The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On May 7, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think McConnell's sentiments were shared by many (and I also think the same is true of many current congressional Democrats WRT Trump). I also(?) agree that many people who agreed with Maher in the abstract about a recession (or even Maher himself) would have made such a tradeoff

Millionaire comedians and talk-show hosts bravely sacrificing the lives and livelihoods of the populace from the stage and golden mic.

Quote:
On May 7, 2020, RNK wrote:
Interesting how 66% of New Yorks deaths from Covid are people that are not going to work and have been staying home! This stat comes directly from the Governors mouth.

Being quarantined is only going to weaken our immune systems.

I heard this stat, but it doesn't smell right. Strict quarantine is 100% effective. Covid isn't sneaking down the chimney.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15935 Posts

Profile of tommy
That smells fishy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Interesting how 66% of New Yorks deaths from Covid are people that are not going to work and have been staying home! This stat comes directly from the Governors mouth.

I don't know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 7, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea but what WOULD they have signed on for and do you think anyone would take advantage as long as it is happening?

(This is not a one sided question because using the press briefing as a campaign podium leaps to mind as a fine example.)

To your first question, I don't know. To your second question, I suppose you can find someone somewhere willing to take advantage of anything.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2020, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On May 6, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:

FWIW, by the way, I have no doubt at all that a lot of people would have signed on for the economy tanking in 2012 if it meant Obama wouldn't be reelected.

Probably. And of course, there was this famous quote from Senate Minority Leader Mitch Mcconnell:

“The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

That being said, the unforeseen circumstances of today – global pandemic, over 75,000 Americans dead and over a million infected, 30 million unemployed in 2 months, widespread lockdowns, travel restrictions, food shortages, social unrest, lifestyle changes going forward – is no mere economic recession, and I doubt that many would have signed on for this.

Thanks.
Ron

I think McConnell's sentiments were shared by many (and I also think the same is true of many current congressional Democrats WRT Trump).

Oh, I absolutely agree with you.

Quote:
I also(?) agree that many people who agreed with Maher in the abstract about a recession (or even Maher himself) would have made such a tradeoff

Agree there as well.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

I saw that. Actually, the statistic refers to hospitalizations – not "DEATHS."

73% of the patients were 51 and older – a vulnerable demographic to begin with. More than half were either unemployed or retired. So they have no "work" to go to. Older people with no jobs are more likely to stay home than to be out and about. Also, this relies on self-reporting, so one wonders how much they really did stay at home. It’s plausible that more than a few either honestly or disingenuously (out of embarrassment?) misreported their activities. And it’s not enough to just be home. Were they washing their hands frequently, coughing into their elbow, did they have visitors, etc.?

Still, overall New York’s hospitalization rate is trending downward.

Quote:

Being dead would weaken them even more. Are you willing to take the chance to "strengthen your immune system" by publicly socializing in the absence of a vaccine/treatment?

The bottom line is that seeing a headline and then coming to hasty conclusions (“being quarantined is only going to weaken our immune systems”) without taking a deep dive into the data should be avoided.

Ron
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Yea but what WOULD they have signed on for and do you think anyone would take advantage as long as it is happening?

(This is not a one sided question because using the press briefing as a campaign podium leaps to mind as a fine example.)

To your first question, I don't know. To your second question, I suppose you can find someone somewhere willing to take advantage of anything.

Ron

I would submit that you can find wonderful examples of overstepping in an effort to bring themselves more power.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

I would submit that you can find wonderful examples of overstepping in an effort to bring themselves more power.

When one is correct and backed by science or theology there is no step too high.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15935 Posts

Profile of tommy
Although phylogenetic analysis suggests that bats were the original source of this virus, scientists have only detected about 3,200 different strains of coronavirus in bats so far and they assure us that although deforestation forces billions of bats out of their natural habitat and into our chimneys, covid isn't sneaking down the chimney and ask us to stay at home.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4834 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 7, 2020, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
I think McConnell's sentiments were shared by many (and I also think the same is true of many current congressional Democrats WRT Trump). I also(?) agree that many people who agreed with Maher in the abstract about a recession (or even Maher himself) would have made such a tradeoff

Millionaire comedians and talk-show hosts bravely sacrificing the lives and livelihoods of the populace from the stage and golden mic.

Quote:

I heard this stat, but it doesn't smell right. Strict quarantine is 100% effective. Covid isn't sneaking down the chimney.

Agree, seems weird. But what is true is that by not exposing ourselves makes our immune systems weaker.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is also true is if you want to use the right word not many are actually under "quarantine" now are they? Going to trips to the market and such simply is NOT quarantine! It is why the idea is fairly stupid when you think about it.

Not saying I have a better idea, but indeed it is one of the major flaws in the system. Just to be clear I am not even being critical of the idea. I am not saying anything bad at all about it. Just that it is not really the right word is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15935 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes, to claim “Strict quarantine is 100% effective” is irrelevant. However, the lockdown is working, in the sense that it is slowing the spread of the virus and by so doing, the hospitals can cope with the numbers from one day to the next. The cost of that benefit is the forthcoming depression.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On May 8, 2020, tommy wrote:
Yes, to claim “Strict quarantine is 100% effective” is irrelevant. However, the lockdown is working, in the sense that it is slowing the spread of the virus and by so doing, the hospitals can cope with the numbers from one day to the next. The cost of that benefit is the forthcoming depression.

It's not irrelevant. My point is that "66% of new cases in NY were staying at home." is not completely accurate. Those people got exposed by not following recommendations.
If theatres, sports and events were left open while a percentage of attendees contracted covid, their attendance would be virtually a shut-down anyway.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody can possibly say what would have happened if we didn't lock down. Lots of guesses and models that have been very inaccurate so far.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15935 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, we are where we are; we cannot turn back the clock and it is no good crying over spilt milk and all that. Apparently they are going to relax the lockdown in the UK on Monday. Remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On May 8, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Nobody can possibly say what would have happened if we didn't lock down. Lots of guesses and models that have been very inaccurate so far.

I can say I'm glad I didn't attend a movie, show or large-function in NYC two weeks ago, and wouldn't tomorrow. And I doubt I'm in the minority.

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 8, 2020, RNK wrote:

Agree, seems weird. But what is true is that by not exposing ourselves makes our immune systems weaker.

I don't think it's accurate to say that lack of exposure to a disease "makes our immune systems weaker." We just lack a certain degree of immunity to that particular disease. Other than that, our immune systems remain pretty much just as they were.

Ron
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15935 Posts

Profile of tommy
The New Yorkers who got the virus and survived it are now immune and I doubt that any one of them would be glad to swap places with you. Watch out, there is a bat behind you!

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
544 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On May 8, 2020, tommy wrote:
The New Yorkers who got the virus and survived it are now immune and I doubt that any one of them would be glad to swap places with you. Watch out, there is a bat behind you!

Common question
Do people develop immunity to the coronavirus disease after being infected?

There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection. The development of immunity to a pathogen through natural infection is a multi-step process.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL