The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Order - Card Shark (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
371 Posts

Profile of hornet
Has anybody picked this up, maybe at the Blackpool convention? Looks impressive!

https://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page......rtID=386
As a full time performer, Philo Kotnik has developed an intriguingly straightforward version of a colour separation.

Imaginge the fairest Out of this World approach without ANY fancy or obvious moves. Let your spectators believe in their own superpowers.

Sold out at the Blackpool Magic Convention 2020. Limited supply, so order soon
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
So other than the indicator cards I would guess none of the cards are examinable

The problem would be this is the sort of effect that a spec will sometimes pick up some cards afterwards

I think the compromised deck (if that’s what it is) is too big a compromise as the no funny moves (or ‘fairest’) OOTW is not quite fair with the need to do something to reposition a deck.

I would guess this may be for magicians as they will be confused by the different unfair part

But if lay audiences don’t notice anything funny with a ‘normal’ OOTW then surely it would be better doing the normal deck version?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
This is “A New World“ (Dill/Weber) with a full deck... why „A New World“ is clearly superior if you compare routine construction and handling... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It is the same

I guess the bonus with this (rip off) version is a spec could be naughty and deal all 50 cards as black or all red and still be right... which should be impossible

The original version looks more fooling as the extra cards laid first of all... then leaving the indicator cards alone... leaves any move more hidden (or rather the non move won’t drew anywhere as much potential heat)
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1384 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
The Jerx has a great technique when faced with new releases like this. It’s called “the grass is always greener.” It’s a simple concept. Pretend this new release is the way the trick has always been done. Then imagine someone comes along and suggest the original method as a new version. Would this “new” version be an improvement on the “old” method? If so, you don’t need the current release.

So if the method for out of this world had always been a gimmicked deck that can only be used for one trick, and I came along and told you I had created a new method using an ungimmicked deck of cards that can be totally examined afterward without a deck switch... which would you think is the better method?

I have my opinion. I’ll keep it to myself.

Madison
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Maddison you have this magic business all wrong....

You should be selling that (original Curry) version as your own brand new effect....
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1639 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I don't know how this works, but I think it has its place. I seldom do OOTW any more: too many *** people know it. Because it's so easy to learn, I find it's one of those tricks that quite a lot of people, usually men, have picked up somewhere along the line. The ability to show the deck mixed immediately before dealing is a big plus IMO.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1647 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Do you mean by show it mixed you mean you can rifle shuffle?
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1519 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Ordered this as it’s the Mrs favourite trick and this looks so clean.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, Ross W wrote:
I don't know how this works, but I think it has its place. I seldom do OOTW any more: too many *** people know it. Because it's so easy to learn, I find it's one of those tricks that quite a lot of people, usually men, have picked up somewhere along the line. The ability to show the deck mixed immediately before dealing is a big plus IMO.

Being able to show the deck mixed before the dealing is indeed a big plus, but that’s not the unique selling point of this gimmicked deck. There are other gimmicked decks where you can also display the deck as mixed moments before dealing, but with the added benefit of the deck being examinable and you can perform any other trick straight after.. There are also impromptu methods for displaying the deck as completely mixed, then immediately handing the cards out for dealing with a normal deck.

The only unique element with this gimmick (compared to the methods I’ve mentioned above), is that the final display is a tiny bit fairer... but at what cost?
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
943 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, JanForster wrote:
This is “A New World“ (Dill/Weber) with a full deck... why „A New World“ is clearly superior if you compare routine construction and handling... Jan

Why people are doing no research before releasing a product?
At least Card Shark should have an eye on this as manufacturer?
I‘ve wrote Philo and asked him about similarities but got no answer.
DLMagic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of DLMagic
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, The Duster wrote:
Do you mean by show it mixed you mean you can rifle shuffle?

You can show it mixed AND you can riffle shuffle or overhand shuffle it.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8053 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The biggest letdown for most in ref to a new world was the fact it was only half a deck. The reasoning for half a deck was to prevent duplicates appearing. Has this been solved somehow with this version?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3797 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, pegasus wrote:
The biggest letdown for most in ref to a new world was the fact it was only half a deck. The reasoning for half a deck was to prevent duplicates appearing. Has this been solved somehow with this version?

It was also done this way ("A New World")as it allows a very open and fair handling. I guess you have it, then reread it in the booklet. And for the effect itself, it doesn't matter if you use only (and it is motivated!) half of the deck or the entire deck.

Besides that, it allows in the beginning a very convincing handling and at the end you have more than one cover card for each pile. In the "new" version, using a full deck and two cover cards only, I do not see any improvement at all, even in contrary, if you consider the far more restricted handling... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3100 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Not sure if this would work or not, but couldn't you just use half of this deck mixed with half of a normal deck to basically get two "A New World" decks?
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of newguy
I believe from reading this thread that Jan is the ONLY person commenting on New World that has actually read the instructions and thought about it.

I have seen two online "performance/advertisements" for "Order" and in both, the presence of duplicate cards is blatantly obvious.

One easy way to spot a rip-off that claims to be an "improvement" is that the person putting out the "new" version clearly does not understand the fundamental facts about thing he/she is "improving"

I'm glad New World is almost impossible to get anymore.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8053 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The reason I was annoyed with ‘A New World’ and I wasn’t alone in my feelings is that it wasn’t advertised as a half deck spread. The reasoning was in order to avoid duplicates.

It’s the cleanest method that I’ve ever seen though, that’s for sure.
dvno
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of dvno
For me the duplicates aren't really a problem. I always spread the deck for a short period of time just to show that the colors are very well mixed up. So there's no real danger that a spectator would spot a duplicate in my opinion.
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
Derby
198 Posts

Profile of IanB
My "Perfect World" released through JB Magic pre-dates "A New World" but because of the publicity machine around Dean as a "named magician" mine fell into obscurity.
It is basically a full deck of mis-indexed cards made popular by Simon Aronson. He called them wide spread gaffs.
There was no switch of side as in the classic OOTW and you could do what this new effect does ie a full deck deal and spread at the end.
With respect to "A New World" and "Order", mine came first and IMHO does a better job.
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of newguy
Ian,

Thank you for the information. The instructions say this was first released in 1994. Did your trick come out before that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Order - Card Shark (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL