The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Predict-Tac-Toe by Richard Osterlind presented by Simone Turkington (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Sounds like a good effect. Well, it has to be good, because it was created by Richard Osterlind.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13131

Ad copy:

"It brings me great joy to have tools like this in my back pocket for impromptu situations. This will be particularly effective performing a prediction casually and quickly in a wide variety of situations. Once you learn this tool it will be a fun thing that you will always have and be ready to use." - Paul Draper

Predict-Tac-Toe is a classic prediction effect with a simple game everyone is familiar with. Using what seems like an ordinary game of Tic-Tac-Toe you can predict the future, show a very strong coincidence, or even control the mind of your opponent. Originally created by Richard Osterlind, and now presented by Simone Turkington, this is Predic-Tac-Toe.

Here’s what happens:

You propose a simple game of Tic-Tac-Toe with one of your spectators. You make the first move, and after that your friendly opponent is free to make any move they want. After a spirited game you come to a draw. That’s when you allow them to open an envelope that has been sitting out in the open the entire time. Inside is a photograph with a prediction of the exact outcome of the game. They can keep the photograph and the game, because everything is examinable.

Building off the excellent work of Martin Gardner, Richard Osterlind’s Predict-Tac-Toe takes this mental mystery to a whole new level of impossibility. Easy to do, and requiring no special gimmicks, you can even have the final prediction in your wallet or on your social media. Predict-Tac-Toe is a real winner.
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Where is the substantial adding to the martin gardner routine? osterlind added an envelope (which makes the effect more weak than better)... and???
i do not get it. next will be somebody putting a fake-tattoo into the game... ah, alredy existing. damm... ok, putting a mobile phone into the game and any magic dealer will tell us, that the "trick was taken into 21st century" :-P
hektormagic
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Hmm... The effect is good but was known from years... I can not see anything new (except that the prediction is photo instead of drawing) so I am surprised to see it released by Richard Osterlind now... I still didn’t order it, but the known forcing method is very easy and I don’t believe it is possible to be improved so... Am I missing something!?
Creator of the Monster Card, Multi Lock, Mystery Calendar, Houdini Spirit Board, Houdini Pendulum, Houdini House Spirit Set, UniPeek, Love Connection and Mental Card.
Find more on my website: http://hektormagic.com/products
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2020, hektormagic wrote:
Hmm.... Am I missing something!?

No, don't think that you are missing anything. I really don't understand this release...particularly coming from Osterlind.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I first saw this as Child's Play by Bev Bergeron in volume 1 number 11 of Syzygy. It didn't use a photo, but it's the same thing.
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
On one of his dvds and it's been out for a while.
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2020, stempleton wrote:
On one of his dvds and it's been out for a while.

Do you happen to recall which DVD?
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Easy To Master Mental Miracles - Richard Osterlind Volume 4
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2020, EricDraven wrote:
Easy To Master Mental Miracles - Richard Osterlind Volume 4

And even older... "Challenge Magic."
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Like Osterlind stuff, but not a Simone T fan, so would pass in any case...
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I usually really like Richard Osterlind releases, but watching the demo video I’m not at all interested in this, even for $5.

When the gal in the video goes to remove the photo from the envelope, it looks like she’s searching through several to find the right one.

Looks like a pretty weak effect, to be honest.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, Stunninger wrote:
I usually really like Richard Osterlind releases, but watching the demo video I’m not at all interested in this, even for $5.

When the gal in the video goes to remove the photo from the envelope, it looks like she’s searching through several to find the right one.

Looks like a pretty weak effect, to be honest.

That is not correct she only has one photo!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Yikes. That makes the performance even less impressive.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, UK
203 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
I like Derren’s take on this effect utilising multiple participants, time misdirection, a blindfold, and a prediction written by one of the participants. Not sure if it’s actually based on an existing variant, but it’s great either way!

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Vector' (propless code divination) https://www.mindfx.co.uk/products/vector-by-ross-bartels-e-book
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) - limited release
'Tacitus' (non-verbal propless effect) - limited release
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Bought this, I don't know who Simone Turkington is but her performance was pretty basic, almost like she learned it that morning. The reaction she gets from the spectators are like "alright pretty interesting, is that all?" Using her kids in the prediction I guess was supposed to add an emotional element but failed flat

Don't know why she's releasing this when Osterlind could have filmed it himself when he was at the P3 studios
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
Bought this, I don't know who Simone Turkington is but her performance was pretty basic, almost like she learned it that morning. The reaction she gets from the spectators are like "alright pretty interesting, is that all?" Using her kids in the prediction I guess was supposed to add an emotional element but failed flat

Don't know why she's releasing this when Osterlind could have filmed it himself when he was at the P3 studios

Agreed, I feel she detracts from every effect I've seen her demo or teach. And she always seems to get that same reaction.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Here is my mini review posted on my Instagram:

Predict-Tac-Toe by Richard Osterlind presented by Simone Turkington allows you to play a Tic-Tac-Toe game with audience and predict the exact result. The effect can be done impromptu with minimal setup. What you need is a pen and paper. ⠀

The effect was published in ‘Easy to Master Mental Miracles’ vol 4 by Richard Osterlind. ⠀

The tutorial comes as a download. The video is shot in a home setting with live performance on street. ⠀

Total Length- 8:08⠀
Performance- 1:21⠀
Explanation (1st part)- 3:10⠀
Explanation (2nd part)- 1:30⠀
Tips - 1:01⠀
Additional handling - 0:40⠀

While Simone explanation is clear, the effect is not particular impressive. The fact that the effect is too clean means that audience can reconstruct what happened by re-doing the effect a few times. In addition, while the effect can be perfectly executed, Simone talks about recovery plan if the method failed and then come back to clarify that it actually can be done perfect in ‘additional handling’. I am quite surprised that the teaching is not thoughtful enough from the start. ⠀

At about US$5, it may be a good effect for beginners. But I don’t recommend it to any serious magicians because it can hardly impress knowledgeable audience. You need long performing time but only left with a moderate reaction from audience. ⠀

Final Verdict: ☆5/10

Hope this give you some ideas what it is about.

You may want to take a look at my Instagram which I will post many mini reviews

https://www.instagram.com/alexmagicreview/

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Predict-Tac-Toe by Richard Osterlind presented by Simone Turkington (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL