We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
Thank you very much for joining in, John.

Danny, this is intended as a conversation and I've stated all are welcome. If someone hasn't answered your questions, there may be a reason you're not considering.

Right. Hurt feelings doesn't help people learn does it?

So what exactly are you saying when you see "many" performers who skip this step? How many is that? What went wrong and how exactly could it have been fixed?

Laurie I am sorry but these are EASY questions that are at the heart of your claim. It seems meaningless to just pontificate and put up video of Elvis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
With those examples in mind WHAT HAPPENED that went SO wrong that a full dress rehearsal would have been able to fix? HOW EXACTLY do you believe a full dress rehearsal would fix the problem?

See without these things answered it is mere pontification about a subject. Great for what it is, but in the grand scheme of the world fairly useless.

Perhaps useless in your mind, but that's your opinion, Danny. Especially considering the dress rehearsal is able to do more than point out problems. The dress rehearsal(s) allow(s) the production to get a sense of how the show will run for the audience and to be ready when the audience gets there and to be able to be a step ahead of where they would be if they hadn't run one.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Danny if you're wondering why this conversation isn't moving, maybe it's time to have a look in the mirror. Let it breathe a little.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I get that and yes it is useful.

Tom is very specifically talking about solving problems that may come up or how whoever's paid can see what they are buying and those are just false.

I think the most value such things provide ig's the performer really feeling they are into the roll more. (Which is what your derm to be saying.) It allows a sense of comfort with all the makeup, props and costuming. For theatrical production it is useful.

But I'd like to drill down to the claim shot many performers today who skip this. I'm curious as to the mistakes made, if there were shy, and how anything would actually be any different?

Again without this pontificating is just that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Danny if you're wondering why this conversation isn't moving, maybe it's time to have a look in the mirror. Let it breathe a little.

So "all" opinions are welcome is not really what you mean at all? You only want all the opinions that do nothing to support what is being said.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
No, Danny, I want you to recognize that your opinion is also an opinion.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's something I think Elvis addressed in his movements in American Trilogy after viewing his rehearsal tape: "The type and size of the performance space require a fundamental adaptation in the size or scale of the performance. Adjusting the scale of performance is a matter of increasing or decreasing its size without distorting the content, just as you might raise or lower the contrast or color level on a television set without changing the content of the picture. For example, an intimate scene can be played in a large theater by making an overall increase in its size and volume, as long as the behavior and attitudes of the characters continue to conform to the demands of intimacy in all other respects....

"In live theater, the problem of scale is usually a matter of this sort of enlargement. For certain intimate spaces, however, such as small full-round stages or environmental productions, you may need to reduce scale so as to focus on the minute details of physical and vocal behavior.

"The most extreme instance of small-scale work is acting for the camera. Because of its closeness, the camera lens tends literally to record your thought; it is usually "too much" for the camera if you do anything more than think your way through a scene and allow the rest of your behavior to remain as it would be in life; some actors actually have to reduce the scale of their real-life behavior for the camera." Robert Benedetti The Actor at Work Ninth Edition. Pearson Allyn and Bacon. 2005
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
No, Danny, I want you to recognize that your opinion is also an opinion.

Wonderful now you want to tell me what I do and do not realize? Talk about diminishing a person. For someone who takes offense fairly easily you do not take much care with your words do you?

So the actual theatrical terms I am using are just my "opinion"? Or do we call those agreed upon terms that were set in place long before I or believe it or not even Elvis came along?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, it’s not that I can’t answer all your questions; it’s that you will not accept any answer I give that doesn’t match your on belief. I don’t know why you ask questions while pointing out that my experience is not good enough to give an answer. You value nobodys opinion that doesn't match your own.

The Elvis example is a good example that you never get so good that you can’t spot something that might help the performance. As Laurie pointed out, Elvis, as good as he was, noticed a few changes that he needed to do during a dress rehearsal, had it not been any rehearsal then maybe the change would have been left out. NO the PURPOSE of the full rehearsal is not always to find mistakes, we hope it is perfect, but when its not it’s a good thing because you still have time to correct it.

Let me add that we will never be so great that we can’t learn from the experience of others or our own honesty. Like a famous dead man once said, “I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him.” An act, much like life itself is a never ending learning experience.

Tom
Smile
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Here's something I think Elvis addressed in his movements in American Trilogy after viewing his rehearsal tape: "The type and size of the performance space require a fundamental adaptation in the size or scale of the performance. Adjusting the scale of performance is a matter of increasing or decreasing its size without distorting the content, just as you might raise or lower the contrast or color level on a television set without changing the content of the picture. For example, an intimate scene can be played in a large theater by making an overall increase in its size and volume, as long as the behavior and attitudes of the characters continue to conform to the demands of intimacy in all other respects....

"In live theater, the problem of scale is usually a matter of this sort of enlargement. For certain intimate spaces, however, such as small full-round stages or environmental productions, you may need to reduce scale so as to focus on the minute details of physical and vocal behavior.

"The most extreme instance of small-scale work is acting for the camera. Because of its closeness, the camera lens tends literally to record your thought; it is usually "too much" for the camera if you do anything more than think your way through a scene and allow the rest of your behavior to remain as it would be in life; some actors actually have to reduce the scale of their real-life behavior for the camera." Robert Benedetti The Actor at Work Ninth Edition. Pearson Allyn and Bacon. 2005

This idea gets to the HEART of why magic is SO difficult to do on television well. Back in time even more so. Magic is a series of pictures that the magician tries to control. Back in the 80's huge screen television was not the norm in the least. So people tended to look at the whole picture. It made things quite difficult. Matt Schulien HATED to do TV work. He absolutely hated to ruin the surprise for the crew and people in studio he was working for. That was where he got his "energy" for lack of a better term. To go through it over and over and over would have killed him. He lived off of reactions.

Also controlling the smaller pictures in real life was much more easily done than shrinking all of life into television.

My question though is are we discussion Television production or live production? The difference is apples and hand grenades. If it is both, then it is difficult to fold each into a single discussion. It is sort of akin to trying to talk about driving a car and driving am 18 wheel truck. They "seem" as if they are the same skill set, and it makes sense that some things translate, but in reality not many of the theories work all that well. Each is their own set of unique issues.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"In the live theater, the opening of the show is never the completion of your work but only the start of a new phase of the growth process. The audience contributes in many ways, perhaps most by providing the responses that complete the rhythmic shaping of the work.... Whatever their form, the audience's responses are an important element in the rhythm of the scene. So far, you have been guessing what those responses may be, and your director has been substituting for them as "an ideal audience of one," but now you have the real thing, and you can fine-tune the shape and flow of your action accordingly. This is the business of "preview" performances, or invited audiences at dress rehearsals, if you are lucky enough to have them.

"The audience's presence also causes change in the way you experience your own work. Some things you thought would work well may turn out to be too personal or obscure, whereas other things that you hadn't really noticed turn out to be powerful or worth developing further. At last you have a sure basis for judgement.

" This sure basis for judgement naturally causes you to begin economizing. You find after a time that you expend more energy during rehearsals than you do in performance and that you generally expend less and less energy as the run continues. This is not because you begin doing your part mechanically, without thought or feeling, but because you penetrate deeper and deeper to its essence; as this happens, unessential detail begins to fall away. Your performance is made more effective by distilling it to its essentials in this way; you are doing more with less." p.184-185 The Actor at Work. Robert Benedetti. Pearson Allyn and Bacon. 2005.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Professional magicians have long since realised the value of being able to perform close-up magic, in addition to their stage acts....

"Magicians of the calibre of Nate Leipzig and Max Malini, exploited this type of magic to the full. Although they did stage shows, it was close-up effects which mostly built their reputations. Leipzig in particular, was the close-up magician par excellence, for even in his stage performances he employed close-up technique and with his charm and gentle personality, was able to project intimacy and friendliness over the footlights....

"Today, close-up magic is more popular than ever, as changing conditions in the mediums of entertainnment, especially the advent of Television, have brought performers closer to their audiences. Magicians are now using smaller objects because conditions permit them to be seen. Routines which used to be suitable only for a few spectators are now regular features in the acts of the professional....

"One of the most significant factors in the growth of close-up magic, is the valuable work put in by amateurs and semi-professionals, for it is from these sources that much originality has sprung." p.1-2 The Art of Close-Up Magic volume 1. compiled by Lewis Ganson. L&L Publishing 1996.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My next question is this a discussion or are you just looking to pull quotes from books and put up Elvis videos?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15994 Posts

Profile of tommy
And now for something entirely similar

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
311 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
How many do a dress rehearsal these days? It's a very important and helpful part of the process and journey to performance. Videos welcome of either and/or. Smile

My work consists of solo shows and directing plays, but mostly I perform and direct circus.

For plays a dress rehearsal is absolutely essential.

I do well over 100 performances with the circus during the warmer months (more this year) and fortunately it becomes like clock work after a while.

We do a few shows a year that are extravaganzas with guest artists from all over the world, and frankly a full dress rehearsal is almost always out of the question. Last year our extravaganza had 35+ people in the cast from 6 different countries including a group that flew in from the Middle East on the day of the show. In lieu of rehearsals we did extensive talk through meetings with clipboards in hand. The show went off without a hitch.

We are just starting production on a show that has close to 40 people in the cast that is a circus show with a story arc and scripted lines for some of the characters. I would love to have the luxury of a full dress rehearsal but it is just not possible. I am creating a modular rehearsal method instead that will allow us to get plenty of rehearsal time and the pieces will all fall together when they need to. The show includes 3D Video Mapped sets and numerous aerial acts. Fortunately our team is used to harnessing chaos with pretty good results.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15994 Posts

Profile of tommy
Here is a great old photo of circus performers Steve.

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/236292/ci......tenprobe

"This is what a performing arts school looks like. Cold rooms - a place for precise, tiring work."
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15994 Posts

Profile of tommy
Have you ever thought of ways of making money from rehearsals?

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People already make money from rehearsals. They are how you get a show good enough to have people pay to see it. They are sort of "baked in" if you will.

I assume this isn't what you speak of though. I'm guessing you mean additional monkey and it is a great idea. MANY will use them as a Red Carpet add on, an additional experience to high value clients. There are lots of ways to do it

It is quite effective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15994 Posts

Profile of tommy
CHILLED PERFORMANCES

A chilled performance takes a more casual approach to noise and movement in the auditorium, but the performance itself is unchanged.

This performance is ideal for people who feel more at ease knowing they can go in and out of the auditorium during the show including people with dementia. This performance is for everybody and babes in arms are welcome, (not walking or requiring their own seat).

https://www.rsc.org.uk/as-you-like-it/assisted-performances

I was thinking of something along these lines.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL