » REVIEW: Modern Mind Reading Magic by Zee J. Yan and SansMinds Magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL