The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..18~19~20 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think that is true. A few days ago, they mentioned on the news here, that in Canada one could still book a flight to China and back. The people at the top are many things but they are not silly and so one has to wonder why they closed the gate after the horse had bolted.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2020, tommy wrote:
In the meantime, our leaders are dropping like flies, including the Prime Minister, members of the Royal family and top advisers dealing with the issue. In short, the measures are not working despite all the talk.

In short, the measures are being implemented after many have already been exposed instead of before. The measures needed to be implemented much earlier and much more strictly, too.

Steady traffic here, many picking up food at restaurants (which I think is a non-essential practice for most). Stay home. Go out only for essentials. I think many are going out for non-essentials, indeed.

It is easy to look back and "should have" the situation. People do it all the time. It is fairly unproductive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
China has closed its borders to stop us bringing the virus in.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 'total lockdown' in the country of 1.3 billion people during a televised address Tuesday night, the most extensive stay-at-home order yet in the world’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic." March 24
https://globalnews.ca/news/6724444/coron......ockdown/
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2826 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"A 101-year-old Italian man was recently released from hospital after making a full recovery from COVID-19, according to Gloria Lisi, deputy mayor of Rimini, Italy."

"...Not only did he survive the novel coronavirus disease, the man, born in 1919, also survived the Spanish flu pandemic"
https://globalnews.ca/news/6741982/man-1......s-italy/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
When the 101-year old man asked if he'd be able to play the piano after recovering, the doctors said, most definitely. "Good," the old man replied, "I've never been able to play before."

(and that joke is probably older than the invention of mud.)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
Actually it has sparked a lot of good humour; gallows humour they call it I guess.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, tommy wrote:
China has closed its borders to stop us bringing the virus in.

Don't they actually have more cases coming in now than are domestic in origin?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
Stress tests on health services three years ago to see they could cope with a pandemic and the answer was no. So they hide the report under the carpet and did nothing to fix it. Now we have a pandemic the health services cannot cope. That is why the sick can’t go to hospitals, have to stay at home and seek medical advice the miracle workers at the Magic Café.

"Coronavirus: Which countries have confirmed cases?
More than 846, 000 infections are confirmed in at least 178 countries and territories, including at least 41,000 deaths."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/c......786.html

United States alone has 181,099 cases which is twice as many as China.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The numbers you quoted are meaningless. How many recover? How many die? How many have mild symptoms?

I mean 40,000 does yesterday from cancer.

Just quoting numbers is not enough. I don't dispute them, I dispute if they actually mean anything that can help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
They mean you can’t get a slow boat to China because unlike cancer the virus is contagious and all is number.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Take a look at this from a former Lieutenant General who was involved with the response to Hurricane Katriana on the supply chain of medical equipment--this is a real problem:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245906088911949826
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think in any kind of disaster or war it's to be expected that there will always be a level of swindling, corruption, and so on. Even in WWII it was rampant. Not saying I approve of it, but it's not surprising, and you don't dismiss the whole effort because of it. But this is beyond individuals scamming the system. The system is being set up in a truly ridiculous way that can only multiply the problem a thousand fold. This will impact many lives.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
We now have private armies, with Blackwater and so on. The big boys will soon have walled cities with private security.

When the Empire falls the armies move where the money is. That is when Attila the Hun comes calling.

In the meantime, they say half the population of the USA could get the virus and there are only one million hospital beds with about 10% of them being intensive care. So the health service, as the old report said, will be crushed. Why they don’t think the other half wouldn’t also get it, I don’t know.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's not too hard to model outcomes if no interventions are taken; but the numbers could be considerably smaller if effective interventions are happening.

It's much harder, however, to model whether the mitigating measures taken are indeed going to be effective before they are put in place for a long period of time.

Let's pray that the measures in place, or about to be taken, turn out to be effective.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Having parts of the country following measures and another part not following them is the equivalent of having a "peeing" section in a swimming pool if you ask me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's the comparison of the decade.

Every govt official who ever gives a briefing should start off with that in their PowerPoint.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair it is the first year of the decade so lots of room for improvement.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL