The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:

I think that's our goal and was Elvis', too, in his work

"There is a definite story I am trying to get across in pantomime..."
Cardini Genii April, 1942
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OK on topic of dress rehearsal, the job of such an event is not to get this done. Certainly all of this work of telling a story in pantomime is done well before that process isn't it? I mean you would be rehearsing these elements. They are in place.

This is why I keep asking what went wrong with the many acts you think can benefit and how a dress rehearsal how would have helped?

You see it as being obnoxious, but it is trying to understand the root of the point you are trying to make. Unless pontication is the point. Which is fine but should be said so it is clear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Well, as I said awhile back, this is intended as a conversation, not a lecture. Everything is connected and I actually take interest in a conversation which can expand in scope.

If you want to continue drawing lines go right ahead, but, again, please realize, we're allowed and may choose to step outside of them.

Here's Elvis: https://youtu.be/8HnTcIbtVns?t=135

because you've been really concentrati......king out

Well that's just me, I guess... I I ju...... know...
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Of course we at some point should at least acknowledge that what you are doing is ascribing motive posthumously. If you can point me to a place where either Elvis or Cardini said these things I'd enjoy reading in their own words their thoughts on these subjects.

If not then it is little more than a guess.

Nothing inherently wrong with this, but it probably should be said.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
Well, as I said awhile back, this is intended as a conversation, not a lecture. Everything is connected and I actually take interest in a conversation which can expand in scope.

If you want to continue drawing lines go right ahead, but, again, please realize, we're allowed and may choose to step outside of them.

Here's Elvis: https://youtu.be/8HnTcIbtVns?t=135

because you've been really concentrati......king out

Well that's just me, I guess... I I ju...... know...

I am REALLY just trying to figure out what you are saying in your first post. You give a lot of excuses for NOT sharing what you mean, but no real conversation. Mostly Elvis links and pontification.

Is the question of what one of the "many" you have seen who NEED dress rehearsal could have learned HAD they done one such a horrible question? I would think that it would follow naturally from the first post. How is it drawing a line? For someone who invites conversation you seem to want to shut it down at every turn unless it is 100% in line with what you want to preach about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

I am REALLY just trying

I think that's where you're stuck, Danny- showing everyone how hard you're REALLY just trying. And I'm becoming convinced you intend to continue doing that alone, regardless of the content I post.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Right. Elvis fangirl links and pointless pontificating it is.

It just might be what caused the apparent dismissal of your alleged experience in page one that upset you so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
The beautiful thing about fiction is that it rules one's very soul because one's heart one can't control because it's all o-only make believe. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
262 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Page 56 of Maximum Entertainment 2.0 by Ken Weber makes the point for me. For those with a different edition it is paragraph six under Master Your Craft. He doesn’t mention full tech checks at the performing venue in this section but he does talk about complete rehearsal (as distinct to practice) of an act from start to finish with appropriate costume. My understanding is that his advice is being directed to “any” magician that performs for an audience. The whole book is obviously for magicians that perform. My point is that there are numerous performers who aren’t professionals. They could be hobbyists, amateurs, non workers, but if they are out there performing they are “performers.” Are there “professionals” who skip dress rehearsals? I have no idea. But are there “performers” who skip dress rehearsals or don’t know the value of some form of dress rehearsal? I think so. The Café has over 69,000 members and the vast majority are non workers like me. My own experience informed me that when Laurie wrote “performer” she was including me, a non worker in that definition. Laurie then explained that performers did not just refer to professionals. As a non worker, the advice I’ve received on the Café from workers and non workers and those in between and from those with training and experience in allied industries has often been very valuable as I try and lift my game. Laurie didn’t need to hear it from me the first time but again thank you Laurie for bringing up a great topic and making a very useful point that many “performers” can benefit from. John
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
A rehearsal for me normally consists of a spot of after-dinner fun. I try to invite one who knows, who might offer some valuable advice.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don’t think Laurie could have picked a better example than Elvis for us all to learn from. Many have studied his life to improve their own performance work as well as their own personal lives. Elvis touched and continues to teach many beyond just the music industry.

A few Fans that Elvis touched:
https://elvisdaily.com/2017/10/12/15-fam......t-elvis/

Five Influence Lessons I learned From Elvis Presley
https://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leaders......presley/

10 Practical Life Lessons from Elvis
https://medium.com/@narecus/10-practical......f904062e

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Picked Elvis to help improve their lives?

HILARIOUS!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It’s too bad Danny you not an Elvis fan, you could learn a lot.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I am an Elvis fan Tom. My research indicted in his personal life he married a 14 year old when he was 24. He was abusive, cheated on his wife, went after another 14 year old when he was in his late 30's, and so forth.

What about this should we learn from Tom? Go ahead defend it for me. PLEASE defend it. I know that your game is to disagree with me no matter what. I am saying the way he treated women was disgusting and there is nothing to learn except for him being a bad example. Disagree. Go ahead.

(I am actually shocked Laurie would be such a fan of a person who acted the way he did personally. If he did it today my guess is he would be reviled by many.)

Defend the drug abuse for us Tom. Go ahead.

Sad part for you Tom is I AM an Elvis fan. But I am a fan of the person who lived in reality, not the guy who lives in the recesses of fandom and their redefinition of history. Go ahead Tom. Defend it all for me.

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen.......1906104

"One night, when she couldn't stay awake to keep reading with him, she saw one of the magnums in action — or rather heard it. A deafening roar woke her up. Elvis had fired the pistol at the wall over the headboard.

He explained that he had asked her to get him some more yogurt and she hadn't jumped to. "It was an attention-getter," he explained."

Sure Tom LOTS to learn from his as his private life goes huh? Can't WAIT to see you defend it for us.

And for the record Tom YOU DRAGGED this discussion into the swamp once again in an effort to disagree with me. YOU brought up how great he was personally and such. So later when you try to spin this don't forget that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
We can learn from the bad too. Learning what not to do is a good lesson. Don’t you think?

I prefer to look for the good in those who have passed on and not waste time on the bad.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Great way not to repeat history.

Great. Fanboy perspective is really helpful.

And Tom I didn't need anyone to serve as an example to teach me not to abuse people, not take drugs or shoot guns at others and statutory rape is a bad thing.

If those are all things you need guidance to help you with then I guess that is what it is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thank you, John.

"There was always a cleanness, a directness, about most of Edward's magic. Much was, perhaps, beyond the ordinary conjurer. But Edward had stripped it to the essentials." p.21-22 The Magic of Edward Victor's Hands. Compiled and Written by Rae Hammond. Published by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg. 1995.

"George Blake recalled that during the run of Edward's first pantomime at the Theatre Royal, Leeds, in 1937-38, he never turned away a visitor, and consequently he didn't have much time to himself during the many hours he was in the theater, with twice-daily performances for most of the three-month run. These visits kept him in touch with other magic, because in those days the Yorkshire area seemed rich in magical talent and Edward received stimulation from the minds of such as Dr. H. Park Shackleton, Roland Winder, Albert Verity, D'Albert, Bill Bailey and the two (unrelated) Waddiloves. On the other hand, these numerous sessions gave him little time to practice and George recalled Edward getting thoroughly lost when presenting a "Spelling Bee" trick at a meeting of the Yorkshire Magic Club in Bradford. Edward confessed afterwards to George that he thought he remembered all the complicated routine, and hadn't bothered to run through it first." p.25 The Magic of Edward Victor's Hands. Compiled and Written by Rae Hammond. Published by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg. 1995.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Priscilla Beaulieu was 21 years old when she married Elvis Presley.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really? You want to defend this behavior?

OK when did they meet? Yea when they were married. More fangirl spin.

Are you saying he did not have a need for young girls? That he wasn't abusive?

Sort of puts everything you want to claim about how women are treated in perspective. Treating women poorly seems to be alright just so you are an icon and sing nice. Kind of disingenuous of you.

https://www.africanglobe.net/headlines/l......ile/?amp
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL