The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Power of Poker by John Bannon (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
454 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Ahh, you're always good fun Pegasus. Can't fault you on that.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8265 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, disgruntledpuffin wrote:
Ahh, you're always good fun Pegasus. Can't fault you on that.


Haha. Thank you my friend.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Full uncut performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkQGkfvJsI

I don't see the appeal of the final prediction, aside from rubbing it in the face that you win they lose
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
For those who like this effect...

Check out Josh Jay's video "Talk About Tricks", Volume One. He demonstrates and teaches a far nicer version (in my opinion) of this effect titled "242 Deal" - which is a creation of Richard Vollmer.

You'll be happy you did.
There is a road - no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
Full uncut performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkQGkfvJsI

I don't see the appeal of the final prediction, aside from rubbing it in the face that you win they lose


I have used the 10 card poker deal as my opening crowd stopper for over 30 years. While Bannon's is a variation, this is an extremely powerful trick.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
930 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
If you don't have Dear Mr. Fantasy, do yourselves a favor.

https://www.bannonmagic.com/dear-mr-fantasy

As cheap as $25.00 for the e-book.


Thanks for that 'heads up', Mike. Just got it, and anxious to check it out.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
Full uncut performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkQGkfvJsI

I don't see the appeal of the final prediction, aside from rubbing it in the face that you win they lose

The routine is awesome, thanks for sharing. Not sure if I understand the purpose of the prediction either... you are confirming what you’ve already proved.

Also you have to consider; the routines strength may vary depending on whether your participant knows the different poker hands. Someone who has never played before would still be impressed, but perhaps not as impressed as someone who is familiar with the game... the more familiar they are with it, the likely it is that they will realise that you don’t have a straight flush, but a royal flush (50% of the time). So if you perform this for a guy who plays poker, the prediction doesn’t make sense half the time.

Everything up until the prediction is great though
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
In the UK where poker isn't as big compared to America, winning with anything aside from a Royal Flush or even just the 4 aces would lessen the tricks impact.
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
261 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
Can anyone tell me how this is different or compares to "Head to Head Poker"by Paul Gordon?
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
375 Posts

Profile of hornet
From what I recall, in Paul’s version you have the advantage of no change in procedure (the deals are the same each time), and the winner always has a royal flush, but the pay off is an equivoque for the last card
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2020, drstevemagic wrote:
Can anyone tell me how this is different or compares to "Head to Head Poker"by Paul Gordon?


Pauls has a faster dealing proceduce (dealing 3 cards for them to choose rather than 2) you can view his performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OBO60tI4U

The only negative is the handling of the final card "quick, top or bottom?" but still, I'd rather do it that way than end with a less strong hand
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
827 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2020, drstevemagic wrote:
Can anyone tell me how this is different or compares to "Head to Head Poker"by Paul Gordon?


Pauls has a faster dealing proceduce (dealing 3 cards for them to choose rather than 2) you can view his performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1OBO60tI4U

The only negative is the handling of the final card "quick, top or bottom?" but still, I'd rather do it that way than end with a less strong hand


I’m pretty sure with Power of Poker you can always ensure the Royal Flush by using some equivoque on the first hole card selection. To me that’s preferable to using it in the last round when you are trying to stress the fairness of the choices.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of tomd
Sudo’s suggestion is good, just checked it out. “242 deal” deal has no change in dealing procedure, it’s quicker, and it also doesn’t have the equivoque issue others have. I only saw a performance of it, but I’m pretty sure you always end up with the exact same hand as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Sudo.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2643 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I remember reading 2-4-2 in Genii (or was it Magic?) Magazine some years back.

It's a very clever idea; the downside was that you won with the better Poker hand - but this could have been a win with a Full House beating 3 of a Kind?

It's impressive for people that play Poker and understand the ranks of hands; however in the UK where Poker isn't played very much, it's pretty meaningless.

Similar could actually be said about a Royal Flush - albeit this appears to resonate more as a final display. I have performed Paul Gordon's Head to Head Poker, when indeed the time has been right.

In fact, whilst, for the right audience, I perform a few gambling routines for card players, in the UK it's actually often more effective to deal out three 3's (known as a prial and higher ranked than 3 x Kings) i.e. the unbeatable hand in the more popular UK game of Three-card Brag.

Obviously, controlling and dealing three of a kind is much simpler (and can done from a borrowed pack often with little setting or manipulation) but the effect is actually much stronger. A definite case of 'less is more'.

This lesson was taught to me by Joe Riding - 'you have to deliver something that they can understand'. As he used to relate, there's no end of Poker Routines in print but British Magicians really do need to think more about what they are performing AND who to. Apart from Joe Riding, I'd never seen any other British Magician use Brag as a gambling demo. In fact, until Joe's Gambling Manuscript, I'd never read anything that related to Brag (nor in any depth, Blackjack). Magicians elsewhere should perhaps think about changing any gambling routine to their national card game. Does this happen I wonder?

Joe's ideas for getting into gambling routines from a freely shuffled (by spectator) deck, were also pretty revolutionary. Very simple in practice with minimal finger-flinging or knuckle-breaking.

It's pretty sad how his stuff flew under the radar. Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
454 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2020, Merc Man wrote:
I remember reading 2-4-2 in Genii (or was it Magic?) Magazine some years back.

It's a very clever idea; the downside was that you won with the better Poker hand - but this could have been a win with a Full House beating 3 of a Kind?

It's impressive for people that play Poker and understand the ranks of hands; however in the UK where Poker isn't played very much, it's pretty meaningless.

Similar could actually be said about a Royal Flush - albeit this appears to resonate more as a final display. I have performed Paul Gordon's Head to Head Poker, when indeed the time has been right.

In fact, whilst, for the right audience, I perform a few gambling routines for card players, in the UK it's actually often more effective to deal out three 3's (known as a prial and higher ranked than 3 x Kings) i.e. the unbeatable hand in the more popular UK game of Three-card Brag.

Obviously, controlling and dealing three of a kind is much simpler (and can done from a borrowed pack often with little setting or manipulation) but the effect is actually much stronger. A definite case of 'less is more'.

This lesson was taught to me by Joe Riding - 'you have to deliver something that they can understand'. As he used to relate, there's no end of Poker Routines in print but British Magicians really do need to think more about what they are performing AND who to. Apart from Joe Riding, I'd never seen any other British Magician use Brag as a gambling demo. In fact, until Joe's Gambling Manuscript, I'd never read anything that related to Brag (nor in any depth, Blackjack). Magicians elsewhere should perhaps think about changing any gambling routine to their national card game. Does this happen I wonder?

Joe's ideas for getting into gambling routines from a freely shuffled (by spectator) deck, were also pretty revolutionary. Very simple in practice with minimal finger-flinging or knuckle-breaking.

It's pretty sad how his stuff flew under the radar. Smile


Barry,

Just to offer some more up to date perspective, on the off chance you're interested - while Three Card Brag certainly was a more popular form of Poker in the UK, it has long since been replaced in card rooms by Hold'Em and to a far lesser extent, Omaha. Three Card Brag in the traditional sense has been replaced in casinos by a game called Three Card Poker. The highest hand in TCP is a royal flush, not the three of a kind. As far as Brag goes, it's been out of fashion long enough that during my time in the business (three years on the tables and five in Surveillance) I've never seen it anywhere or dealt it myself.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2643 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Many thanks for your reply.

In UK pubs and working-mens clubs, Three-card Brag and Cribbage are still by far the most popular card games played for fun (or for a few pints).

Various pubs and clubs in my area have tried Poker Tounaments; but these have completely died off over the past few years.

Cribbage (Crib) is still played in leagues amongst other teams (alongside darts and dominoes). Crib is also, in my humble opinion, the best card game to ever grace this planet.

As far as Casinos are concerned, I've never been in one! If I want to chuck money away, there's a drain just outside my house. Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of tomd
Well I am English as well, I think times may have changed, but it could also just my personal experience: I don’t know anyone who plays three-card brag, in fact I had never heard of the game before your post. I’d heard of cribbage but I have no idea how to play it. Poker on the other hand has always been very popular with people I’ve met. I played cash games at uni with friends, every job I’ve had people who would host tournaments on occasions, and my local casino would have massive tournaments every week.

I think a couple of things caused a bit of a shift:

1) the internet age made celebrities of certain poker players, and allowed their status travel across the pond. People like Phil Ivy and Daniel Negreanu are legends, and I’m pretty sure their internet clips got UK people hooked on the game.

2) Laws changed in America a few years ago, whereby gambling outside of a casino was considered illegal. So online poker sites lost most of their player base overnight (and 100’s of pros lost their career). High earning players moved to places like Hawaii (where the ban wasn’t in place), and some moved to Europe. Sites like pokerstars and full tilt had to change their strategy and find new players to stay afloat. A few years later and they are filled with players from Europe, and pokerstars headquarters is actually on the Isle of Man.... you’d never know this though because their ad campaigns focus purely on the American poker legends I mentioned earlier.

3) more frequently now you will see most famous players playing in tournaments abroad (as apposed to the 80’s), one example being the European poker tour. Surprisingly, only one person has won the European poker tour twice, and it was a female from the U.K. (Victoria Coren, who happens to be David Mitchell’s wife).

I don’t know how big the shift has been, but there has been a massive shift for sure.

That said, there are still so many people who don’t know the game that well here... so your points are fair. If anyone wants more info on the law changes that I think played a massive impact, check this article out: https://www.pokernews.com/news/2016/04/b......4506.htm
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I quite liked this...

I think the prediction is needed - mainly because its all apparently random choices, so there's a chance that both hands are nonsense...

I also think this needs to be reframed a bit - more of a demonstration that says "this is why you don't play poker with a mind-reader (insert label here)"...I also think you should give them the dollar as a thanks so they can buy a scratchcard, pop it in a fruitmachine or something...
I've asked to be banned
siepielski
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of siepielski
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, Sudo Nimh wrote:
For those who like this effect...

Check out Josh Jay's video "Talk About Tricks", Volume One. He demonstrates and teaches a far nicer version (in my opinion) of this effect titled "242 Deal" - which is a creation of Richard Vollmer.

You'll be happy you did.


Sudo I am very happy. Thanks.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Thank you Sudo, you made me revisit Josh Jays 242 in ‘Talk about Tricks’. Delighted I did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Power of Poker by John Bannon (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL