The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..13~14~15 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Libraries.

I haven't had any summer events postpone or cancel yet.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Now you are 52. I am only 35 I just sound over 50. I say something nice and get battered.

No depression here. I started this thread and no one had any cancellations. Nothing is going to happen, etc etc.

Then the bottom falls out. If anyone does not think it is not well lets look at this everyday business as usual:

All sporting events including 800 million dollar NCAA tourney cancelled
Airlines shut down
Schools Closed
Entertainment aside from TV and Social media is gone
No Movies
Restaurants closed.

I could go on and on but lets just say if an Asteroid hit this planet, I would feel more optimistic about the economy.

Will I work again? Of course. I am an entertainer and speaker. I can get gigs, that will not be a problem. Am I frustrated?
Yup. If that is depressive, so be it.

Oh btw, 10000 new cases here in 24 hours. But a drug for malaria is working and this should be over in about 2 weeks.

That is optimistic but I am not optimistic about the amount of damage this has caused. Once President Biden takes over in January, the economy will spike as he rebuilds all that is lost.

Decomposing trillions of dollars in debt

PS: Up all night and now got to see if I can pass as a senior to get in the line at Walmart with seniors so I can get in to buy essential items before all is gone again. Yes, business as usual. Waiting in lines to shop for groceries is not a bad way to spend a day. Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2020, Decomposed wrote:
It appears only two more weeks of lockdown in USA. Watched news conference few hours ago. Then hopefully business will open back up starting a recovery.

Danny you and other older folks probably will be advised to stay at home, I don't know for sure. Like you said, regular flu kills more, I agree. Doctors are the ones saying this is more contagious and more deadly.

I watched the same news report. The numbers haven't gone down so I'm not sure how they can make a decision to send everyone back to work. If stay at home was having a marked effect, I could understand. The only downside of stay at home for me is I'm out of work and have been since January so there are no job interviews being scheduled.
Where the magic begins
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I just received new bookings for May 17th and August 8th. I still have bookings on April 11th & the 14th that have not cancelled yet.

I sense an optimism out there. People are willing to do what is necessary for a time, but at some point we need to get on with our lives, even if there is some risk involved.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. People are in a temporary state of mind. They know this will not last long and that they should be looking at things on the other side of this.

As I have said this current state will not last longer than 3 or 4 weeks. The effects will last a while longer, but many we talk to as well are planning and booking still for June, July, and August. It is not as dire as many reactors are making it seem. At least not as of yet.

We've received 6 bookings for far this week. Many people are calling for reassurance, asking questions, looking for professional suggestions, insights, and possibilities, and how to get things back on track as soon as possible. We have had no actual cancellations, mostly just a handful of postponements and reschedulings, even though dates have not been determined yet for some of these.

We are not experiencing anyone freaking out, over-reacting, or being angry or pessimistic, most are encouraged and looking forward to getting things back on track and back to normal (or a new normal). Many are upset for having to postpone and reschedule and are both appreciative and thankful for our being so accommodating and helpful while reassuring them that we will be there on the other side of all of this for them.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
All my magic + speaking engagement are postponed/cancelled until June.
Many event planners and suppliers in the event industry are put on furlough. Many more also told me they are busier than ever as they are working overtime trying to reschedule all their events and working through a mountain of logistics.

As for me, welp, going to dedicate the next few months making more social media videos like these.

I figure now is the best time to put out positive content on the internet to keep past clients engaged and potentially attract some new eyeballs.
Gotta stay on top of people's minds even though most people are scrambling with cancellation/rescheduling.
And hey, I get to take a 3 months vacation with my baby girl; I don't think I've had 3 months 'off' since college summer vacation lol Smile
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Can I derail this for just a bit to say you have a beautiful baby girl?!

Too often you have to lie to people when you say it. In this case it is 100% the truth!

Congrats on that sir.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2020, Nash wrote:
All my magic + speaking engagement are postponed/cancelled until June.
Many event planners and suppliers in the event industry are put on furlough. Many more also told me they are busier than ever as they are working overtime trying to reschedule all their events and working through a mountain of logistics.

As for me, welp, going to dedicate the next few months making more social media videos like these.

I figure now is the best time to put out positive content on the internet to keep past clients engaged and potentially attract some new eyeballs.
Gotta stay on top of people's minds even though most people are scrambling with cancellation/rescheduling.
And hey, I get to take a 3 months vacation with my baby girl; I don't think I've had 3 months 'off' since college summer vacation lol Smile

Nice looking daughter you got there. You got it right.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
There's a great article in the Wall Street Journal today whereby they say that the fall season is going to be jammed packed with delayed events due to COVID-19. They're basically saying it could be one of the busiest seasons ever.

Gerry
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Its going to be great! I will be turning down jobs left and right.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have seen a report that thinks New Jersey will hit the peak of cases about the same time as New York in 2-3 weeks.

The whale watching industry is taking a HUGE HIT. Many fishing boat owners make 80% of their money Memorial Day to Labor Day. Hopefully they get by.

I only post that as a comparison to some guys I know in the post prom market. I know guys with 80% of their year coming from post proms. I have seen many cancellations for proms here in New Jersey.

These are shows that will not likely be postponed, but flat out canceled. Being as that season is upon us quickly, I wonder if we can come up with something for them? I haven't worked one in 25 years so the market is foreign to me but is there some way to get them through?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Well ***...if we're going to stick to the topic, I'll have to put down the popcorn and browse in other rooms...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
6) The president said all restrictions lifted by Easter.

If you believe that Trump said all restrictions will be lifted by Easter, please quote him (verbatim).
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

The gig to gig one night stuff is not an easy way to do this. Now more than ever it is going to be really hard to get that sort of thing back.

I don't understand what the alternative to "gig-to-gig one night stuff" could possibly be.
Gig-to-gig sounds like every gig I've ever done: holiday parties, client appreciation events, wedding receptions, trade shows.

What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it?
A touring act? A weekly theater show?
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote: What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it? A touring act? A weekly theater show?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about performing in areas that are entertainment destinations. Resorts, theme-parks, etc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote:
Quote:
6) The president said all restrictions lifted by Easter.

If you believe that Trump said all restrictions will be lifted by Easter, please quote him (verbatim).

I remember I lot of "hope" and "we will see if we can" going on myself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2020, Brainbu$ter wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:

The gig to gig one night stuff is not an easy way to do this. Now more than ever it is going to be really hard to get that sort of thing back.

I don't understand what the alternative to "gig-to-gig one night stuff" could possibly be.
Gig-to-gig sounds like every gig I've ever done: holiday parties, client appreciation events, wedding receptions, trade shows.

What's NOT "gig-to-gig," and what's the word for it?
A touring act? A weekly theater show?

Yes. Touring acts and nightly theater shows, resorts, comedy clubs and such.

I have based by life around long term contracts, not nightly stuff. I found out quite early it takes about the same amount of time to negotiate a long term deal as it does to negotiate a few one night gigs and then you don't have to do it again for 10 years!

Comedy clubs USED to be great because you could work the same ones twice a year and just keep going back every year. I have been out of that game for so long I don't know how it works now.

The DISADVANTAGE to doing what I propose is having to be willing to move to where the work actually is. For example moving from Chicago, to Key Largo, to Branson to Las Vegas, to New Jersey all within 15 or so years is a disadvantage. (Not to mention Playa del Carmen Mexico.) Interesting that success or failure are each reasons to move!

I don't know the name for it. I don't know what others call it. I call it working.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have talked about this here for years. It is what I call the "default business model" that 98% of all magicians still operate from. This is how most start by picking up a booking or two, then keep seeking their next booking. It is how most start and by default is how most continue to operate. Unfortunately most never are aware of or learn about the many other business models available to performers and entertainers, so they just keep doing what they've always done - staying on the hamster wheel working gig-to-gig, bookings over and over again, 20, 30 and 40 years later these guys and gals are still doing the same thing with ups and downs, peaks and valleys, and often struggling to survive, pay their bills, have little to no savings, and are so dependent on many outside factors. These are those that are being hit the hardest and will have to start virtually from scratch once this is over.

This business model is fine when getting started or for part-timers, but quite limiting and not in their control or favor in many scenarios.

The other business models such as the one Danny and Curt mentioned are what many stop of their field professionals prefer as there are many advantages to it. These people are likely to bounce back much quicker and easily from this COVID-19 setback.

This model is different from touring acts, 2/4 walls, while it may appear similar at a glance.

This is also why magicians have trouble understanding how some others have such huge pricing and incomes, while they may be struggling to break the $500 or $1,500 price point. It is most often because of a different business model.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread now is a great time to reexamine and reevaluate your current business model, and this is a great reason why.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Guys, you may have noticed that quite a few posts in this forum have vanished. Just to clarify, the topic was started to discuss cancellations, rebookings and such and not to discuss current numbers or speculations on the virus in general. For that reason, many of the posts have been moved to a new topic "Corona Virus Outlook" in this forum. This was a big effort on our part so please choose the correct topic before making your post. Limit this one to cancellation information and the new topic for general virus conversations. Thanks

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=44
Where the magic begins
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Hey Dave, just a quick thanks for all of this and all you are doing. I know this whole Coronavirus, the speculation, the information the progression of information (and misinformation), member's reactions and interpretations, and all is creating much additional work for you, so I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts to keep this still busiess-related and on-track. Much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL