The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Souvenir penny in bottle - magic trick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vincerock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of vincerock
Hello friends
I am new here, I am looking for the name of a trick, so I can find it for purchase. The effect.... You Take an ordinary bottle the size of a souvenir penny bottle and give it to a spectator then take a penny and magically insert it into that bottle under a handkerchief or something and then the bottle can be examined with the penny in it. Does anybody know the name of this illusion?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4823 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I remember That ! I thank It was called Called Bottled ! or Something Like That ! But I am not sure ! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
vincerock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of vincerock
Thanks do you remember the company that manufatured it? I think it may be sam schwartz the inventer,

and this one uses an empty bottle and a penny sealed in a bottle

I thought of a great routine for this
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1796 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I had one, about 50 years ago. I bought it at Lou Tannen's in NYC. I don't believe, however, that it came with an empty bottle. The idea was that you put a penny into your (supposedly empty) closed fist, and when you opened your hand, the penny was trapped inside a little bottle, which could then be handed out. A problem was handling the bottle with the penny inside silently, without it making a clinking sound, before it was revealed.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4823 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
The one I had was some what like a Hoping Half ! you have A Penney And A Quarter You keep one away and it comes back.At the end you put the Quarter Away And ask what is left in your Hand ? They say the Penney ! And you say but how did it get in the bottle ?
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
199 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I have the same one that Ray Haining describes above and I think I may also have bought it at Tannen's. I still own it but performed it very seldom due to the problem Ray mentions. When you can pull it off though it's a pretty good little effect!
vincerock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of vincerock
Thanks all, great message board to get such fast replies, really appreciate it. I have an Idea for a great routine just need an empty bottle and penny in the same style bottle, put a straw in the bottle with the penny until you want to reveal it, that will keep it from talking Smile
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
199 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Yes mine came with the little straw to hold the penny in but I never used it as there didn't seem to be an ideal moment in the routine to ditch it. I played around with a few different ideas but ended up concluding it was easier to just hold the hand steady once the bottle was in there.
vincerock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of vincerock
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2020, GlennLawrence wrote:
Yes mine came with the little straw to hold the penny in but I never used it as there didn't seem to be an ideal moment in the routine to ditch it. I played around with a few different ideas but ended up concluding it was easier to just hold the hand steady once the bottle was in there.

do you want to sell it? sounds like the I want to use, 1penny in a bottle and 1 empty bottle
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
199 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I don't think it's what you are looking for, this only has 1 bottle with the penny in it. The routine starts out with a quarter and a penny. Penny goes in your pocket as you ask, how much do I have in my hand? When the hand is opened you have 26 cents, the quarter & the penny. You do it again, this time putting the quarter in your pocket and keeping the penny in your hand as you ask, if I got rid of the quarter, what do I have left? They answer "A Penny" and you comment "Yes but how did the penny get in the bottle?" as you open your hand and the penny is seen impossibly contained inside a little bottle.
vincerock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of vincerock
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, GlennLawrence wrote:
I don't think it's what you are looking for, this only has 1 bottle with the penny in it. The routine starts out with a quarter and a penny. Penny goes in your pocket as you ask, how much do I have in my hand? When the hand is opened you have 26 cents, the quarter & the penny. You do it again, this time putting the quarter in your pocket and keeping the penny in your hand as you ask, if I got rid of the quarter, what do I have left? They answer "A Penny" and you comment "Yes but how did the penny get in the bottle?" as you open your hand and the penny is seen impossibly contained inside a little bottle.

yeah that’s not it , I need the empty bottle to LOL thanks anyhow
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
What you are looking for is Sasco's Penny in a Bottle.
You can get the routine and the all important empty bottle at Winkler's Magic Warehouse.

You will have to find the bottle with the penny elsewhere.
This one looks like a good match.

Smile
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Don’t wink by Steven Bender is the original routine. I believe I have one buried somewhere
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3372 Posts

Profile of Julie
I THINK the original version of this routined effect is Bottled! by Sam Schwartz as referenced in Allen Zingg's Magico Magazine's book, The Magic of Sam Schwartz (copyright 2003). Tannen's was the first documented seller of Bottled!.

According to the book "the 'gimmick' was the brainchild of Milbourne Christopher and appeared in Hugard's Magic Monthly (vol.8 #3, page 691) as 'A Change of Value'." This was designed then for more of a Hopping Halves kind of routine.

A much later development is BOTTLED PLUS-(The Elusive Penny). I don't know who originated this upgrade, but the instructions (copyright 2004 by Magico Magazine) includes four bonus effects by George Schindler. The upgrade is two ma------ coins and a little variance in the series of moves as compared to the original handling as supplied by Tannen's. I seem to remember buying this upgrade from Hank Lee.

It's a FUN routine and you can use objects other than the penny in the bottle for a grande finale'.

Julie
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I think Sasco's Penny in a bottle was the only marketed item that used both a penny in bottle and also a matching empty bottle. The others, like Sam Schwartz'z Bottled, only had the penny in bottle, which was used as a gag finish for a routine.

An interesting item, also sold by Sasco, was the "Darwin Coin In Bottle".
I have never actually seen one of these, but the old Sasco catalog descibes is as being a dime to penny, penny in bottle, dime in bottle, and
an empty bottle. The "greatest coin in bottle trick ever invented".

I don't know about it being the greatest, but I can imagine a pretty cool routine that could be done with those items!

Sasco must have had the coins in bottles specifically made for this trick. I've looked, and I can't find anyhere to get an empty bottle, much less a dime in bottle.

And if anyone is interested, if you want to get an empty bottle to match your penny in bottle, you can remove the penny from the bottle like this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Souvenir penny in bottle - magic trick (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL