The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Voodoo Needle by Peter Eggink & Aeon Sun (150 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1730 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looks like a fun effect to perform.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13144

"Voodoo Needle was the only item I chose to buy at the Blackpool Magic Convention 2020, it's THAT good!" - Max Maven

"When you see it, you imagine it is high tech magic! But once you know the incredible organic secret, You feel even better, with a definite jubilating emotion, the one created by real magic... it is really that good... Give yourself this rare pleasure..." - Gaetan Bloom

"I had to see what everyone was raving about, and when I did, my jaw dropped. Immediately I knew Voodoo Needle would go right in to my working set! Stunning visual with a genius method!" - Lewis Lé Val

"Voodoo Pin fools everyone. The method is a new principle and is deviously clever." - Tim Trono
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
That looks good to me! Eagerly awaiting some detailed reviews.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
912 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I LOVE THIS!!!! Simple and very eerie. I just wanted to sing praises as I love this. This is not a review. This is just me being excited upon learning the secret!
Doric
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Doric
I predicted this would be a convention top seller.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1351 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Looked pretty obvious to me.
I recreated it just from watching the trailer one time. But I don't think most spectators think like I do. I could not use it in paid shows as I don't use a table or a surface. If someone does, I am guessing with proper presentation this could be built up into a small show piece.
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Problem with this effect is unless you use a huge pad then the secret is obvious, I have tried it with lots of different sizes and anything under A4 gives it away. I do like the effect but I see this as only a sit down at a table effect with a large pad, if that’s your way of performing then you have a fantastic effect that people will find very baffling. I hope that someone can find a great size pad that you can easily carry around to perform this with
Doric
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Doric
I did it with an A5 pad and it fooled. Must be your presentation.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8222 Posts

Profile of pegasus
There must’ve been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Max’s favourite effect. Honestly.
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
There must’ve been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Max’s favourite effect. Honestly.

Usually everyone is that engrossed in the new releases that some real gems that may have been out years get overlooked , agree it doesn’t inspire me.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Oh sounds good, no threads or magnets, ooooh, watch the trailer..ok simple, there is no method, it just is what it is, which means any spec can repeat it instantly...
reminds me of the funky bridge they built in london that wobbled.
thanks, but ill save me 15 bucks.... should be free in a mag, or just in a book of other effects,,,
lilyjane13
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of lilyjane13
My Review and Demo In French,sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KQg5K6GKQ
lilyjane13
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of lilyjane13
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Doric wrote:
I did it with an A5 pad and it fooled. Must be your presentation.

The best format for this trick is A3
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3800 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Does seem like a fun principle that I've not previously heard of in my 30 years in the biz. It fooled me. I expected at least something to be gimmicked. Nothing is. The tutorial is decent but short. Only about 14 minutes. Has a "I better rush this to market before anyone rips me off" feel because only a few basic ideas are shared. It's one of those principles that is so unique/fun that hopefully someone will get creative and come up with a killer routine for it. The basic voodoo presentation is blah and doesn't really make sense or have a build/climax. He shows a nice ESP symbol reveal which was more creative IMO, but I still think there have to be better ways to use this.

As for pad size, no specific size is really required but I do think it looks more impossible with a bigger pad because of the distance between the pencil/pen and the pin. So it's really personal preference. I think bigger pad certainly looks better but stinks for strolling obviously. He uses a giant pad in the demo which looks really good but you could only really use that for a formal or stationary performance.

Could it have been included in lecture notes or a magazine? Yep, but at $14, it's reasonable especially for a principle I doubt many of us have ever seen/heard of before.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18806 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've had a watch (and a wash) - and I like it... I know they say use a pin with a coloured head for visibility, and I agree...but, I also want to play around with using a regular sowing needle, but with a little bit of thread hanging off it...see if that works too, as I think the visual will look a bit more eeire…

I also like the Ouija kinda idea too... will have to see if this works with say a P*r*l*b sized pad, and I think there's an "equal and opposite reaction" angle to play with, and I want to divide the paper in half and see what that looks like...

and there's some simple convincers to defuse the idea of how this works too (covered in their explanation)…

remember that pin-bending effect from a couple of years ago? maybe there's some mileage out of sw*tch*ng and finishing on the bend (matron)?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1683 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I saw this at Blackpool and loved it! I too was fooled by the method as were most magicians that were there. I would say, some people will get the method, but A) it doesn't mean it is a bad method and B) it doesn't mean others won't be fooled by it. I think, it is so unique and unlike anything on the market that it's hard to comprehend what it is past what magicians would suspect it to be. This, used as part of a larger routine could be great! Think about drawing you own Ouija board on a pad of paper, one person writes down a name of a past celebrity they would like to contact. A pin is placed in the middle of the pad, everyone rests their fingers lightly on the pad. Suddenly, the pin acts as a planchette and starts spelling out the name of the spirit the spectator wished to contact. Taking the Voodoo Needle principle, adding in some kind of peek and layering methods will make this an incredibly piece of mystifying magic. Just think outside of the box with it, layer in methods and this will great incredible reactions!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
I had one of the early ones. I use an art pad and a large hat pin. I get a name from the participant and insinuate that the needle is guiding the pencil as opposed to the other way round. So the doll and needle spell out someone’s name and you ‘follow’ it with the pencil. If the named person is found dead a week later you can claim the credit and garner immeasurable publicity !! Smile
Gordon Astley
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3567 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Love it Gordon 😂😂 .
I have to agree a bigger pad is better as the distance from the magic is more fooling and not only looks better but works better .
You need a certain amount of p....ur. so therefore far less is needed on a bigger pad ( the leverage effect , not Mark Leveridge ) imo .
Also the pad wants to move about if it’s too small which defeats the object ( literally ) .
If anyway knows how to get the needle in perfectly I would appreciate a pm .
Mines often too rigid or too wobbly 😂😂 Gaz 🙂
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, IAIN wrote:
I also want to play around with using a regular sowing needle, but with a little bit of thread hanging off it...see if that works too, as I think the visual will look a bit more eeire…

instead of thread, a human hair from your spec would be much more erie, and inkeeping with the voodoo theme.
there you go, that will be $14.95, paypal only, no refunds, thx
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:

If anyway knows how to get the needle in perfectly I would appreciate a pm .
Mines often too rigid or too wobbly 😂😂 Gaz 🙂

Practice my good sir, practice!
and I don't even have it, but after a few mins playing around I noticed the exact same probs.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of tomd
Review:

How hard is it? If 0 was self working, and 10 was near impossible, this would be a 0 (or maybe a 0.1). There is something you need to do (or not do) but there is nothing to hide, it’s essentially self working.

How examinable is it? 101% examinable... they could grab the needle as it moves and examine it.

Suited for social media or live performance? If 0 = trick you could only do for the camera, and 10 = trick that really only worked in live performance... I’d give this an 8.5. This is better suited to live performances. You could use this for social media as it has a visual appeal but... nah live performance is where this is at.

How impromptu is it? 0 = giant stage illusion, 10 = can be performed naked with nothing on you.... I’d say 5. There are no gimmicks, But you do need a rather large pad for the illusion. A4 is fine, A3 is perfect... A5 possible but not ideal at all.

Value for money? There is some value in the illusion in its current form, but the real value is in what it could be. The download is 9 mins long, and almost half of that is performance. If I could describe this download as a phrase it would be, “ok you see this cool idea? this is my idea and I came up with it first”. I don’t mean that offensively, it’s a very simple concept and anyone could have stumbled across it and released before them... and the length of the download just suggests that they wanted to get the idea out there quickly to protect against others claiming the discovery, I’d have done the same. The routines in the download are meh, but the potential routines that could come from this could be A*. I got value for my money.

What’s the catch? Might be hard to use this for walk around unless you are willing to carry a larger pad with you, and you also need a table.

Will you perform it? When the opportunity arises, yes! Though I will work on a reason to use this first. I’m not the biggest fan of the voodoo idea. It’s too easy (and fooling), I’ll have to perform it.

Concluded: there are a lot of positives with this download. It’s incredibly easy to perform, it will fool most magicians (let alone laymen), and I can see a killer routine being made from this concept. That said, this won’t be suitable to walk around/ mix and mingle magicians, and in my opinion you’d need to spend time on working out a decent presentation. If you aren’t the most creative mind and you don’t like the presentations in the download, this may not be for you either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Voodoo Needle by Peter Eggink & Aeon Sun (150 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL