The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2020, magicfish wrote:

But I believe the OP is referring to a Retention of Vision pass- a different class of coin pass than the aforementioned.
Retention in ROV refers to the vision of the coin being retained in the spectators eye, not the retention of the coun in the performers hand.
Bug difference.

Exactly - unnecesary confusion. As noted, it should be POV and not ROV and originally was. Sloppy writing and video muddied the two concepts.

I can reluctantly accept the modern "Retention of Vision Pass" as a name, but am sorry for those who miss out on alternative methods
of fake /false transfers because of the sloppiness of terms.

For example, I might write that my DeepDrop Vanish is not a retention type pass, and many might incorrectly assume that means "no flash" and not explore this incredible sleight.
Instead the entire coin is seen to fall into the waiting left hand as the passing hand is open and completely empty.
The coin is never in the closing receiving hand, though, and asynchronously get back into the passing hand.
Hence, it is false transfer rather than a fake one.

Also, Persistence of Vision has other applications than the apparent flash of a coin between fingers after it is extracted.
So, changing Persistence to Retention in the name might cause a student to miss out on other sleights and techniques because of the confusion with "retain in hand."

I hope this bantering back and forth will open the eyes of some readers into missed opportunities
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6483 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thoughtful post funsway. Always a pleasure chatting with you.
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
51 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Thanks for all the advice! I have a lot of material to practice and some more to look forward to in the coming future.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1060 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
The coin performer has a battery of tools in his arsenal.
The key is to use the right sleight for the right effect.
If I need to perform a ROV vanish, I automatically follow up with a glimpse of the dirty hand being empty, thanks to my DBTP technique.
IMO, the most important factor is to be confortable and natural with the sleight we choose to use.
griz326
View Profile
New user
Eureka, Montana
74 Posts

Profile of griz326
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Try this one! My own creation.

I have an RV that I developed when the others weren't working for me.

But I love your rolling retention vanish. It is special. I'm practicing it now and hope that I can get it to work.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks griz!

Good luck with it!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10701 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
THANKS RICK UR THE MAN ,,,,YOU AND DOC THE ONLY ONES with the visual explanations I love your coin work

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Wesley5n1p35
View Profile
New user
Illinois
44 Posts

Profile of Wesley5n1p35
Quote:
On May 4, 2020, vinsmagic wrote:
THANKS RICK UR THE MAN ,,,,YOU AND DOC THE ONLY ONES with the visual explanations I love your coin work

vinny

Honestly his teaching method is phenomenal and genuine.
Home of the first Resin 3d printed nail writer!
Free Shipping Worldwide
https://www.meticulousmagic.com/
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thank you guys so much!
I appreciate you watching.
stevie c
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Hi everyone. I just read all the posts in this thread with interest. It caught my attention because I'm pretty new to coin work and am in the early stages of study and practice.

My personal experiences of this forum thus far have been mainly positive, but there have been a few people who have really gone out of their way to be helpful, through their encouraging and detailed responses to my questions (which must to them seem very basic!!). I certainly don't need to name them all here, and in any case I thanked them personally at the time.

My point is though, that the professionalism of people like Rick Holcombe seems to go far beyond simply being good at coin magic. For people like this, their professional and respectful approach to magic is probably simply a reflection of how they conduct themselves generally.

I don't really know much about Rick (other than he's very good at coin stuff and probably likes guitars), but I do know a real professional when I see one, and so once again, thank you to those on here who go out of their way to provide support, encouragement, and practical advice to newbies like me.

Best wishes all, and now back to the ROV....

Steve
griz326
View Profile
New user
Eureka, Montana
74 Posts

Profile of griz326
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2020, Nev Blenk wrote:
I have always used the fingertip rv because it works well while seated. There are some fantastic looking retention vanishes out there with zero movement (mine is not one of them). My humble oppinion and thoughts are that if you do the move for real and take the coin there is 'some' finger movement. I try to mimic that.

Some over the shoulder practice.

Cheers - Nev

I really like your practice setup. It's great for reviewing a session, especially if you tightened the frame. I might copy it.

My first reaction to your move was, "Why so fast?"
griz326
View Profile
New user
Eureka, Montana
74 Posts

Profile of griz326
I just re-read this entire thread. Nothing starts a ****in' match faster than vocabulary. However, the specific language used by the medical profession isn't much different than the language of magic (except no one's going to die). Maybe a video glossary of terms would be useful Smile

The really funny thing is that most of this stuff is supposed to be invisible until the "Prestige" is reached...maybe a mini-prestige or pre-prestige (forgive the abduction of the movie title, please).

I love the flourishes of magic and the snap reveal/changes. As a magician (these days I use that term loosely when describing myself), I enjoy watching the sleights. There are some real dandies evolved from great moves that I learned in the 80s.

One of the things that I noticed when I first started to get serious about "re-upping" my IBM card was that the frame of reference had changed. In some ways it has been like starting at the beginning again. It's one of the things that I find really useful in Rick Holcombe's videos.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Retention Vanish (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL