The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Force from a small packet; no multiples outs -- any ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

For a prediction effect, I'm looking for a simple(ish) and direct way to force a card from a packet of perhaps 4-6 cards. Since I want to be able to show the same trick to the same people occasionally, I don't want a method that uses multiple outs/equivoque/magician's force (choose whichever phrase is appropriate Smile ). I'd also prefer to avoid "mathematical"-looking procedures, e. g., this sort of thing: you remove the top card, reverse the order of the cards in the packet, remove the new top card, etc., until only one card is left. It seems to me that any reasonably intelligent spectator would figure that the procedure led them to take the card the magician wanted them to.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Bob
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Here's one way to force the bottom card of a packet. Hold the cards face down in dealer's grip tilted slightly toward the spectator with a break above the bottom card. Tell the spectator you're going to cycle through the cards and to call out "STOP" any time. They should believe that you are continually moving the bottom card to the top, but what you're really doing is moving the 2nd card from the bottom to the top thanks to your break. Whenever they say stop, look away while tilting the packet to show them the bottom card as their selection.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Clever and simple! Thanks, Mike.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. I tried this out. Any tips on how to keep the cards aligned while doing the cycling (besides lots of practice, of course)? Also, the bottom card was pretty badly warped after being pulled down for ten seconds or so, which I'd think would be a tell. Any thoughts on how to avoid that, or quickly and secretly straighten out the card? Maybe I was just pulling down farther than I needed to.

Thanks,

Bob
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1107 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Here's a method I learnt in the mid-Eighties in Bologna, from Aldo Colombini.

Hold your packet of cards, face down, from above in right hand. Thumb inner short side. Fingers outer short side.
Force card is the bottom card.
Say you'll pass cards from top to bottom and ask spec to stop you at some point.
Start doing this with you left hand, but what you actually do is slide out top and bottom cards at the same time and transfer them to bottom.
Done quickly, spectators cannot really say what's going on.

If you try it you'll see that the bottom card (your force card) remains the same.
When you're stopped, just square the cards and lift the packet towards spectator. She/he'll see your force card.

Before the actual selection sequence, you may wish to perform a feint selection, doing the same movements, but showing a different card at the end. This is to have spectators get used to the otherwise unusual handling.

Mark
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Another great idea; thanks so much, Mark. I'll try this out.

You got to meet Colombini -- I'm jealous. I've always admired his combination of unassuming mental brilliance and personal warmth.

Bob
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2020, Bob G wrote:
P. S. I tried this out. Any tips on how to keep the cards aligned while doing the cycling (besides lots of practice, of course)? Also, the bottom card was pretty badly warped after being pulled down for ten seconds or so, which I'd think would be a tell. Any thoughts on how to avoid that, or quickly and secretly straighten out the card? Maybe I was just pulling down farther than I needed to.

If you're in dealer's grip with your thumb along the left side of the packet and your fingers at the top and right side, there's no reason for the cards not to be aligned. To be clear, you're pulling cards out from the back of the packet. You also don't need to pull down the bottom card to the point that you're bending it. You're just holding a break between that card and the rest of the packet and it doesn't need to be much bigger than a tilt break. You just need to be able to get your thumb in there so you can pull out cards (thumb on the bottom, finger(s) on top. Try doing it for real, transferring the bottom card to the top. Then do the same thing with the 2nd-from-bottom card.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Fan Force - simple and easy.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
CGMike, Thanks for the helpful additional details.

Thanks, Jim. Do you know of a good source for the Fan Force?

Bob
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, Bob G wrote:
CGMike, Thanks for the helpful additional details.

Here's a performance of Cameron Francis doing Mixed Perception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH3-hvMFn1s
At about 2:00 you can see him use this force (which is where I may have originally learned it).
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Nice to have a video to look at -- I learn best with a combination of words and video. But your words were awfully good -- I tried again before I saw your latest post and it went well.

Thanks again, Mike.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Force from a small packet; no multiples outs -- any ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL