The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Four coin production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Can anyone suggest some four coin productions for me to look at? I'm looking for variety and pure sleight of hand, no gaffs.

Thanks,
Brian
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
David Stone has some great work with four coins Brian. Either on his two tape set or on his DVD at the 4 F's.

Reed has some interesting material on the subject as well.

Were you wanting it off the table, or does it matter?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Brian,

My Totem routine is a very simple and straight forward production of three or four coins (depending on your preference). It uses a "maigical totem coin that makes silver coins appear" premise. In its pure form it uses no gaffs, but can be easily modified to incorporate several different gaffs if desired.

It's on my manuscript if you're interested.

Also, I was just watching Sankey's Rev Coin Magic for the 20th or so time the other night, Jay's Black Stack production is a pretty interesting and unique method to produce any number of coins.

Best,
Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Thanks guys,

James...in the hands would be preferable. I must get the Stone tapes as I've heard nothing but good news about them. It would be great if I could show both hands empty ala steal of some sort, and then start start to produce one at a time.

Mike....Totem sounds interesting, thanks. I had forgotton about the principle behind the Sankey production, but I think I would prefer the coins as clean as possible without switching anything out. I may go into a coin box routine shortly afterwards. I may PM you about Totem.

Thanks,
Brian
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is much to be learned from the earlier and basic books on the subject of coin magic. Routines Manipulation, Art of Magic, Modern Coin Manipulation, Modern Coin Magic... even the Robert-Houdin book.

The use of coin droppers and coin dumpers is just so basic to the craft that it might help to spend a few days reading the basics and looking through catalogs for available options.

Does anyone use the gimmick on the hat brim from Modern Coin Manipulation or the nice candle thing from the Robert-Houdin memoirs book? So many goodies right there waiting for the student.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Brian,

David Stone has some nice theories about that on the 4 F's DVD. Definitely gives you some ideas about what you are looking for.

Jon,

Out of all of those books you mentioned, I have one of them, I must really look into updating my libary.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Brian,

I recently taught an easy four coin production at an local IBM ring workshop that seems to fit what you are asking for.

Check your PM for the work.
Click to visit:
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Hello Brian! I can second Mr. Townsend's post about the classic books. There is so much in those books just waiting to be rediscovered!

The David Stone stuff is also great. One of my personal favorites is a variation of Shoot Ogawa's "Fore Coins" from Cutural XChange 1. This production is also very similar to Ammar's "Sonic Squeeze" (see below). I love the fact that it uses the spectator's hand.

Michael Ammar's "Sonic Squeeze" from many of his videos and in his book (it's under the name "Multiple Coin Production" on page 251) is great and invites variation. Jay Sankey's "Slick Splits" uses a similar move to accomplish the effect of splitting the coins.

Reed McClintock has some great, and as always, very elegant work on this as well. See his "4 CoPro" and "Super 4 CoPro" (I think those are the correct names) in the Knuckle Busters series or one one of the Palms of Steel DVDs (I think it is on "Silverado").

If it's O.K. too for you to use cards, that opens many new doors as well. Paul Harris' "Silver Slide" is very nice and is surprising. Earl Nelson has a couple nice versions of this as well (see "4 the Easy Way" and "4 the Hard Way" from Variations). Dan Fleshman's "Rollover Half Dollars" is stunning. It is a very clean production of four coins from a single playing card. It is on one of his older tapes as well as the new L&L DVDs. There are so many versions of this effect (card/coin productions) that you couldn't spit in a magic shop without hitting a book with a variation of this in it.

Hope this helps! If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Thank you everyone!!

B.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
827 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I would definitely say that my favorite four coin production would be Reed's 4 Co Pro and Super 4 Co Pro. Super 4 Co Pro does use a gaff but it's definitely worth looking into.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Touch of Midas from Bobo's is worth looking at.

It also teaches a useful skill, which would be handy in other routines.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1666 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Kainoa Harbottle's "Rolling Stone" is a variation of David Stone's "Never 2 without...4". You can find it in Cointopia as well as his eight coin production routine "Wolverine". I suggest you get both Coins on Edge and Cointopia.

Alain Nu has a routine called "That old Coin Trick" on his video Close-up Sketches can also be found in John Bannon's wonderful book Impossibilia under a different title.

Jay Sankey has many variation on the four coin production "Cartesian Coins" from his R. Coin video/DVD or you can find it on Sankey-tized, Richards Almanac, probably of his lecture notes, also on Jay Sankey, Again, a very old video he has his "Bread and Butter Production". I know he has others but I can't think of right now.

You also might want to look at Barry Taylor's video Shell Shocked, he has a production of five coins called "Illusionation".

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1056 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Check out Paul Wilson's Knock 'em Dead video. He does a simple production of three coins. I've done this and gotten huge reaction from lay people, much to MY AMAZEMENT because it's so darn simple. All productions from the finger palm.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Tom Osborn's Passing the Buck from Bobo's is excellent! However, prepare to practice!

Mike
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Thank you so much everyone, you have given me so much to look at and research.

Brian
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3630 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Try Bologna Debut, from my Knockout Coin Magic DVD.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
Bob Fitch has also an interesting four coin production, very simple, just by caressing his hands.
Rolangicien
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
That reminds me, Bob Fitch also had a great four coin production in Apocalypse (forget which year and issue) called circles...this is well worth looking up!

Mike
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info...wow...I'm going to print this list and look for all these great suggestions!! My teacher has always said, before you do a trick make sure you produce the coins magically first. Thanks for all the options.

Regards,
Brian
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21980 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jerry Andrus's Miser's Miracle, single booklet.

Paul Harris Silver and Aces from his first book The Magic of Paul Harris, published by Jerry Mentzer of Magic Methods. His Giant Killer Coin routine is great also. As a matter of fact, most of the material in this little known book is great working stuff.

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com

Tannen sold a deck that produced four halves under for cards.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Four coin production (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL