The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
69 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been getting back into magic as an adult after over a decade of not doing magic. With that being said I would classify myself as a beginner with coin work and wanted to ask a question regarding technique with the retention vanish as taught by Eric Chien in his COIN video. Trying to avoid any kind of exposure of method I am having trouble with the coin getting caught or dragging on my index finger while sliding it from the initial position it is held in. I am using Morgan silver dollars to practice (sometimes Kennedy Half Dollars) and was curious if there are any tips for me to improve this part of the move? Thanks again for any help!
Wesley5n1p35
View Profile
New user
Illinois
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley5n1p35
I’ve noticed slightly tilting your hand back allows you to balance the coin on your thumb during the move limiting your drag on the fingers.
Hope this helps!
Home of the first Resin 3d printed nail writer!
Free Shipping Worldwide
https://www.meticulousmagic.com/
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
If you are a beginner in magic, I would suggest that Eric's vanish is probably too difficult to master. It will require a lot of practice to build up the necessary speed. There are many, many less challenging but equally good moves avsilable for you to learn, and not all the good ones need to be retention passes.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
If you are a beginner in magic, I would suggest that Eric's vanish is probably too difficult to master. It will require a lot of practice to build up the necessary speed. There are many, many less challenging but equally good moves avsilable for you to learn, and not all the good ones need to be retention passes.

I echo what Michael is saying it took me 6 weeks to perfect it and I still need work on the moves.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
My struggle on this type of retention is mostly on the thumb. I struggle with dry hands and the thumb action is hit/miss. Wesley's suggestion I've tried too tilting to rest more on the thumb. I like to watch the move, but I'm deciding it's not for me. Dr. Rubinstein points out the truth that there are lots of great vanishes that are easier, equally effective and not necessary need retention of vision.

Even if you get it PERFECT, let's be honest: It is an unnatural looking action. How you hold the coin and how it is taken.
If I "naturally" picked up a coin and transferred it into the other hand, I WOULD NOT do it this way...and maybe NOBODY does either (?).

That's why recently I've started rethinking my coin magic, AND eliminate movements that look like "A Move".

Blessings!
STEPH
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Try this one! My own creation.

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
A lot of good help here. Smile

When it comes to retention vanishes, there's a lot of them out there. I think it has all gone to make what was just a move into an effect in some ways. I still mostly look at it as a move, a tool to help make your magic more believable and, well...magical. You actually in many cases don't even have to use a RV, as a well-placed put or pass will serve just as well. But the RV is quite a bit more special because of that burn creating a retention of vision, and goes a bit further in selling what you want the specs to buy. There are some brilliant practitioners of the move that can do it in some unique ways, way beyond that of what was basically taught in Bobo's. But actually, the one in Bobo's is still a great way to do it after all these year, and I certainly still use it more so than anything else. Smile

I think you gotta understand what and how specs see things, how they make sense of your actions. Once you better realize this and sorta stop watching yourself, you come to realize what's good enough to persuade the belief in what you're trying to present. I guess it's sorta like using a regular nail to hold two pieces of wood behind a wall together or a "pretty" nail to basically do the same things, which all gets covered up and should become invisible behind layers of deception as to the larger effect or routine of it all.

Still, it's the shiny stuff that always catches our eyes, and with that to each his own. Smile

*Oh, and welcome to the Café, draup... Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Use the forum search and you'll find numerous threads on the so-called retention pass. (BTW, it is not a vanish, but simply a false transfer.)

Jim
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
69 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Thank you all for the replies! Tilting my hand back as Wesley5n1p35 said definitely helped with moving the coin more fluidly and looking back at the video I realized that the positioning of my index finger was not correct which led to increased difficulty. The last week I have been working on this move a lot less and trying to cover more basic coin handling moves and techniques to get my overall handling better. I agree with it most likely being a little too difficult for my abilities at the moment so I will probably build my skills up more and come back to try and tackle it later.

Also, I really liked that video Rick! I had actually watched one of your videos on what books you recommended not too long ago and I need to check out some more of your tutorials. It explained everything very clearly in my opinion.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Thanks to Rick, a few posts above, for a great video. Very generous to take your time to share your moves and thoughts. I enjoy the videos! Good stuff!
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Glad to be of help!
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
John carney does some excellent false transfers that appear very casual and offhand.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
David Roth has been known to do a retention pass
FraterBovious
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of FraterBovious
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Try this one! My own creation.

Love your videos! I like your presentation style, and the clear explanation. By the way, is that a banjo uke on the wall? Looks like a 4 string.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Several fine advancements here, Rick - hope folks are paying attention.

technique is not just about the fake pass, but what came before and after (timing, natural flow and aquitments)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
69 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2020, w I l s o wrote:
John carney does some excellent false transfers that appear very casual and offhand.

Are these false transfers in any books?
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2020, draupnir wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2020, w I l s o wrote:

Are these false transfers in any books?

https://carneymagic.com/shop/

David Neighbors is a member on the Café' here. He probably has 1 or 400 false transfers in his book or books. Try contacting him. He'll probably see your post and respond. Smile Smile

I believe he has a book called "May I have your Retention please" or something similar to that.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Rubinstein Coin Magic out in a few weeks. 500 pages, over 50 techniques, including these and more:
https://youtu.be/7z85ZHZTkck
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2020, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Glad to be of help!

Rick thank you for posting the videos they are fun to watch and I have picked up some great tips!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Rubinstein Coin Magic out in a few weeks. 500 pages, over 50 techniques, including these and more:
https://youtu.be/7z85ZHZTkck

That third one in the video has always been a favorite of mine.

Rick’s Rolling Retention is a great vanish as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL