The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help With Harold Taylor Cut and Restored Rope Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Micha-el
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Hi all, I'm looking for some clarification/help regarding Harold Taylor's Rope Trick that he described in both his lecture notes (Angle of a Pro) and his book (Magic as Entertainment.) I understand the method(s) and have worked through the routine a few times. However, in his description of the trick he refers to using the scissors as a cover for getting rid of bits of rope. I am wondering if anyone saw and remembers Harold's lecture where he included this trick and can clarify if he was trimming, or stealing and going south, or a combination of both techniques. I have worked methods for both, but would actually like to hear about how he accomplished it. I'm trying to be vague about this so as not to expose, so if a PM is needed let me know.
Regards,
Barry Moran
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
124 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
I do not have his book or lecture notes, but I saw Harold several times back in the 1970s. He had several rope routines, but his best one was the 'one long rope with a knot at one end'. There is lots of trimming throughout the routine and Harold would be forever taking his large scissors out of his side jacket pocket, trimming, and then replacing the scissors back into the pocket.

If I remember correctly (which I may not!) the only steals are right at the end when he is about to restore the rope to a single long piece. The audience is fully accustomed to the scissors going into and out of the pocket so it is an easy cover for the ditch.
Micha-el
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Rik, many thanks. That is helpful and I am sure you are describing the trick to which I refer. I would have liked to have seen Harold perform. From all that I have read, it seems as though he was quite a good entertainer.
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
124 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
I remember him as a gentle and gentlemanly performer, with a twinkle in his eye. Always engaging and a joy to watch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Help With Harold Taylor Cut and Restored Rope Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL