The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Le Paul's "Aces Up" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
304 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Hi. I am a 65+ yo newbie with a question. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the ace transposition, Aces Up, presented on p. 203 of the Card Magic of Le Paul. My question is in regard to the finale where the top card of the deck is shown to be indifferent, followed by transposing the final ace from the bottom of the deck to the top using the side-steal. In his description, Le Paul writes:

"During this operation the bottom card (the ace) is transposed from the bottom to the top of the deck by means of the side-steal. Photos 5 and 6 show how the side-steal is executed SIMULTANEOUS with the action of turning the top card face-up and then returning it face-down, the palmed card being deposited on top of the deck."

Needless to say Photo 5 and 6 are woefully inadequate in providing the actual details necessary for this transposition. Even more puzzling to me is whether or not the two acts can actually be done SIMULTANEOUSLY. I cannot even imagine how this can be achieved simultaneously--side-stealing the bottom ace WHILE turning over the top card and turning it back again.

My obvious lack of experience and skills aside, have any of you performed this trick?

Any input, suggestions or sympathy will be appreciated because it really is a nice transposition.

Thanks for your attention.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
526 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Shouldn't this question be in the "Banquet Room"? The public forum is not for discussion of methods. Having said that, yes, I believe the actions can be done "simultaneous".
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Hello Ted,
Yes and no Smile
The top card is turned over First.
You then sidesteal the bottom card into a full palm. This is very similar to the sidesteal you would do for a color change where the card from the bottom is pushed from the bottom with your first finger to the other hands palm.
You then turn over the top indifferent card and as you do that, you deposit the palmed ace on top.
Hope that isn't o confusing. I can message you with more detail. It is not as difficult as it sounds.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
304 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2020, Zauberman wrote:
Hello Ted,
Yes and no Smile
You then sidesteal the bottom card into a full palm. This is very similar to the sidesteal you would do for a color change where the card from the bottom is pushed from the bottom with your first finger to the other hands palm.
You then turn over the top indifferent card and as you do that, you deposit the palmed ace on top.
Hope that isn't o confusing. I can message you with more detail. It is not as difficult as it sounds.

Thank you for the useful interpretation, it makes sense and seems possible. I shall give it a try ASAP although I know it will take some time to get it right.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
It is not easy to do.
Replacing a palmed card on the deck well is quite difficult.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6306 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Larry Jennings was its master , no Richard?
threeofdiamonds
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of threeofdiamonds
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2020, Zauberman wrote:
Hello Ted,
Yes and no Smile

This is correct. I actually do this trick. It is not an easy one to do well. However as Zauberman states above you do one thing at a time and not simultaneously. First you sidesteal the bottom card and then turn the top card face down and while doing so drop the palmed card on top while you are at it.

However, this is not an easy trick to do from a technical standpoint so here is a much easier and possibly more entertaining alternative. It can be found under the title Jack-Ro-Batics in the excellent book by Garcia and Schindler entitled "Magic With Cards" I won't describe the mechanics here but I will explain the suggested patter which should give you an idea of the effect. Here it is:

"We're going to show you some fancy acrobatics with four jacks. These are the four circus jacks who came from Europe a short while ago to entertain us this afternoon. Our first jack will perform the elevator move. He will pass through the deck. (the card comes to the top) This next jack will perform the invisible diving routine passing through the deck and landing on the bottom without a net! (the card shows up on the bottom of the deck). Jack number three will do a double somersault and turn over! (the card seems to do so) Our last acrobatic jack will attempt to turn himself out! May we have a drumroll please!. (Too complicated for me to explain what the card does here!)May we please have some applause for these fine acrobats...….and one more time for the magician!"

It may not seem like it from the above description but the effect is quite similar in some ways to the Paul Le Paul trick although of course not quite. However it is MUCH easier to accomplish and will take minutes to learn rather than the hours needed for "Aces up". Get the book I referred to and you will find the trick on page 142.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6306 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I have the book. I went through this routine it with cards in hand at one point.
I'll look at it again. Right now it sounds like Nick Trost's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Le Paul's "Aces Up" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL