The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (142 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone seeing less bookings and cancellations of gigs due to the Covid 19 virus? So many events are canceling in my state and at first I thought it was panic but now it seems like its not getting any better. I have two huge corporate gigs coming up next month but not getting my hopes up now.

Decomposing Gigs
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Just got back from a tour in Asia and we cancelled Hong Kong and came close to cancelling Tokyo as well. Seoul, Korea was no problem as we were far from the bad sections.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Ray. Its crazy. Today after I posted, I get a referral from Paris to USA so at least some are still business as usual. I think once we learn more about this strain, things will certainly return to normal.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, so far I haven't noticed any type of slow down or a drop in bookings or cancellations due to this. I suspect there may be a few larger public events that may be cancelled over the next few weeks as a precautionary measure, however, I also suspect some progress and favorable news also during this period that may put many at ease.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The cruise industry is definitely feeling the pain from this. I fear it will get a lot worse before getting better.
Ray Pierce
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
So far, I'm booked for nearly 90 fair days and none of them have been canceled. BUT, even if they were, I have the ability to work anywhere, on the drop of a dime. Plus, I don't have all my eggs in one basket (market). Since I have consistent bookings in several markets, one can dry up and while it will suck, it won't break me. A lesson learned long ago, that most workers already know about.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I have had almost a dozen bookings cancelled but 90% of my work is repeat trade shows and universities; so much so that I do little advertising and wait for repeat bookings to call year after year. Rather than lose future bookings from a hard-nosed "We have a contract - you pay anyway" position, I've been letting them reschedule the booking as holiday parties and smaller in-house corporate events.There's a method to this madness in that I am hoping they will see my value at smaller in-house activities and book those in the future in addition to the trade shows and big company meetings. Regardless, now is the time to be generous. It's usually returned in spades.

Good luck!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
juggler357
View Profile
New user
Caroline Springs
18 Posts

Profile of juggler357
I have 5 show booked for the next 2 weeks, no cancellations as of yet, but things have gone crazy in Australia! You can't buy hand santizer or toilet paper because demand out strips supply. Is anyone changing their act considering the virus? Have you modified tricks at all that require touching? Is anyone using a mask and if so have you 'dressed it up' to look part of your outfit?
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Worth starting to think carefully about how to apply cancellation policies that you may have attached to your bookings. Maybe you can come to an agreement with your clients to effectively retain the booking but with the date still to be confirmed. Or potentially even requesting payment (as per your formal cancellation policy) but issuing a credit not against future bookings.
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
226 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
I've had two big bookings cancel so far. Both were within the next 30 days.

There will be many more cancellations in the next 60 days. I suspect many clients will refrain from booking in the first place. Whether or not the entire year is a bust depends on how this whole thing plays out. Nobody knows right now... and that's the scary part.

One of my mentors recommends HOLDING all deposits, and offering to apply them to a future date. This way you don't have to drain your bank account, you ensure future bookings when things pick up, and you build goodwill with the client.

My instinct is to say that the general public is overreacting. But then again, the currently estimated 10% ICU and 3% fatality rate spell disaster if this virus maintains it's lethality and spread.

I'd be shocked if 2020 ends up a great year for any of us. But fingers crossed.
Joe Skilton
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm not sure what markets you all work within that you are seeing such concerns and cancellations or panic, but I must say as a talent broker and nationwide full-service agency owner, in addition to the markets I personally perform in, we have yet to see any cancellation or serious concerns. The closest thing we received was one "what if" call just as a thinking ahead, precautionary consideration. One out of over 700 bookings currently on the books.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
So far, no state or county fairs in the areas where I am booked have cancelled or even sent out a "what if" message. I perform in another market, you might call it a secret venue, since no one else works it. That market is my biggest money maker which is saying a lot and again zERO cancelations. I'm performing in this market 3 shows per week.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I work major conventions and corporate events. I am the only one Affected but a simple google search will show you major companies are teleconference in lieu of conventions. Austin Texas is banning any event with over 2500 in attendance without submitting ahead of time written safely guidelines. Guess I am the only one with slow down since I work conferences. Glad everyone else is business as usual.
Yeah being sarcastic cause you can see entertainers all over social media suffering.

https://www.businessinsider.com/major-ev......rus-2020

No stress for me. I have other ways to make money. And yes long term it will recover. But it will get worse. History always repeats itself.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
In the past 10 days, I've had two cancellations from Fortune 500 companies/associations, and one from a Fortune 100 company. The entire conferences were cancelled. Attendees at a corporate event from 2 nights ago informed the planner that this would be their last event until told otherwise, all others were cancelled by their company. Friends working for multinational companies in LA have had their future international travel cancelled, and employees have been instructed to only see clients by teleconferencing - no visits to their US offices until this is over. It's a very fluid situation, and my colleagues working actively in the corporate market are experiencing similar stories.

As far as placing blame, it's difficult to point fingers at one person or one department. There's news coverage from many different sources showing the missteps that the US has made in designing their own tests that fell short or didn't work, while the tests in other countries are getting the job done. A scan of 8 or 9 articles from different sources this morning demonstrates that the US confirmed cases are low, in large part, simply because we haven't had the capacity to test more people. This short chart from Business Insider shows the testing data as of 14 hours ago. It's about halfway down the page:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavi......d-2020-3

The business world has already been reacting to the spread of the virus, and trying to keep their employees and clients safe, ahead of the various governmental agencies. They're protecting their people and their money. The list of cancelled events changes by the minute. A prudent person would use this information to formulate a plan around the disruption. The Atlantic has been following this closely and detailing it for their readers. This was posted this morning:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv....../607675/

For those more concerned with lost income than with the possibility of getting the virus, there's some sobering statistics in that article that may change the way -you- work.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3877 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'm tempted to throw up my hands and say "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"

My main market is Alberta -- OIL country. A few years ago there was a fire in Fort MacMurray -- the epicenter of oil production -- twinned with the election of a provincial government that didn't like the oil industry. It was a perfect storm and nearly 60% of my bookings vanished inside of one "holy cr*p...what is HAPPENING???" week. Many shows had been signed a LONG time in advance. That was a tough year.

This year I've only lost a very solid 4 day trade show which has been postponed and one convention booking. I expect that the louder the media beats the drum the more cancellations there will be.

But you know something? This, too, shall pass. It always does. Hunker down, thank God for deposit payments (you DO take deposits, right?) and keep slogging away. It could turn out to be a good thing. After all -- the snowflakes are all running for the hills and taking their "Gee I'll work for almost nothing, Sir -- and I'm worth every penny" attitudes with them.

It is what it is. Worrying about it never once changed a single thing. That's what hard work is for. Who knew?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2020, David Thiel wrote: This, too, shall pass. It always does.

This is my mindset.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
These set backs happen to all businesses in all industries at one time or another. The ones that fail and go out of business are the ones that didn't have a solid business plan in place to begin with. Eliminating the weak links is always good for us who know how to run our businesses and plan for the unexpected.

It Will Pass & We Will Be Fine. The world is NOT going to end.

Keep doing what you do and don't sweat it too much. I just looked and already the stock markets are surging again. Don't believe the media hype, EVER!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Just had another huge 3 day event cancel everything here at a major theme park in Anaheim. I was only producing one show for their closing night but it still hurt. I fully understand they are overreacting but perception is reality. Yes, it will pass, we just have to survive this slow period.
Ray Pierce
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
That sucks Ray! The powers that be are certainly under a lot of pressure. I'm sure the majority don't want to cancel, but they have to make decisions, even if they are bad decisions. Hope it turns around for you quickly. The good news is the stock market is moving back up. That's usually a good sign for what's to come.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Everyone needs to pull together. Yes Ray, perception of reality is so true. Last night I put it all in perspective and today I was feeling much better then I turned on the news. Another news conference. Then all the social distancing etc etc. More schools canceling classes and one University where I am scheduled next month cancelling classes. Oh well, best thing is it is not permanent like all we agree on.

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (142 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL