The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually Laurie no. HIS music was written by others. Tell me again how it came ferrin HIS heart and his music was HIM.

He was a performer and took others music to heights usually that they did not. But it is simply wrong to claim it came from his heart. He was not a songwriter or composer.

Sorry for insisting the truth be sprinkled into this conversation. It is just possible you wear blinders. We all have personal blind spots. I guess I should say I have them as I can't speak for all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny I don’t think she said he wrote the songs. True Elvis didn’t write his own songs, but I agree with her that he did sing from the heart. That has nothing to do with who wrote it. Relating to the words is key, that’s how he owned it. He understood the song well enough that everybody thought he had written it. The songs fit.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nice spin. Totally untrue. She called it HIS music. It wasn't. It was others music. He PERFORMED others music. I don't care where he sang from.

NOBODY thought he wrote My Way out Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Just stop with silly excuses. The truth is so much easier.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
LOL. Owning a song simply means it fits you perfectly.

Danny you don’t have a clue.

We get you hate Elvis and this whole topic, so why can’t you just move on and stop the nonsense.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Putting words in my mouth didn't work.

You can move on, just stop posting. But you CAN'T DO THAT. You just can't help yourself you have to get the last word.

Please tell us about you vast experience in the music scene Tom. Go on make up something really quick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Elvis was... and before him there were bobby-soxers swooning over a young Frank Sinatra.

Let's agree that Elvis learned from his dress rehearsal. Feedback is useful for those who can and choose to learn. What of it?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree Jonathan, Elvis learned from his dress rehearsals.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
I ask about experience when I have these "food for thought" discussions. It matters. You can't just imagine it into existence, it has to happen and there is NO substitute.
Agreed Danny. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
WONDERFUL. Elvis learned from his dress rehearsal. Though this wasn't the point of the OP now was it? So nobody has to scroll back to page one here it is cut and pasted.

" How many do a dress rehearsal these days? It's a very important and helpful part of the process and journey to performance. Videos welcome of either and/or. Smile

I'd like to start with an illustration from Elvis Presley's Aloha Concert, "final performance" of which was broadcast live worldwide in 1973. He filmed a dress rehearsal concert which is also known as the Alternate Aloha Concert. See the step up from the dress rehearsal to the live broadcast. That step up (raising stakes) was something I was keenly aware of when we went from dress rehearsal to performance when I studied Theatre Arts in College. I think Dress Rehearsal is something that many performers might skip these days, and it shows. Here's Elvis:

The arrogant presumption is that "I think Dress Rehearsal is something that many performers might skip these days, and it shows."

When asked the very simple question as to whom she is speaking of there is deafening silence. When asked what could have been gleaned from this process we get more fangirl Elvis links and Tom jumping in with nothing to add. And then get told how much conversation is welcome.

Now it just degrades into Elvis mania. Fine no problem but don't disguise it as "food for thought" for it is not even close. It is pontification and nothing more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
There's an apology at the bottom of page 1 for the arrogant presumption, Danny.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Laurie. I think you are adding a tone to my post that I did not intend and for my part in that let me extend an apology. I do not always take the care I should when posting, I just sort of post it thinking people get what I am thinking. Again I am sorry and please allow me to try to reset this to take the heat out as this is a cool topic. Fair enough?

I am one who believes a person's point of view is informed by their experience. Without a point of view just having an opinion is not really that big of a deal to me. I have many opinions about my medical care, but all of them pale in comparison to a trained medical professional, and then those are on a sliding scale according to their own experience. So experience REALLY matters. It does not necessarily mean anyone has to be "wrong" just because they lack experience, but it does come into play when trying to see a person's viewpoint.

Certainly in an artistic setting such as a performance experience should matter shouldn't it? I mean if you are out there every night working at it for 30 years that simply MUST mean something right? Along those lines I just did a dress rehearsal for an Off Broadway show yesterday and the sound and light crew was AMAZING. They brought THEIR ART to the process! For I believe what each does to bring a show to life is art in and of itself. Every discipline you mentioned above IS an art form and worthy of recognition as is every position.

Understand my view is underpinned simply by experience. 30 years of out there doing it for the public is the viewpoint. When you speak of the "fine tuning" Elvis did that was in my view exactly what I was talking about. "We learn our craft from each other, and our art from our audience". Giving away that cape in the show, all the refinements made are them learning the ART. To me this is the difference that comes forth when a thing is done at a high level so many times! It is the beauty of experience. It is why it can NOT be overlooked and should be considered. It is why I ask about experience when I have these "food for thought" discussions. It matters. You can't just imagine it into existence, it has to happen and there is NO substitute. If it came off as dismissive please allow me to apologize once more. It is not meant to be.

There was also THIS apology that you chose to ignore also.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Look closer.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur."

Alfred Eisenstaedt
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's an example from my own repertoire.

I rehearsed this in full dress for a while leading up to this performance. I walked to the venue, so was well warmed up, though early, upon arrival.

Somewhere in there before showtime, someone asked me if I wanted to test the chair I'd be using, but I declined, which was a mistake, since the chair height in relation to the fixed Mic height affects the angle of the guitar fretboard.

When the angle of the fretboard is unfamiliar, the grip may shift to inaccurate finger placement (for me, usually too high on the fretboard), resulting in missing the chord. Looking at the fretboard to correct or ensure correct placement turns face away from the Mic.

30 years of performance could iron that out, but I learned this song a year ago, I think it was. (I'd heard it before but only discovered its name and chords & lyric variations- which I adjusted Smile - last year)

So, the second song here was affected by an unnecessary lack of preparation, fwiw.

Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I would definitely stipulate that for most live performances... the less you work, the more important the "Dress Rehearsal" could be.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
I would definitely stipulate that for most live performances... the less you work, the more important the "Dress Rehearsal" could be.

Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:

Agreed.

Also, I've noticed that after a while, the simple fact of dressing up would put me "in the zone" and made it easier to recall my text, my moves, etc. Almost like a pavlovian thing. At the end of of the show, I would keep my suit on for as long as needed (meeting clients, writing feedbacks, etc.). I don't know how much of psychology it involves or if I'm just making stuff up for myself, but I noted something had changed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL